+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Report: Yankees reach agreement with Brian McCann on 5-year deal

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Martin was cost-effective and affordable. McCann clearly won't be - huge difference.

This team would have been better served upgrading their catching situation with a much cheaper option, and spending big $$$ addressing the more pressing needs (i.e. Cano, 2 starting pitchers, and a power-hitting OF).

Now that they've signed McCann, I don't see how the Yankees address those remaining holes without blowing up the $189 million budget.

If they've decided to abandon the self-imposed $189 million cap, then what was the purpose to letting so much talent walk away last winter?
    the plan never seemed like it was set in stone and was always fluid, i.e. could change if necessary... maybe they gave it a shot in 2013 and realized how much of an abortion it was and are now changing course? is that really so out of the realm of possibility?

btw, they clearly haven't finished their winter shopping yet, but you're choosing to get angry at them already for blowing their load on mccann... why not wait until january, and if the team still looks the same as it does today, then you might have a reason to be pissed
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

If another team gave McCann $17 million a year, I'd be laughing at that GM....
    I question the accuracy of this statement.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I question the accuracy of this statement.
    11 days ago:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7804401
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    the plan never seemed like it was set in stone and was always fluid, i.e. could change if necessary... maybe they gave it a shot in 2013 and realized how much of an abortion it was and are now changing course? is that really so out of the realm of possibility?

btw, they clearly haven't finished their winter shopping yet, but you're choosing to get angry at them already for blowing their load on mccann... why not wait until january, and if the team still looks the same as it does today, then you might have a reason to be pissed
    Only way I won't be pissed at this point is if they re-sign Cano, fill the two rotation spots with quality pitchers, and sign a productive OF while staying below $189 million.

Otherwise:
    • They are essentially admitting they are clueless and pretty much threw away 2012 for no good reason by doing nothing last winter.
    • The McCann signing will have precluded them from addressing bigger holes that will allow them to contend in 2014.
    Last edited by Zimmers' Helmet; 11-24-13 at 07:32 AM. Reason: typo

5/80 on McCann isn't "hideous" by any means. Martin was affordable because he hits slightly better than the worst catchers in the game and that's not really a ringing endorsement.

I know he's a catcher, but 17 mil a year to a player with a 99 OPS+ the past two years? Not a fan...
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    I know he's a catcher, but 17 mil a year to a player with a 99 OPS+ the past two years? Not a fan...
    He had a pretty good year with the bag last season...and when you look at his career, the 2012 season looks a lot like Cano in 2008. Just one bad year that sticks out amongst a bunch of very good years.

Plus, how many guys of his age come to Yankee Stadium as talented offensive players and don't take advantage of it?
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Let's go deeper in your criticism. He played hurt in 2012 which required offseason surgery which is why his OPS+ was 87. In 2013, after starting late due to his rehab, he turned in an above average 115 OPS+ at the catcher position. He should be even better in 2014.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

Only way I won't be pissed at this point is if they re-sign Cano, fill the two rotation spots with quality pitchers, and sign a productive OF while staying below $189 million.

Otherwise:
    • They are essentially admitting they are clueless and pretty much threw away 2012 for no good reason by doing nothing last winter.
    • The McCann signing will have precluded them from addressing bigger holes that will allow them to content in 2013.
    I can't deny that they didn't execute last year's plan very well.

However, McCann's signing does fill a big hole, but I don't understand the rest of your comment about "content in 2013"???? Are you talking about contending in 2014?

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    5/80 on McCann isn't "hideous" by any means. Martin was affordable because he hits slightly better than the worst catchers in the game and that's not really a ringing endorsement.
    Agreed. The only comparison between McCann and Martin is they are both catchers. End of comparison. Many on this forum couldn't wait to run Martin (he was called the black hole in our lineup). Now he is Johnny Bench. McCann will be 35 when this deal is over. Maybe he will have to be moved by the last year, maybe not. But why some always assume the negative is beyond me.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Let's go deeper in your criticism. He played hurt in 2012 which required offseason surgery which is why his OPS+ was 87. In 2013, after starting late due to his rehab, he turned in an above average 115 OPS+ at the catcher position. He should be even better in 2014.
    I agree that 2012 was probably a blip, but his numbers last year were down from his peak as well. He's already caught over a thousand games in his career, I'm just worried he's already on the downswing of his career.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

NYYF Legend

I look for a few more signings. That should scare the hell out of Cano and his agents when they realize the Yankees don't have the money available to meet his absurd demands. Cano and his agents were hoping to make him a superstar figure but there are few places besides NY where that can be realized.
    I would love to see the Yanks make an offer of 5 years at $100-125 Million (I prefer the smaller number).

