+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 2014 Brian Roberts Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    I LOL'd.
    i hadnt heard this, so i looked it up

"In frustration [after a strikeout], I whacked myself on the head with my bat in the ninth. I had my helmet on," Roberts told reporters. "It's something I've done a million times, but I still can't tell you for sure if that was it. But that's the only thing that I can point to because that night and the next morning, I just didn't feel good. So it's been going on since then."
    like delv, but better

What was Nick Johnson's old number?

It's seems somewhat appropriate...

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Billy #1 View Post
    What was Nick Johnson's old number?

It's seems somewhat appropriate...
    He wore #60 (now David Huff), #36 (to be Beltran's) and #26 (Nunez) - since Nunez is the least valuable, I would give him #26.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Yeah, I think Diana Munson and millions of Yankee fans might have a problem with him wearing #15....
    60 is available, though, isn't it?

EDIT: I didn't even know 60 was once Nick Johnson's number! Very appropriate, if we're thinking in terms of the DL!

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    He wore #60 (now David Huff), #36 (to be Beltran's) and #26 (Nunez) - since Nunez is the least valuable, I would give him #26.
    We still have Huff?

Oof.....How many underwhelming LOOGYs do we need?
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    We still have Huff?

Oof.....How many underwhelming LOOGYs do we need?
    But let's leave Kahnle unprotected and not sign Adams.

Addicted Member

According to ESPN, it's a done deal. 1 year, $2 million...
    Is Roberts really a done deal? I haven't seen anything to make it official. He's not listed on the official team site under active roster or on the 40 man. And I don't recall him being introduced to the media. Maybe he's pending a physical? Or failed one? Just curious.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    Is Roberts really a done deal? I haven't seen anything to make it official. He's not listed on the official team site under active roster or on the 40 man. And I don't recall him being introduced to the media. Maybe he's pending a physical? Or failed one? Just curious.
    I suspect it has to do with the fact that the Yankees do not have an open 40-man roster spot right now. Once the deal is announced, the Yankees would have to DFA someone (yes, players like Huff & Wells can easily be waived), but Cashman would prefer not to for whatever reason.

Could there be interest in Huff or Wells (or other small parts of the 40-man roster) and Cash is trying to extract every centavo he possibly can? Of course, if he got anything, even a 39 year old never been out of A ball player, the acquiring team would be paying too much.

I suspect it has to do with the fact that the Yankees do not have an open 40-man roster spot right now. Once the deal is announced, the Yankees would have to DFA someone (yes, players like Huff & Wells can easily be waived), but Cashman would prefer not to for whatever reason.

Could there be interest in Huff or Wells (or other small parts of the 40-man roster) and Cash is trying to extract every centavo he possibly can? Of course, if he got anything, even a 39 year old never been out of A ball player, the acquiring team would be paying too much.
    Maybe cash is waiting to see if an injury will occur to roberts before he puts pen to paper and signs his contract? Roberts is prolly sweating bullets and trying not to move, just in case

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

ESPN reporting Yankees officially announce signing of Brian Roberts to a one-year deal.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

ESPN reporting Yankees officially announce signing of Brian Roberts to a one-year deal.
    Continuing their plan of constructing a completely kick-ass 2009 roster.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Continuing their plan of constructing a completely kick-ass 2009 roster.
    It worked in 2009...

Yeah, I think Diana Munson and millions of Yankee fans might have a problem with him wearing #15....
    I was definitely serious.

Sorry if I missed it, but has anybody heard what number he will be wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by cpc98 View Post
    Sorry if I missed it, but has anybody heard what number he will be wearing?
    Nothing announced yet. The official Yankees roster has it as blank right now. I think #14 might be the lowest available number.

Although with A-Rod not officially on the roster, and Roberts on a 1-year deal, it would be funny to assign him #13.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Nothing announced yet. The official Yankees roster has it as blank right now. I think #14 might be the lowest available number.

Although with A-Rod not officially on the roster, and Roberts on a 1-year deal, it would be funny to assign him #13.
    He'd probably sue the team
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

And if ARod decides to come to ST, the Yankees should assign him #83.

And if ARod decides to come to ST, the Yankees should assign him #83.
    Do they allow triple digits? 666 is looking pretty good in the eyes of Selig right about now...

NYYF Legend

Roberts claims he's healthy ... haven't we heard this before?

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2014/01/2...-playing-time/

Video here:

http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/vide...nt_id=31315997

Roberts is an intriguing player. Yes, there's a good chance he's going to miss a month with an ingrown toenail and a week with a toothache. But, when he's been on the field, he's still performed at a high level. If the Yanks get an above average 2B that can play solid D and provide an occasional offensive spark, I'll take it (and the millions that they saved over Cano, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Roberts claims he's healthy ... haven't we heard this before?

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2014/01/2...-playing-time/

Video here:

http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/vide...nt_id=31315997
    I'm getting flashbacks to that video where Jack Curry watched Kevin Youkilis cook an omelet while talking about the year he was going to have in 2013.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by RabidJack View Post
    Roberts is an intriguing player. Yes, there's a good chance he's going to miss a month with an ingrown toenail and a week with a toothache. But, when he's been on the field, he's still performed at a high level. If the Yanks get an above average 2B that can play solid D and provide an occasional offensive spark, I'll take it (and the millions that they saved over Cano, of course).
    Roberts doesn't just miss a week or a month once in a while. He's averaged 48 games a year the last 4 years. As for his on-field performance....246/.310/.359 over those same 4 years.

He used to be a really good player.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Brian Roberts sucks. Still have nightmares of his walk-off homerun vs. Mo at Camden yards about 8 years ago. Unfortunately, we're going to get a tiny fraction of that type of production this year. If he even plays!

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieTinoTex View Post
    Brian Roberts sucks.
    Perhaps this should be re-phrased. It's a bit offensive, especially if Brian is sensitive and happens to be reading. After all, the man's had a serious concussion. He might hire someone to hunt you down like a dog and slit your throat in a dark alley somewhere in Jersey. Tell me you won't then have real nightmares. :-)

Community Standards:
    Bashing Players, Managers, the Media, etc:
    Bashing of players, anyone who works for the Yankees or covers the Yankees will not be tolerated. That goes for ALL players and ALL teams. But remember - negative analysis is NOT bashing, provided it is backed up with fact. For example: Bashing a player would be saying: "Derek Jeter sucks!" Whereas a legitimate analysis of a player would be: "I don't think that Derek Jeter is the best defensive shortstop in the league, but based on his fielding percentage and range factor, he isn't near the bottom of the list either." In addition, bashing players on other teams, other athletes, celebrities or others in the public eye will also not be tolerated.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

He's a Yankee now, so I'm rooting for him to ... not suck. And to stay on the field while not sucking.

Thread Information