View Poll Results: What do the Yankees do with A-Rod's salary?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get Tanaka and worry about next year next year

    34 65.38%
  • Get other players and worry about next year next year

    2 3.85%
  • Sit tight under the salary cap

    9 17.31%
  • Figure out how to get A-Rod suspended again next year

    7 13.46%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Danville, NH

    Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    The Yankees save A-Rod's salary this year. The salary comes back next year for an older, year-out-of-baseball A-Rod. What does this mean to the FO?

    If you want other players signed, please post their names/salary below.

    If you would not like to see A-Rod in Pinstripes going forward, what's your plan? Can they get him to retire? Could he go out on an injury? How would this impact future salary.

    Thanks for playing!

  2. #2
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    You have to get under the salary cap while you can. That alone will save them enough money for a good player.

    Get under now, add some big pieces next year (saving a lot in not adding a player + LT savings), shed Teix and Jeter the year after and add some big pieces, replace CC the year after and add more. Then Arod is off the books.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  3. #3
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Itu, São Paulo, Brazil

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    You have to get under the salary cap while you can. That alone will save them enough money for a good player.

    Get under now, add some big pieces next year (saving a lot in not adding a player + LT savings), shed Teix and Jeter the year after and add some big pieces, replace CC the year after and add more. Then Arod is off the books.
    I think Tanaka will decide. By that I that mean I think they will offer Tanaka THEIR number, and if he takes it, so be it, bust the cap. If he doesn't, stay under the cap, go with what you have, and solve the pitching next year. I doubt they bust through for anybody else that's out there and I doubt they go overboard on their Tanaka bid.

    P.S. That's what I'd do, too.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  4. #4

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    I don't get this. What is the difference between 162 games plus playoffs and 183 days?

    "As for the Yankees, they get out of a great deal of Rodriguez’s contract for the 2014 season. Because the penalty was for 162 games, not 183 days (what is considered a full season), the Yankees will still be charged $3,155,737.70 toward their luxury-tax payroll. But that means they got out of $24,344,262.30 of the $27.5 million that is the annual charge for A-Rod for luxury tax purposes."

    http://nypost.com/2014/01/11/a-rods-...of-his-career/

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    Eldee5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina (Originally NJ)

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post
    I don't get this. What is the difference between 162 games plus playoffs and 183 days?

    "As for the Yankees, they get out of a great deal of Rodriguez’s contract for the 2014 season. Because the penalty was for 162 games, not 183 days (what is considered a full season), the Yankees will still be charged $3,155,737.70 toward their luxury-tax payroll. But that means they got out of $24,344,262.30 of the $27.5 million that is the annual charge for A-Rod for luxury tax purposes."

    http://nypost.com/2014/01/11/a-rods-...of-his-career/
    It sounds odd to me too but watching the MLB Network earlier today, I think it was Ken Rosenthal who said that salary within the MLB season is based on 162 plus off days totalling 183.

  6. #6

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Happy days are here again!

  7. #7
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    It sounds odd to me too but watching the MLB Network earlier today, I think it was Ken Rosenthal who said that salary within the MLB season is based on 162 plus off days totalling 183.
    Lol. So he doesn't get paid on days when games are played, but DOES get paid on days where they're not. Makes perfect sense.

    "Your conduct is so egregious that we are suspending you without pay for an entire year, but go ahead and enjoy a nice two weeks of paid vacation."

  8. #8
    NYYF Triple Crown

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post
    I don't get this. What is the difference between 162 games plus playoffs and 183 days?

    "As for the Yankees, they get out of a great deal of Rodriguez’s contract for the 2014 season. Because the penalty was for 162 games, not 183 days (what is considered a full season), the Yankees will still be charged $3,155,737.70 toward their luxury-tax payroll. But that means they got out of $24,344,262.30 of the $27.5 million that is the annual charge for A-Rod for luxury tax purposes."

    http://nypost.com/2014/01/11/a-rods-...of-his-career/

    I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the reported $3M he will be receiving on Jan. 15th?


    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1571326
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  9. #9
    let's go rangers! Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    I have no doubt Alex will be back next year.

  10. #10

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    You have to get under the salary cap while you can. That alone will save them enough money for a good player.

    Get under now, add some big pieces next year (saving a lot in not adding a player + LT savings), shed Teix and Jeter the year after and add some big pieces, replace CC the year after and add more. Then Arod is off the books.
    Agreed. Pass on tanaka. Go for sherz next year.

    Bidding on tanaka prolly gonna be the 140-150 range anyways. Why not go more n just go all out on sherzer?