ARod was greedy, Cano is even more greedy

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

I agree that 2012 was probably a blip, but his numbers last year were down from his peak as well. He's already caught over a thousand games in his career, I'm just worried he's already on the downswing of his career.
    So you don't give any slack for his rehab year in 2013? Anyhow, most of these free agents can be on the downside of their careers.

If it wasn't for Martin's hot end of the season in 2012, fans would have been clamoring for dumping him. Even with that last 6 weeks, his average was abysmal. I think McCann will be terrific for us. Btw, for those $$$ worriers, remember that Mo and Andy are gone and likely ARod for at least the season. I think they will have funds available to sign Cano (somewhat reasonably) and still have monetary room for the other signings that are needed to bring us into contention in 2014. For me, the key is Tanaka... That is a must post/sign.

NYYF Cy Young

Der Worte sind genug gewechselt,
    lasst mich auch endlich Taten sehn!
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Ok. That is great.
    Life is good!

Now that the 1st round pick is gone, they may as well add Beltran too.

I can't deny that they didn't execute last year's plan very well.

However, McCann's signing does fill a big hole, but I don't understand the rest of your comment about "content in 2013"???? Are you talking about contending in 2014?
    Yes, it should have read "contend in 2014", and not "content in 2013". Typo at 2:30 am. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by dave8274 View Post
    I don't think they will stop here, in fact if they did, then I wouldn't agree with this signing. I think if we resign Cano will also determine if the Yanks are going to try to get under $189 million.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I don't think they will stop here, in fact if they did, then I wouldn't agree with this signing. I think if we resign Cano will also determine if the Yanks are going to try to get under $189 million.
    Same here. You reload, you don't try a half-ass effort that just gets you McCann and Cano without much pitching or outfield help.

NYYF Legend

Does he have to get a NTC? lol smh

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Does he have to get a NTC? lol smh
    Do you want the player or not? The no trade might be the reason he chose the Yanks over the Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by dave8274 View Post
    Might as well add Choo, if arod plays there would be no holes in this lineup.

Nope, when I see the team I root for being mismanaged I won't be happy.
    If you think there's nothing ridiculous about letting Martin walk over a 2 year/$17 million deal, only to sign McCann to $17 million annually for the next 5, then I can't force you to understand common sense.

Cano, starting pitching, and a power-hitting outfielder should have been the top priorities this winter. Blowing your load on a catcher that's missed an average of 44 games annually over the past 3 years makes no sense - especially in a market where much cheaper catching alternatives were available.

If Hal has decided that staying below $189 million no longer matters, then I could care less that they chose to spend their money on McCann, but if that's the case, what was the purpose to penny pinching last winter?
    Things change. Cashman was unable to make any moves last offseason until around February when he started making moves out of desperation thanks to upper management. I agree with you about Martin. But they tried to stick to a plan and it backfired. After a very disappointing season, mainly due to injury, it's up to them to sit back and assess what went wrong.

Catching position is definitely one of them and if you think that wasn't a priority, then you're mistaken. Catching may even have been #1. I think you're seriously undervaluing that position and it's importance to a major league team.

And again, I don't envision McCann catching all 5 years. It would be great if he does, but he reminds me of a lefty Napoli in a sense. One thing we shouldn't forget is he's a great hitter, better than Martin, and may even be better in Yankee Stadium.

Is he overpaid? Absolutely. But I bet other team were offering right around the same ballpark and we had to choice but to give this kind of a deal.

NYYF Legend

Do you want the player or not? The no trade might be the reason he chose the Yanks over the Rangers.
    The RS don't hand them out like candy, yet manage to still get players.

Thread Information