The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: How horrible was Bucky Dent ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...dentbu01.shtml

He hit 40 hr's in his career !

Got caugrt stealing way more often than stealing the bag

kind of done at age 30.

He'd make Nunez look like Cal Ripken,
    And yet, somehow, he was given the 'f' word for a middle name and a place in baseball lore.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Life is short. Drink beer yankeeman61's Avatar

kind of done at age 30.

Not bad for a guy who used half a bat. He choked up about a foot
    (Signature removed by moderator. No animated images allowed in sigs. Feel free to use a conventional, small-size image. Thanks for your understanding.)

NYYF HOF

that was a different era. A guy could hit in the low .200s and get away with being a role playing guy but he managed to start and hold down the fort at SS for the Yanks. Not recalling the stats, I do remember he played well when they needed it, like Brosius. He was more of a pop idol, he had the haircut and the girls thought he was cute and I believe he posed for Playgirl and had cameos on TV shows. He put fannies in the seats..
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

kind of done at age 30.

New Year's Eve is over. Stop drinking.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    New Year's Eve is over. Stop drinking.
    I'm a pro !

I got curious about his career because his cleats were on a Pawn Stars re-run. I remember the 1978 HR as I 'm 50 now or 15 then.

But honestly his stats don't look very good looking back. There must have been a lot better SS players than him in the years he played....I'm sure not the big slugger types like A-Rod, even Ripken and the later crop of shortstops that were 6'4' like Jeter, A-rod, Ripken, etc.

Still Bucky looks like weak sauce.

If I remember correctly he fouled a pitch off of his foot, then hit that HR ?

more times caught stealing than successful, LOL !

He had to be in the lower 20% of his fellow MLB Shortstops.

Three time all star, despite a below .300 obp, almost no power and limited range.

Different era back then....

Yeah, Bucky played in a far different era than what we have today. He was actually known as a decent-hitting shortstop with a pretty good glove. He was what I would call a very solid shortstop overall. Obviously, the 1978 homer at Fenway made his career, but he also had a helluva World Series that year (10-for-24, 7 RBIs). He was Series MVP, though I thought Nettles should have gotten it because he played out of his mind at third base and probably saved like 10 runs in that Series.

Anyway, yeah, you look at Dent's stats now and they don't look good at all. But you have to judge him in the context of his era. In those days, if a SS hit .250, he was considered a pretty good hitter for his position. And Dent really fit those Yankee teams of big stars and even bigger egos nicely and came through when they needed him to, so he gets credit in my book for being a very good shortstop.

NYYF Legend

This is where the Sabermatics fanatics go wrong. Pure stats don't tell all. You had to see him play to appreciate him. No he wasn't a superstar, but he was more valuable than the stats would indicate

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

kind of done at age 30.

Bucky's numbers do not look good today, but in comparison to his peers, they are similar.

Take Bert Campaneris, for example. Bert Campaneris Statistics at Baseball Reference

Or Freddy Patek, the SS on the 1978 KC Royals, who the Yankees beat to get to the WS Freddy Patek Statistics at Baseball Reference

Let's also remember what the REST OF THE TEAM looked like in 77/78. Chambliss, Randolph, Dent, Nettles, Rivers, Reggie, Roy White, Munson... They didn't need him to be a great hitter - just a dependable shortstop, which he was...

Seems like I forgot someone... Sweet Lou was usually in RF with Reggie serving as DH.
    Last edited by Yankee Steve; 01-04-14 at 08:15 AM.

Shortstops just weren't big hitters for the most part until Cal Ripken came along. It's been a lot more common since then.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Shortstops just weren't big hitters for the most part until Cal Ripken came along. It's been a lot more common since then.
    Yep. Different era.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Bucky was a dependable shortstop (in the words of Tommy John - an out is out with Dent at SS) but he wasn't a dazzling fielder who took away hits in the weak hitting/great glove Mark Belanger mold.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Let's not overestimate Dent offensively. He was at the tail end of the era of the light-hitting shortstop; contemporary with him, and before Ripken, guys like Yount and Trammell and Templeton and even Toby Harrah were around. (Also remember that Patek and Campaneris were base-stealers.)

