+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Why Donnie, why?

If you were Mattingly would you want to stay as manager of the Dodgers after the way they treated him or move on to another club like Seattle or Detroit? What do you the rest of you think?

Re: Why Donnie, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    If you were Mattingly would you want to stay as manager of the Dodgers after the way they treated him or move on to another club like Seattle or Detroit? What do you the rest of you think?
    He has another year on his deal, no?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

He signed a contract. He has done nothing to warrant a new long term deal, and if he quits he will not likely get another job. I would stay too.

I say Washington.
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

He'd be wise to stay in L.A. since they're going to give him a better chance of winning a championship than any other team currently hunting for a manager.

A world championship is the one glaring gap on his resume, and one I'm sure is what motivates him to manage.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Question also is do the Dodgers want him back? I think if hey really did they will extend him.

NYYF Legend

I just heard that Mattingly plans to honor his contract and stay with the Dodgers. Hopefully, he gets the extension that he is looking for on his contract or else he 'll be fired when they have their first losing streak.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Did Donnie ever have any coaching experience of any type? I remember with Willie Randolph, he'd been the 3B coach for many years with the Yankees.

Donnie should've tried managing a minor league team before getting such a hi-profile job. The only reason that he got this was that he'd been Joe Torre's bench coach, and I'd heard that Torre was grooming him for that position after the Yanks hired Joe Girardi instead of him.

As others have said, I don't see a 1st-time manager quitting on a hi-profile team like LAD, then expecting to get another baseball job again (whether in the dugout or the studio). He's going to just have to deal with whatever comes his way during the last year of his contract, then humbly shake their hand on the way out.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Did Donnie ever have any coaching experience of any type? I remember with Willie Randolph, he'd been the 3B coach for many years with the Yankees.
    Sure he did. Remember he was the Yankees' hitting coach for several seasons and then became Torre's bench coach? That's how he ended up going to LA with Torre.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Sure he did. Remember he was the Yankees' hitting coach for several seasons and then became Torre's bench coach? That's how he ended up going to LA with Torre.
    Oh yeah, that's right. I've still heard that the best way to prepare for being an MLB manager is to manage in the Minors. Yet whenever KC and all these other teams fire their manager, they will get names of players who are well-known, but have little managing or coaching experience.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Oh yeah, that's right. I've still heard that the best way to prepare for being an MLB manager is to manage in the Minors. Yet whenever KC and all these other teams fire their manager, they will get names of players who are well-known, but have little managing or coaching experience.
    I would tend to agree with you on the part of your quote that I bolded, but then I look at the Cardinals for example and see that it hasn't seemed to bother Mike Matheny at all. I guess it depends on the individual but I don't see where Mattingly deserves the treatment he's getting out in L.A. The Dodgers ended up being one of the last four teams standing. That's pretty good in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I would tend to agree with you on the part of your quote that I bolded, but then I look at the Cardinals for example and see that it hasn't seemed to bother Mike Matheny at all. I guess it depends on the individual but I don't see where Mattingly deserves the treatment he's getting out in L.A. The Dodgers ended up being one of the last four teams standing. That's pretty good in my book.
    Its because if u watch the games, he makes the dumbest errors ever in the history of dumb errors. I live in LA, trust me donnie's not the best as a manager *currently*. Not to say he wont get better in the future but currently some of his moves r headscratchers. However, he did make some moves that i thot were good such as benching star players and pitching kershaw on short rest in the playoffs. But yea, guy totally lost two critical games in the playoffs and IMO u just cant have that if u wanna go all the way (unless u have a stud team which the dodgers really arent yet).

Not sayng la wouldnt have lost to stl nor that it was 100% his fault (dodgers got near blanked quite a few times by stl) but fact remains he did lose a few critical games. I mean who takes out their star player when he's getting on base at a 500 clip ??!!

NYYF Legend

Did you know the second person pronoun in English actually has three letters? Unlike in some other languages, you use it in both singular and plural. Unless you're from the South, in which case you usually use a two-word version in the plural.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Did you know the second person pronoun in English actually has three letters? Unlike in some other languages, you use it in both singular and plural. Unless you're from the South, in which case you usually use a two-word version in the plural.
    I'm not sure if I think of "y'all" as two words.

It also comes in a more inclusive version, "alla y'all." I hear that at work, when a kid wants to disparage the entire program and its staff, whether they are present or not: "F**k alla y'all."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I'm not sure if I think of "y'all" as two words.

