+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Report: Yankees/Red Sox "pushing hard" to trade for Matt Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    They're be crazy if they do at this point since he's a major question mark and the price will be CC which even though he had a bad year last year, it leaves us with virtually no proven starting pitching.
    I would suggest that CC is much more of a question mark going forward than Kemp is. Kemp has been hampered by health issues but CC is just flat out in decline. Kemp played 155, 159, 162 and 161 games from 2008-2011. Yeah he's got shoulder and ankle issues right now and might not even be 100% for spring but the upside of Kemp could be really good.

Beltran was almost a total washout for Mets in 2009-10 and now he's a relative iron man at 36 and looking for three years? Kemp's 29 - he not washed up and s/one will be real glad they got him if the Dodgers end up trading.

The CC thing won't happen because no way the D's are interested in CC but if they can figure out a way to do it (taking all the salary will help) they should be all over it.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I wouldn't take Kemp in a straight up salary dump. He is toast.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    I would suggest that CC is much more of a question mark going forward than Kemp is. Kemp has been hampered by health issues but CC is just flat out in decline. Kemp played 155, 159, 162 and 161 games from 2008-2011. Yeah he's got shoulder and ankle issues right now and might not even be 100% for spring but the upside of Kemp could be really good.

Beltran was almost a total washout for Mets in 2009-10 and now he's a relative iron man at 36 and looking for three years? Kemp's 29 - he not washed up and s/one will be real glad they got him if the Dodgers end up trading.

The CC thing won't happen because no way the D's are interested in CC but if they can figure out a way to do it (taking all the salary will help) they should be all over it.
    What he did from 2008-2011 is irrelevant. "He's got shoulder and ankle issues right now" is a wild understatement. He had a torn labrum sewed up a year ago, and more surgery this year to clean up the arthritic a/c joint in the same shoulder. His ankle injury was to a major weight-bearing bone, and the surgery was serious. Those aren't just "issues" that will be cleared up soon.

And that's not even getting to his hammie, which keeps him out for weeks at a time.

Don't downplay Kemp's injury woes as they're serious which means his power and speed could be compromised going forward in his career.
    Is this the end of the Brian Cashman era?

NYYF Legend

I know Kemp has been hurt, but I think that this is a huge opportunity to buy low. Shoulder is good. Ankle injury really nagged, but not structural. Hamstrings are tough, but again, you recover.

I am not advocating going out and getting Kemp, but I could see huge bounce back opportunity here. If I was LAD, I would hang onto him, and I think that is what will happen.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I know Kemp has been hurt, but I think that this is a huge opportunity to buy low. Shoulder is good. Ankle injury really nagged, but not structural. Hamstrings are tough, but again, you recover.

I am not advocating going out and getting Kemp, but I could see huge bounce back opportunity here. If I was LAD, I would hang onto him, and I think that is what will happen.
    Buy low? 6/128 is not low.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

If they kick in money I'm interested, but I'd still want them to sign Beltran.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I'd hope the Yankees FO would be smart and not trade their only 200 IP/year pitcher on their roster for a broken OFer.
    A week ago you told me the LAD would hang up the phone if the Yanks offered Gary Sanchez for him. Now you're calling him a broken OF who is due to earn 6/128. SO, if he's a broken OF who is due to earn 6/128, why would the LAD hang up the phone if given the chance to trade his contract for a legitimate prospect?

You just listed three fairly serious injuries. Big risk,not worth it unless the Dodgers eat a substantial portion of the contract and take a lesser player in return (which won't happen).

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    A week ago you told me the LAD would hang up the phone if the Yanks offered Gary Sanchez for him. Now you're calling him a broken OF who is due to earn 6/128. SO, if he's a broken OF who is due to earn 6/128, why would the LAD hang up the phone if given the chance to trade his contract for a legitimate prospect?
    Because LA doesn't want prospects and Kemp has a high ceiling.

NYYF Legend

Because LA doesn't want prospects and Kemp has a high ceiling.
    So they wouldn't want a prospect for Kemp even if trading his contract allows them to go after Cano? I guess you have the inside info here.

"Shoulder is good?" In what sense?

Also, I think the ankle is significantly more serious than you make it out to be.

When Kemp was declared out for the playoffs, Dr. Neal ElAttrache said the injury was to a major weight-bearing bone, and a complete fracture could put Kemp's career in jeopardy...

The arthroscopic operation included the removal of several spurs and a loose body.

More importantly, it involved microfracture of the talus bone, a procedure of punching numerous holes in the bone to stimulate the formation of an overlying layer of fibrocartilage.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...nt_id=63214708

The resulting fibrocartiage "has significantly poorer mechanical properties in comparison to [original] cartilage," and the "ability of fibrocartilage to withstand physiological loading and fluid ingress, as well as provide a clinically acceptable duration of symptomatic relief remains unknown."

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/emergin...-lesions-talus

http://www.esska-afas.org/dublin2012...ons/Hannon.pdf
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I'm gonna pretend I understood that.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I'm gonna pretend I understood that.
    "Fluid ingress" is about blood supply. I'm pretty sure "physiological loading" is about things like running.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    "Fluid ingress" is about blood supply. I'm pretty sure "physiological loading" is about things like running.
    As
    I have to agree with those who bring up Kemp's health issues. 6 years is a long time if he can't be on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    So they wouldn't want a prospect for Kemp even if trading his contract allows them to go after Cano? I guess you have the inside info here.
    I think you said Gary Sanchez for Kemp+20-30m. I don't think LA takes that. I think they'd want something major league ready and a non-prospect.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

To be fair, from 2008 - 2012 (a year more recent than Kemp), Sabathia is 91-39 with a 3.11 ERA in 164 starts averaging just over 7 innings per start.

If you are going to dismiss the last two years of Kemp's history, dismiss last season for Sabathia as well.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

If we're talking about trading Gary Sanchez, I'd rather use him as a chip for a surer thing than matt kemp
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    If we're talking about trading Gary Sanchez, I'd rather use him as a chip for a surer thing than matt kemp
    Right, so you're on the complete opposite end of the "LAD would hang up" spectrum.

NYYF Legend

I think you said Gary Sanchez for Kemp+20-30m. I don't think LA takes that. I think they'd want something major league ready and a non-prospect.
    Very well then. My point was that the offer isn't as hang up worthy as you originally stated.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    CC was pretty bad last year too and there is reason to believe he won't rebound (velocity down trend, and he relied on overpowering fastball all of his career)

Even a straight up trade of CC for Kemp frees up just enough for us (assuming ~25 for Cano) to get Kuroda (18), Tanaka (10), and a middle rotation guy like Feldman(5-8), 8, give or take for our arbitration guys, then rest basically league minimum to get us pretty much right up against 189.

With some salary relief, we could even pick up some role/platoon players that otherwise would not fit under 189.

Probably not happening, but this would be a coup for the Yankees.
    Tanaka might be the real deal, but I'd be pretty uncomfortable starting 2014 (proven MLB) ace-less.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

At this point I think Kuroda qualifies as an ace more than CC.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    At this point I think Kuroda qualifies as an ace more than CC.
    Unless CC can bounce back (*fingers crossed*), I sadly agree.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Well Kemp smashed Rihanna and with Jeter likely retiring soon and A-Rod being A-Rod, we are going to need another woman-slaying bachelor playboy.

My very well thought out two cents after a three month absence.
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

But seriously, I'm not 100% on Kemp.

I'd rather keep CC.
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

Thread Information