    Spend the 20+ mill u were gonna spend on tanaka on signing everyone and their grandma on international talent that dont require a MLB contract? Or hire 100 more coaches to individually babysit every prospect til they dont suck

    Frankly, tank 2014 n go thru a bridge year. Its about time...

    Heck, trade CC when the dodgers or angels get desperate midseason...

  11. #11
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    Agreed. Pass on tanaka. Go for sherz next year.

    Bidding on tanaka prolly gonna be the 140-150 range anyways. Why not go more n just go all out on sherzer?

    Spend the 20+ mill u were gonna spend on tanaka on signing everyone and their grandma on international talent that dont require a MLB contract? Or hire 100 more coaches to individually babysit every prospect til they dont suck

    Frankly, tank 2014 n go thru a bridge year. Its about time...

    Heck, trade CC when the dodgers or angels get desperate midseason...
    And what if Scherzer doesn't make it to FA?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  12. #12

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    I think it is possible that Alex's suspension makes the signing of Tanaka or any other major league free agent much less likely. The suspension enables the Yankees to stay under 189 in 2014. There was no chance of this if the suspension was reduced to 50 games or less.

    Winning does not seem likely in 2014 even with Tanaka, not even with the addition of a few others like Reynolds and Balfour. The Yankees already made their free agent publicity to sell season tickets. It is possible that they now are going to tread water in 2014 and aim to start anew to try to rebuild a championship caliber team starting in 2015. I do not know whether that is a good business strategy, but it does not seem to me to be a bad baseball strategy.

    If they do make the huge offer necessary to sign Tanaka, I think it will reflect an extremely high evaluation of his talent (wrong or right), rather than desperation to be competitive this year.

  13. #13

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Get Tanaka and worry about next year next year

    They already pussyfooted around $189 last year and that got us out of the playoffs and the lowest attendance and ratings they've had in some time. They publicly claim a commitment to excellence and winning trumps all attitude. Good. That's the team I'm a fan of. The roster as presently constituted does not appear to have a realistic shot at being the best in the league. So pump some money into the rotation, fill the other holes on the roster, and worry about $189 when we have a roster that's good enough to win and get under that #. They can reset the tax any year, it doesn't have to be 2014. It's Jeter's last year. Go all in. Please.

  14. #14
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    Get Tanaka and worry about next year next year

    They already pussyfooted around $189 last year and that got us out of the playoffs and the lowest attendance and ratings they've had in some time. They publicly claim a commitment to excellence and winning trumps all attitude. Good. That's the team I'm a fan of. The roster as presently constituted does not appear to have a realistic shot at being the best in the league. So pump some money into the rotation, fill the other holes on the roster, and worry about $189 when we have a roster that's good enough to win and get under that #. They can reset the tax any year, it doesn't have to be 2014. It's Jeter's last year. Go all in. Please.
    I feel the same way about Tanaka. I don't have any illusions that it will make them a favorite this year, but the chance to get a solid or better pitcher in his prime years is too big of an opportunity to pass up. This is a move for a at least the next six years, not just 2014
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  15. #15
    #notonemore Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    Get Tanaka and worry about next year next year

    They already pussyfooted around $189 last year and that got us out of the playoffs and the lowest attendance and ratings they've had in some time. They publicly claim a commitment to excellence and winning trumps all attitude. Good. That's the team I'm a fan of. The roster as presently constituted does not appear to have a realistic shot at being the best in the league. So pump some money into the rotation, fill the other holes on the roster, and worry about $189 when we have a roster that's good enough to win and get under that #. They can reset the tax any year, it doesn't have to be 2014. It's Jeter's last year. Go all in. Please.
    1B is a question mark this year. Teixeira is coming off two injury seasons at age 34.
    2B is a question mark this year. Roberts is coming off four injury seasons at age 36.
    SS is a question mark this year. Jeter is coming off an injury season at age 40.
    3B is a question mark this year, with A-Rod suspended.

    CL is a question mark this year with Rivera retired.

    SP is a question mark this year, with Sabathia coming off his career-worst season at age 33. Pettitte is retired. Kuroda is 39. Pineda is coming off two injury-lost seasons.

    What gives anyone, the idea that we can contend this season even with one or two more signings?