Dent was a pretty good fielder - decent but not great range, made the plays he could get to. For the Yankees, the most important thing was that he was adequate. In 1976, they had Jim Mason and Fred Stanley at SS, both entirely inadequate. Dent was overrated as a Yankee, but he was a perfectly decent major-league shortstop, which was what they needed.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I'm going to take this opportunity to tell a Phil Rizzuto story. The Yanks were playing an away game, I think it was Boston, at the time when new public address announcers were popping up who would announce the starting lineups like today's NBA announcers, loud and boisterous etc. Rizzuto didn't like it, and listening to Bob Sheppard's stately voice for years had him convinced that there was no other way. So the Yankee lineup was being introduced and you could hear it clearly in the background. After every name Rizzuto had a comment. "I can't believe this." Next name...."Can you believe this, White?" Finally, the announcer finishes with "BUCK-YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Dennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnt!" This time Rizzuto really raises his voice, "Oh man, this guy has GOT TO GO!" After all these years I can remember that...probably because not too many announcers could get away with criticizing somebody the way Phil did. For those of us who listened in the 60s and 70s we have lots of good Rizzuto stories, although I don't know if they translate well into words.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

I'm going to take this opportunity to tell a Phil Rizzuto story. The Yanks were playing an away game, I think it was Boston, at the time when new public address announcers were popping up who would announce the starting lineups like today's NBA announcers, loud and boisterous etc. Rizzuto didn't like it, and listening to Bob Sheppard's stately voice for years had him convinced that there was no other way. So the Yankee lineup was being introduced and you could hear it clearly in the background. After every name Rizzuto had a comment. "I can't believe this." Next name...."Can you believe this, White?" Finally, the announcer finishes with "BUCK-YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Dennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnt!" This time Rizzuto really raises his voice, "Oh man, this guy has GOT TO GO!" After all these years I can remember that...probably because not too many announcers could get away with criticizing somebody the way Phil did. For those of us who listened in the 60s and 70s we have lots of good Rizzuto stories, although I don't know if they translate well into words.
    "I'll be home soon, Cora!"

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Let's not overestimate Dent offensively. He was at the tail end of the era of the light-hitting shortstop; contemporary with him, and before Ripken, guys like Yount and Trammell and Templeton and even Toby Harrah were around. (Also remember that Patek and Campaneris were base-stealers.)

Dent was a pretty good fielder - decent but not great range, made the plays he could get to. For the Yankees, the most important thing was that he was adequate. In 1976, they had Jim Mason and Fred Stanley at SS, both entirely inadequate. Dent was overrated as a Yankee, but he was a perfectly decent major-league shortstop, which was what they needed.
    A good assessment, and of course he hit one of the most memorable homers in Yankee history, which gives him a free pass into Yankee stardom in my book, so I don't ever want to hear anything bad about Bucky Dent. ...or Aaron Boone.
    Let the kids play.

A good assessment, and of course he hit one of the most memorable homers in Yankee history, which gives him a free pass into Yankee stardom in my book, so I don't ever want to hear anything bad about Bucky Dent. ...or Aaron Boone.
    He had also had a fine offensive series against the Dodgers in 78 World Series. He might have been named the series mvp but I'm not certain about that. (I think light hitting Brian Doyle also came up big in that series)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    "I'll be home soon, Cora!"
    Especially if there's a storm.

"Sky's getting dark here at the stadium.....Peterson winds, and the pitch is outside, ball one,"

Loud crack of thunder.
    Sound of dropped microphone.
    Sound of chair being pushed away from desk.
    15 minutes of radio silence, other than background crowd noise.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Triple Crown

Here's a couple of somehow-slightly-related questions:

Who was an overall better player, Bucky Dent or Aaron Boone?

A couple of power-hitting shortstops succeeded both players:

Roy Smalley succeeded Bucky @ SS in 1983. They were both around 30 at the time. Who was the better player?

A-Rod succeeded Boone @ 3B in 2003. Boone was 30, A-Rod was 27. Based purely on speculation and since Aaron's brother is Bret, who did more PEDs, Aaron or Alex?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Here's a couple of somehow-slightly-related questions:

Who was an overall better player, Bucky Dent or Aaron Boone?

A couple of power-hitting shortstops succeeded both players:

Roy Smalley succeeded Bucky @ SS in 1983. They were both around 30 at the time. Who was the better player?

A-Rod succeeded Boone @ 3B in 2003. Boone was 30, A-Rod was 27. Based purely on speculation and since Aaron's brother is Bret, who did more PEDs, Aaron or Alex?
    Smalley, Jr had back issues and his best days were behind him when the Yankees got him. He was an offensive SS and his offense was greatly diminished by then. At leasthat's how I remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    He had also had a fine offensive series against the Dodgers in 78 World Series. I might have been named the series mvp but I'm not certain about that. (I think light hitting Brian Doyle also came up big in that series)
    Doyle and Dent were spraying the ball all over the place in that series.
    Let the kids play.

Doyle and Dent were spraying the ball all over the place in that series.
    I remember Johnny Carson poking fun at Dent in one of his monologues during the series. He said something like, 'Bucky Dent? That's not a person's name, that's the name of a denture cream for beavers'.

Thread Information