+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Yankees, Jeter agree on 1-yr. deal worth $12M

The Yankees announced that have re-signed shortstop Derek Jeter to a one-year deal worth $12MM. Jeter, who is represented by Casey Close of Excel Sports Management, had a $9.5MM player option on his previous contract, but this deal will override that option.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...12mm-deal.html

Re: Yankees, Jeter agree on 1-yr. deal worth $12M

Why, in, the world, did we just give Jeter 2.5 million for no reason?

It's possible Jeter could get 12m on the open market if he opts out. But c'mon, we all know that was never going to happen.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Doesn't exactly give me confidence of the decision making process going forward.

This is beyond stupid. I don't care if he wanted more, we should have let him walk at that point. We need every dollar we can to spend on Cano and other FAs. This does not do anything to quell my belief that Cashman is a guy who overpays guys who are considered to be stars.

Maybe because it was a player option, and Yanks didn't want to deal with the possibility of Jeter rejecting?

Alright so add $12M to the books already for 2014. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Maybe because it was a player option, and Yanks didn't want to deal with the possibility of Jeter rejecting?
    Coming off the year he had I'd tell him to see what he can get. If someone offered him a bigger contract then offer him more. But the Yanks love to bid against themselves.

NYYF Cy Young

Mark Feinsand ‏@FeinsandNYDN 5m
    Yankees will save a couple mil in luxury tax by giving Jeter a new $12M deal. Had he triggered option, AAV of last deal would've been $14M+.
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 1m
    yanks giving jeter new $12M deal a signal they do intend to get under $189M. had he triggered old $9.5M option, aav is $14M

NYYF Legend

So the Yanks decided Jeter's worth was only $1M less than what Ortiz makes. That scares me.

Wait this now makes sense.

@JonHeymanCBS: yanks giving jeter new $12M deal a signal they do intend to get under $189M. had he triggered old $9.5M option, aav is $14M
    So it works to our advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Coming off the year he had I'd tell him to see what he can get. If someone offered him a bigger contract then offer him more. But the Yanks love to bid against themselves.
    Exactly... His last contract he got from us was above market value... It's not like we exactly "owed him one" here. The so called "embarrassment" from letting him walk isn't worth the extra 2.5 MM we could have used at a plethora of other positions. He'll, if he walked, that's another 9MM that could have been used elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Whether you agree or not, this was a smart move to save on AAV.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Cashman has focused on managing the books for 2014 (Wells, Soriano, etc.). They may not be good next year, but I don't think anyone should be questioning their obsessive focus on the luxury tax number.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

So basically, on the road to $189M, the Yankees actually have $2M more to play with. Even though the Yankees are paying him $2.5M more than what his original contract called for. Is that right?
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Turns out I got upset over nothing, sorry folks.

Would've been nice if he was a real leader, declined the option, then taken what he's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by machphantom View Post
    Turns out I got upset over nothing, sorry folks.
    Also, even if the Yankees blow past the 189M limit for 2014, they save about 3.6M in AAV and luxury taxes. It's a smart signing whether it's under or above the 189M limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Would've been nice if he was a real leader, declined the option, then taken what he's worth.
    A real stupid business man too with that move. Just because the Red Sox players are naive that doesn't mean he has to be.

NYYF Legend

Looks like the $189M is in motion for sure.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    A real stupid business man too with that move. Just because the Red Sox players are naive that doesn't mean he has to be.
    He's supposed to be the captain and leader of the team. What kind of a leader pretty much says "Give me a raise because I'm Derek Jeter."? That's literally the only reason he got more money.

Still, could have offered him $10 million instead of $12 million for the new deal.

I do get the idea but it feels weird that he's going to be a $12 million shortstop next year.

He's supposed to be the captain and leader of the team. What kind of a leader pretty much says "Give me a raise because I'm Derek Jeter."? That's literally the only reason he got more money.
    This has nothing to do with being the captain and leader of the team as it only affects monies the Steinbrenner family can keep in their pockets. Get real!

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

He made $17 million last year, and had a player option, so he's not really asking for a raise.

More importantly, it lowers the Yankees luxury tax payroll, so who cares?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Whether you agree or not, this was a smart move to save on AAV.
    When I posted this the AAV savings wasn't known. Obviously with this known it makes sense.

Jeter has been the face of the franchise for a long time and generates an astounding amount of revenue for the organization. He gets an extra $2.5 million, which the Yankees will recoup in no time, and the team gains an extra $2 million in payroll flexibility due to a technicality. Everyone wins.

Thread Information