+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6
Results 126 to 145 of 145
  1. #126
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    They should let them duke it out with bats to see who gets the spot. Anna won't have a mark on him.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  2. #127

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    This board might actually explode (well, overwhelm its servers) if Nunez makes the roster over Anna.
    I would almost be willing to bet that no one on this forum has ever seen Anna play so let's not go crazy here...

  3. #128
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    I would almost be willing to bet that no one on this forum has ever seen Anna play so let's not go crazy here...

    I think his point was that we have all seen Nunez play, though.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

  4. #129
    NYYF Legend

    flymick24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    What's it to you?

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    i can see roberts getting hurt 1/4 into the season and the yankees having to rely on a bunch of retreads at 2B, stirring up dissension amongst the fandom

    then, cashman will inevitably trade for cliff lee and chase utley from the sub-.500 phillies by the all-star break and then suddenly, all will be well in yankeeland
    help feed the hungry:

    www.thehungersite.com

  5. #130

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    get Scott Sizemore. league minimum, coming off injury. flexible. good mL numbers. decent in short time in majors. GET HIM

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=sizemo001sco
    like delv, but better

  6. #131
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    i can see roberts getting hurt 1/4 into the season and the yankees having to rely on a bunch of retreads at 2B, stirring up dissension amongst the fandom

    then, cashman will inevitably trade for cliff lee and chase utley from the sub-.500 phillies by the all-star break and then suddenly, all will be well in yankeeland
    Let's see - right now, the depth chart for 2B is Roberts, Johnson, Ryan and Nunez.

    Please show me the non-retreat in that list.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  7. #132
    NYYF Legend

    2JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Lexington Ky

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    I knew when Cano left that 2nd would be a wasteland, but Brian Roberts?? I will be shocked if he reaches the 50 game mark this upcoming season.

  8. #133

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    I think that this forum is full of "doubting Debbies". What a depressing bunch. Bet there will be plenty of coal to go around in all of the Christmas stockings this year...

  9. #134
    My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    I think that this forum is full of "doubting Debbies". What a depressing bunch. Bet there will be plenty of coal to go around in all of the Christmas stockings this year...
    For 2 Mil it's a low risk move. I think it's a great signing.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????


    Thank goodness we now know.

  10. #135

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Decent production for cheap =/= a good baseball player. He's Granderson without the parts tht made Granderson good. He's another hole in a lineup that doesn't need one.

    I was trying to be optimistic about his numbers, which I think could be lower but likely won't be higher. I just don't think he's a good player, and being cheap doesn't make him any better.
    I never said he was a good ballplayer, only that he was decent. I know his skill level is completely independent of his cost as well, but when you're looking at the various options, cost is a factor to consider.

    I can live with his "offense" but I cringe to think about him and Jeter on the left side of the infield.


  11. #136
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I never said he was a good ballplayer, only that he was decent. I know his skill level is completely independent of his cost as well, but when you're looking at the various options, cost is a factor to consider.

    I can live with his "offense" but I cringe to think about him and Jeter on the left side of the infield.
    I'm really concerned that Jeter won't be able to be an everyday SS anymore, and that we'll be seeing way too much of Reynolds/Johnson/Ryan at the bottom of the order.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  12. #137
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Canandaigua, NY

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    I think that this forum is full of "doubting Debbies". What a depressing bunch. Bet there will be plenty of coal to go around in all of the Christmas stockings this year...
    I agree. After reading all this negativity about Roberts it kind of reminds me of all the negativity surrounding signing Eric Chavez .. then after dissing him as an injury prone washed up, has-been a year later people were pissed that we didn't resign him!
    Yogi - Its tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

  13. #138
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    I agree. After reading all this negativity about Roberts it kind of reminds me of all the negativity surrounding signing Eric Chavez .. then after dissing him as an injury prone washed up, has-been a year later people were pissed that we didn't resign him!
    Two years later, actually. You might have forgotten the first year, when he spent 2-1/2 months on the DL.

    But you're right. People were saying the same thing about Travis Hafner a year ago, and see how that worked out?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  14. #139
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    I would almost be willing to bet that no one on this forum has ever seen Anna play so let's not go crazy here...
    Doesn't have to play. They're the same age, Anna has better mL numbers, and his skillset (drawing walks and making contact) is better. There's zero reason for Nunez to be on this team other than as a PR.

  15. #140

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    For 2 Mil it's a low risk move. I think it's a great signing.
    Ditto!

  16. #141

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Doesn't have to play. They're the same age, Anna has better mL numbers, and his skillset (drawing walks and making contact) is better. There's zero reason for Nunez to be on this team other than as a PR.
    Honestly, there's no good reason for him to be on the team. Ichiro is a better pinch runner, and with the current construction of the team, I can't see Gardner, Ellsbury,

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I'm really concerned that Jeter won't be able to be an everyday SS anymore, and that we'll be seeing way too much of Reynolds/Johnson/Ryan at the bottom of the order.
    This may seem pessimistic, but I think Jeter is going to have to hit pretty well to be a better option at SS than Ryan. I think his defense is going to be THAT unbearably bad.


  17. #142

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    The only way that Jeter's defense would be "that unbearably bad" is if he starts misplaying balls that he gets to. He hasn't had good range for years, but we have been able to do "muddle through". What gives you the feeling that his ability to field everything he gets to will be any worse than in years past? He is coming back from a broken ankle but has now had significant time for the break(s) to heal and build up strength in that leg and foot. I think he will be OK and expect his offense to be above average for the position. Assuming that aliens have not swooped down and swapped out his brain, initiative and penchant for hard work, I firmly believe that he can do it - until he shows us that he no longer can.

  18. #143
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    The only way that Jeter's defense would be "that unbearably bad" is if he starts misplaying balls that he gets to. He hasn't had good range for years, but we have been able to do "muddle through". What gives you the feeling that his ability to field everything he gets to will be any worse than in years past? He is coming back from a broken ankle but has now had significant time for the break(s) to heal and build up strength in that leg and foot. I think he will be OK and expect his offense to be above average for the position. Assuming that aliens have not swooped down and swapped out his brain, initiative and penchant for hard work, I firmly believe that he can do it - until he shows us that he no longer can.
    Agree with this analysis. And the same goes for Tex.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

  19. #144
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    The only way that Jeter's defense would be "that unbearably bad" is if he starts misplaying balls that he gets to. He hasn't had good range for years, but we have been able to do "muddle through". What gives you the feeling that his ability to field everything he gets to will be any worse than in years past? He is coming back from a broken ankle but has now had significant time for the break(s) to heal and build up strength in that leg and foot. I think he will be OK and expect his offense to be above average for the position. Assuming that aliens have not swooped down and swapped out his brain, initiative and penchant for hard work, I firmly believe that he can do it - until he shows us that he no longer can.
    I'm not so confident that his ankle will be able to handle playing in the field every day. Time might not help, because it may never be back to where it was. After all, he had time last year, too. That's part of the problem of aging - healing just doesn't work as completely anymore.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  20. #145

    Re: Yankees to sign Brian Roberts?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I'm not so confident that his ankle will be able to handle playing in the field every day. Time might not help, because it may never be back to where it was. After all, he had time last year, too. That's part of the problem of aging - healing just doesn't work as completely anymore.
    This is a valid point, but as was pointed out, last off season was spent waiting for the break to heal completely and Jeter was unable to spend the appropriate amount of time to build up the surrounding muscles and tendons. It is thought that this was the major reason for the additional leg problems encountered and that this off season would be used to address this. I guess we will see if this was correct or not. If DJ continues to have similar issues as endured in 2013, I agree that the handwriting will be on the wall.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts