+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Devoted Member

Instant replay 2014 - will fans at YS see videos before and after umpires decisions?

Baseball's goal is to have replays take 1 minute, 15 seconds or less. In recent tests at the Arizona Fall League, reviews averaged 1 minute, 40 seconds.

What will fans at Yankee Stadium see on the big screen on the scoreboard both before and after the umpires decisions?

Re: Instant replay 2014 - will fans at YS see videos before and after umpires decisio

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post
    Baseball's goal is to have replays take 1 minute, 15 seconds or less. In recent tests at the Arizona Fall League, reviews averaged 1 minute, 40 seconds.

What will fans at Yankee Stadium see on the big screen on the scoreboard both before and after the umpires decisions?
    Theme to Jeopardy with this:

Followed by Regis Philbin asking "Is that your FINAL answer?"
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Re: Instant replay 2014 - will fans at YS see videos before and after umpires decisio

A montage of all the bad calls that went against the Yankees the last few years.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

I think it depends on who they line up to sponsor the replay review
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Reruns of the Subway Race of the evening?

NYYF Legend

"This replay challenge is sponsored by..."

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post

No, they will never show replays of disputed (or disputable) calls, not at Yankee Stadium or any other stadium.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    No, they will never show replays of disputed (or disputable) calls, not at Yankee Stadium or any other stadium.
    Maybe not officially - but every TV in the stands, on concession lines, in the Audi Club, etc. that is broadcasting the game is showing fans in the Stadium the replay. So many are seeing it one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Maybe not officially - but every TV in the stands, on concession lines, in the Audi Club, etc. that is broadcasting the game is showing fans in the Stadium the replay. So many are seeing it one way or another.
    Maybe so, though those people should be in their seats, watching the game. In any case, the point is that they'll never allow those replays to be shown on a huge screen in front of the umpires.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Maybe so, though those people should be in their seats, watching the game. In any case, the point is that they'll never allow those replays to be shown on a huge screen in front of the umpires.

I would guess MLB would have some sort of rule not allowing replays on the main video boards. They are not going to allow showing if the umpires made a bad call.

Probably work like the NFL, if it looks like it may favor the home they will show it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    "This replay challenge is sponsored by..."
    Memorex. Rely on Memorex for your game's crucial moments. Rely on Memorex. Ya'know Suzyn, I just can't help repeating myself. Memorex.....
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Probably work like the NFL, if it looks like it may favor the home they will show it.

I found this article but I don't go to NFL games, maybe someone who does will share what they get to see

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...s-as-officials

The trend has to be to let fans get the best possible experience when paying to attend in person.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I would guess MLB would have some sort of rule not allowing replays on the main video boards. They are not going to allow showing if the umpires made a bad call.
    I thought the point of instant replay is to get the bad calls corrected immediately.

NFL stadiums show the video that the officials are looking at to determine replay calls. Why would MLB not do the same thing?

MLB is at least considering allowing the replays to be shown on stadium screens:

[MLB chief operating officer Rob] Manfred appeared to indicate that the video being reviewed in New York could be shown to fans in stadiums or possibly on television broadcasts.

“I think you can expect that there will be as part of this package expanded use of in-stadium video boards,” he said.
    Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-instantreplay

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

I would think that rule would be bent for plays that are being reviewed via instant replay.
    27-Time World Champions

Disputed calls in hockey are shown on the scoreboard while being reviewed. Why not baseball?
    You can't get a sun-tan on the moon.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Disputed calls in hockey are shown on the scoreboard while being reviewed. Why not baseball?
    Since there are only 163 people who watch NHL games, it doesn't matter so much.

(Sorry, Steve. I've been good. It's been a long time since I've taken that particular cheap shot.)

I had no idea the NHL was gaining more viewership.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

(meanwhile - I tune into hockey when I'm surfing for something to watch)
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

(Sorry, Steve. I've been good. It's been a long time since I've taken that particular cheap shot.)
    My point is still valid. Hrmph.
    You can't get a sun-tan on the moon.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Cy Young

But there are 80K+ fans at an NFL game and it's not an issue there . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    My point is still valid. Hrmph.

. . . yes it is.

Fearing that the fans will riot if they see a reply of a bad call . . . do they think this is soccer?

There are enough TVs in today's stadiums showing replays you can actually hear the fans cheer/groan response on TV/radio when they see it. This is an outdated rule.

Maybe in 1995 fan reaction/rioting would have been an issue. Today's crowd is more likely to riot if the diamond vision announces bobble head night is cancelled or Metro North is not running more so then a call going against the Yankees

I cannot begin to tell you how infuriating it is to see Rangers games on MSG+ while the terrible Knicks continue to get the prime spot on MSG. The Rangers aren't contending for anything special either, but at least they aren't tanking for a non-existent draft pick.

Thread Information