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  16. #16

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    You're right, let's just not even bother playing next year

  17. #17
    NYYF Triple Crown

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    Get Tanaka and worry about next year next year

    They already pussyfooted around $189 last year and that got us out of the playoffs and the lowest attendance and ratings they've had in some time. They publicly claim a commitment to excellence and winning trumps all attitude. Good. That's the team I'm a fan of. The roster as presently constituted does not appear to have a realistic shot at being the best in the league. So pump some money into the rotation, fill the other holes on the roster, and worry about $189 when we have a roster that's good enough to win and get under that #. They can reset the tax any year, it doesn't have to be 2014. It's Jeter's last year. Go all in. Please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan In Boston View Post
    I feel the same way about Tanaka. I don't have any illusions that it will make them a favorite this year, but the chance to get a solid or better pitcher in his prime years is too big of an opportunity to pass up. This is a move for a at least the next six years, not just 2014

    I agree with all the above-well said!! If Hal doesn't spend the dollars needed to contend, I will feel that I've been lied to.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  18. #18

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I have no doubt Alex will be back next year.
    Yes, as a peanut salesman in the far reaches of the left field grandstand. On a baseball field in a MLB uniform? Far less likely. He is a pariah, and will be treated as such by every GM in baseball.

  19. #19
    let's go rangers! Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsuwxman View Post
    Yes, as a peanut salesman in the far reaches of the left field grandstand. On a baseball field in a MLB uniform? Far less likely. He is a pariah, and will be treated as such by every GM in baseball.
    Im not so sure the Yankees will just eat all that money. It's nice to think in terms of sunshines and rainbows but in the real works Alex is going to get every penny he's owed.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Greenwave81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    If the NYY could offer ARod a buyout at say 50% owed, and not have the full value of his deal hit the salary cap, they probably would at this point.

    And if ARod wasn't an a*hole, he'd take it...but he wouldn't...in fact, he'd probably sue the NYY for offering.

    It is what it is, and it ain't pretty.

    I hated when the NYY revisited ARod's extension, and hate it even more now. Wish they would have cut ties and let this soap opera played out elsewhere.

  21. #21
    Master Of Puppets The-Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Temples Of Syrinx

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    Get Tanaka and worry about next year next year

    They already pussyfooted around $189 last year and that got us out of the playoffs and the lowest attendance and ratings they've had in some time. They publicly claim a commitment to excellence and winning trumps all attitude. Good. That's the team I'm a fan of. The roster as presently constituted does not appear to have a realistic shot at being the best in the league. So pump some money into the rotation, fill the other holes on the roster, and worry about $189 when we have a roster that's good enough to win and get under that #. They can reset the tax any year, it doesn't have to be 2014. It's Jeter's last year. Go all in. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I feel the same way about Tanaka. I don't have any illusions that it will make them a favorite this year, but the chance to get a solid or better pitcher in his prime years is too big of an opportunity to pass up. This is a move for a at least the next six years, not just 2014

    ^^^This X1000^^^
    In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King........

  22. #22
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81 View Post
    If the NYY could offer ARod a buyout at say 50% owed, and not have the full value of his deal hit the salary cap, they probably would at this point.

    And if ARod wasn't an a*hole, he'd take it...but he wouldn't...in fact, he'd probably sue the NYY for offering.

    It is what it is, and it ain't pretty.

    I hated when the NYY revisited ARod's extension, and hate it even more now. Wish they would have cut ties and let this soap opera played out elsewhere.
    The Yanks could offer it - ARod could accept, it would not matter in the least, the MLBPA will not allow a buyout for a penny less than contract value. Period.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  23. #23
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Im not so sure the Yankees will just eat all that money. It's nice to think in terms of sunshines and rainbows but in the real works Alex is going to get every penny he's owed.
    You are absolutely correct. A-Rod is not going to leave money on the table and the Yankees are not going to pay Alex millions to party at club LIV and lay on the beach. He'll be back.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  24. #24
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    The Yanks could offer it - ARod could accept, it would not matter in the least, the MLBPA will not allow a buyout for a penny less than contract value. Period.
    At this point, the MLBPA might endorse such a deal just to get Alex out of their membership.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  25. #25
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: Impact of A-Rod Suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    Get Tanaka and worry about next year next year

    They already pussyfooted around $189 last year and that got us out of the playoffs and the lowest attendance and ratings they've had in some time. They publicly claim a commitment to excellence and winning trumps all attitude. Good. That's the team I'm a fan of. The roster as presently constituted does not appear to have a realistic shot at being the best in the league. So pump some money into the rotation, fill the other holes on the roster, and worry about $189 when we have a roster that's good enough to win and get under that #. They can reset the tax any year, it doesn't have to be 2014. It's Jeter's last year. Go all in. Please.
    Agree completely.

    Although it being Mo's and Andy's last year didn't move the FO much.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts