15 16.67%
  • D

4 4.44%
  • F

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Grade Cash's offseason so far (2013-2014)

I voted A (+)
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Re: Grade Cash's offseason so far (2013-2014)

I put a B for now. Which can easily be an A if they add another good bullpen arm. But they can't go into the season with what they have in the bullpen. The infield looks shaky too but I think they'll be alright there and even if they suck that much in the IF, they can move somebody like Gardner at the deadline if they have to.

Addicted Member

Gave him a C (+). Still need some bullpen help and not so sure about the infield.

NYYF Cy Young

considering the limited resources he had to work with, I give him an A minus
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Addicted Member

God. If we put a third of this into scouting and player development. Oh well.
    Sick of THAT debate.

Wait - are we factoring in the Tanaka signing even though that wasn't a Cashman decision?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    Sarcasm, right? They spent $503M this offseason LOL.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    I think it was genius. He spent up to ~$189m w/o A-Rod BEFORE knowing A-Rod was a zero for 2014. It came up zero, and he had already made major deals to fill the worst holes. He has only had a few hours to work since having the $189m cap officially behind him and his rotation filled out. What more could you ask, SO FAR?
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Probably a B. I love the Tanaka and McCann signings. Beltran will hopefully be good, but he is still a very old player and that's always a bit risky. The reason I cannot give him anywhere near an A is because I feel that the Elsbury contract was an obscene overpayment. I hope I eat crow on that one, but right now I feel that it's one of the biggest overpayments in recent MLB history. He's just not good enough to justify that contract.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

I give Cashman a D.

Sorry, but I'm not prepared to say he's done a good job just because Hal gave him a boatload of money to spend on buying free agents. He's made no significant trades to either obtain talent or shed dead wood.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I give Cashman a D.

Sorry, but I'm not prepared to say he's done a good job just because Hal gave him a boatload of money to spend on buying free agents. He's made no significant trades to either obtain talent or shed dead wood.
    Not trying to be a prick, but this is what I was thinking. It reminds me of the offseason everybody was calling Omar Minaya a genius for signing Beltran and Pedro, when all he did was write the biggest checks.

I'd give the Yankees offseason an A, just not sure how much credit Cashman should get.

NYYF Legend

I give Cashman a D.

Hard to argue with this. Give any GM $500M to spend in an offseason, and let's see how they do.

I give Cashman a D.

I don't disagree with your premise that he shouldn't get a standing ovation for writing big checks, but he shouldn't get dinged for it either.

D-

he's done nothing dififcult or impressive. I'm impressed by Hal and Hank's resolve, not by Cashman's ability to sign big checks. Organizational directive is still stuck in the big signing big splash era of the mid 2000s

not impressed

Let's see where we stand in scouting and player development in a couple years. Then we can talk. For now, C

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I don't disagree with your premise that he shouldn't get a standing ovation for writing big checks, but he shouldn't get dinged for it either.
    no he should be dinged for his error filled past, not anything this particular offseason

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Wow, tough crowd. I'm giving him a B+. He upgraded at C and OF, and as a result the offense. I'm concerned that he'll pretty much whiff at 2B by counting on a walking injury machine to man the position. And still concerned that 3B is good enough with a cast of spare parts competing for the job. He upgraded the rotation, but the bullpen still looks like scotch tape and bubble gum. Unlike many of my fellow fans, I like the Ellsbury signing, and Carlos is going to win many doubters over pretty quickly. I want Balfour. That'll move my grade to an A.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Wow, tough crowd. I'm giving him a B+. He upgraded at C and OF, and as a result the offense. I'm concerned that he'll pretty much whiff at 2B by counting on a walking injury machine to man the position. And still concerned that 3B is good enough with a cast of spare parts competing for the job. He upgraded the rotation, but the bullpen still looks like scotch tape and bubble gum. Unlike many of my fellow fans, I like the Ellsbury signing, and Carlos is going to win many doubters over pretty quickly. I want Balfour. That'll move my grade to an A.
    If someone gave you half a billion dollars to spend as was given to Cash, you could have done the same job. Does that make you a shrewd GM?

Not trying to be disrespectful, just trying to understand why you're impressed with Cashman's ability to spend someone else's money.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    You're too generous. You're giving him a B+ for spending $500m, and then he gets an A if he spends an additional $20m on Balfour?

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I can understand not grading him that high but for those giving him a D please explain what he did this off season that was bad?
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I can understand not grading him that high but for those giving him a D please explain what he did this off season that was bad?
    some of us posters here are from that old school mindset, the pre participation trophy era, the time before rampant grade inflation in our education system. For us, unless you do something deserving of praise, you are performing at a D level. and that's where Cash is at.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    It's not a question of him doing anything bad as much as it's a question of has he really done anything that any drone with $500 million to spend couldn't have done?

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

It's not a question of him doing anything bad as much as it's a question of has he really done anything that any drone with $500 million to spend could have done?
    Ok but again with that being the criteria how can any grade be given, I can understand not giving high praise but to give a D that means he did something wrong. Three players took less to come here (Ellsbury, Beltran, Tanaka) that should count for something.
    Life is good!

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I think it was genius. He spent up to ~$189m w/o A-Rod BEFORE knowing A-Rod was a zero for 2014. It came up zero, and he had already made major deals to fill the worst holes. He has only had a few hours to work since having the $189m cap officially behind him and his rotation filled out. What more could you ask, SO FAR?
    So are you saying he might have made more free agent moves if he had known for certain there'd be no A-Rod in the equation? Because, in hindsight, it looks like they would have signed Tanaka regardless.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Quote Originally Posted by yanksftw View Post
    some of us posters here are from that old school mindset, the pre participation trophy era, the time before rampant grade inflation in our education system. For us, unless you do something deserving of praise, you are performing at a D level. and that's where Cash is at.
    Haha, what the hell. I'd be willing to bet that most, if not all, of the posters on this board who lived through the 60's and 70's never claimed that the Yankees would have to fight for their fandom. Why you're still allowed to post here is beyond me. There's rational critique (like the one Zimmer made) of the FO/Cashman and then there's you.

Quote Originally Posted by yanksftw View Post
    I announced about a month or two ago when they let go of cano that Yankees had to compete for my fandom this season

I'm glad they responded to my challenge

Thread Information