+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Triple Crown

How Come ESPN's Keith Law Has Hughes Ahead Of Nathan On His Free Agent List?

How come Keith Law thinks Phil Hughes is better than Joe Nathan? Nathan is one of the best closers ever. He's tied for tenth in career saves, and of the top eleven in career saves he ranks third in career ERA behind Rivera and Billy Wagner. Nathan's career ERA is better than Hughes's ERA in any season.

Re: How Come ESPN's Keith Law Has Hughes Ahead Of Nathan On His Free Agent List?

Well putting aside Nathan's age of 38 and Hughes' magic age of 27, it's probably because most people put starters ahead of relievers when we aren't talking about elite relievers. And Nathan is past elite status most likely, even after his 43 saves last year. If memory serves, wasn't he chronically hurt from 2009 -2012? Anyway, I also think many folks are convinced that outside of being a Yankee Hughes will be a commodity.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Re: How Come ESPN's Keith Law Has Hughes Ahead Of Nathan On His Free Agent List?

because he thinks he's better?
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

NYYF MVP

He values a 200 inning starter more then a 70 inning relief arm, even if that relief pitcher is elite like Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    He values a 200 inning starter more then a 70 inning relief arm, even if that relief pitcher is elite like Nathan.
    I agree with your basic point, but Hughes isn't a 200-inning starter.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I agree with your basic point, but Hughes isn't a 200-inning starter.
    I'd still try to resign him this winter as a starter. The economics of the game make it so hard in situations such as this to commit, but I still think Hughes career can be salvaged & he can flourish w/a couple of adjustments here & there.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

I think Hughes can turn it around, too, but if were a Yankee fan I might be nervous about his ability to do it in pinstripes. He very well could do it in the Bronx, but I think his chances are probably better somewhere with less pressure to win and weaker media presence; think KC or Seattle, something along those lines.

Overall I think the pressures facing players in Boston, New York, Philly, etc. are vastly overrated, but they do exist nonetheless and definitely effect certain guys.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I've been optimistic about Hughes for years. This past season exhausted my patience with him. Every time it seems he turns a corner, he regresses some more. I'm throwing in the towel on this guy. Maybe he'll still end up flourishing somewhere, but I have zero faith that it can ever happen with this organization.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I've been optimistic about Hughes for years. This past season exhausted my patience with him. Every time it seems he turns a corner, he regresses some more. I'm throwing in the towel on this guy. Maybe he'll still end up flourishing somewhere, but I have zero faith that it can ever happen with this organization.
    Yup. Aint gonna happen here. He simply cant aim low and fb is too flat. Fix that, u got urself an aj burnett part 2 the post yankees version.

All peripherals except hr rate is good for hughes. Plus does better on the road...so obvious whats wrong but dunno why it wont correct. Oh wells...better luck next time.

Quote Originally Posted by theM&Mboys View Post
    I'd still try to resign him this winter as a starter. The economics of the game make it so hard in situations such as this to commit, but I still think Hughes career can be salvaged & he can flourish w/a couple of adjustments here & there.
    These adjustments have been a long time coming.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Thread Information