It also comes in a more inclusive version, "alla y'all." I hear that at work, when a kid wants to disparage the entire program and its staff, whether they are present or not: "F**k alla y'all."
    Haha! Sometimes I miss those days.

NYYF Legend

Someone on another board where I post does spell the second person plural pronoun "yall" (no apostrophe). I kind of like that.

I love donnie as much as any yankee in the history of the franchise and I think he will grow into a terrific manager especially suited for big market teams but I don't think he will have his choice of jobs if he abscond from LA this season. Best move would be to stay and earn the respect of the FO

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    He signed a contract. He has done nothing to warrant a new long term deal, and if he quits he will not likely get another job. I would stay too.
    Riggleman walked out on the Nationals. He's still looking for work. Quitters don't fare so well in the job market.

NYYF Legend

I'm a huge Mattikngly fan, but he hasn't exactly developed the reputation of being able to push the right buttons during the game...especially close and late. This was magnified on the national stage and now most everyone has seen what concerns the LA fans. He may be a good guy and liked by most players, but he still has a ways to go.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    I'm a huge Mattikngly fan, but he hasn't exactly developed the reputation of being able to push the right buttons during the game...especially close and late. This was magnified on the national stage and now most everyone has seen what concerns the LA fans. He may be a good guy and liked by most players, but he still has a ways to go.
    Well - this is true with any manager.
    If the team fails in certain situations, the manager looks like he's pushed the wrong buttons.
    But if the team wins, then he looks like a genius.
    Let's take Torre for example - 1996, he seemed to push all the right buttons because every move he made worked out. But he was a bad manager before 1996, right?
    It all hangs on whether or not the team wins.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Well - this is true with any manager.
    If the team fails in certain situations, the manager looks like he's pushed the wrong buttons.
    But if the team wins, then he looks like a genius.
    Let's take Torre for example - 1996, he seemed to push all the right buttons because every move he made worked out. But he was a bad manager before 1996, right?
    It all hangs on whether or not the team wins.
    True. A great team can make a bad manager look good, and an average manager look great. The reverse is also true.

However, leaving a player in a game their first day back from an ankle injury when the score is 9-2 in your favor is questionable at best. Even if that player is Matt Kemp.

Pulling Gonzalez for Dee Gordon, in a tie game, then not even attempting to steal or a hit and run in the playoffs also raises a few eyebrows.

Granted, the manager knows their players best and we don't know all the behind the scenes conversations going on. But, when Mattingly stated he hoped "the club" had a plan to deal with Puig and his "issues", it raises a flag that maybe Mattingly isn't quite ready for such a bright spotlight.

From: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

Mattingly said he's hopeful the club puts in place a plan "to help [Puig] understand the importance of all the small things" that he hasn't learned because he was rushed to the Major Leagues with less than one year of Minor League seasoning.

"The small things you don't see on ESPN," said Mattingly, who had to live with overaggressive baserunning and thoughtless throws from the outfield along with Puig's dynamic bat.
    Those are just examples off the top of my head. Again, I want Mattingly to succeed because I'm a fan.....and I'm married into a Dodger family.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

I dont think it looks too good on donnie to complain about lameduck status...dodgers front office prolly wouldnt care too much if donnie quit. That means they dont gotta pay him. He made a lot of mistakes this year and thats hard to overlook.

Oh and the whole 42-8 thing? Thats really not attributed to donnie here in la, but more to returns from injuries + puig

NYYF Legend

I am sure Donnie has received valuable advice from his mentor, Joe Torre, and that he'll stay and fulfill his contract.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I am sure Donnie has received valuable advice from his mentor, Joe Torre, and that he'll stay and fulfill his contract.

Andy
    I hope Mattingly finds a better mentor soon.

Mattingly just wants some sort of vote of confidence , and he's clearly not getting that from the Dodgers. Do the Dodgers want to have a lameduck manager? And if they don't like him or the job he's doing, why would they even bring him back for next year? It's a very bizarre situation. And I don't blame Mattingly for starting to go into attack mode on the issue, after he's been on the defensive against them and the media for the better part of two years now. It's been the worst kept secret in LA that the Dodgers wanted to replace him, and the rumor is that they've fed a lot of it to the media to build popular support against him. And then they go and make a move like firing his bench coach right after they pick up the option? Is that how an org that just won 90+ games and a playoff series should treat their manager?

If Mattingly ends up quitting, I don't think he'll have trouble finding work. This isn't like Jim Riggleman quitting on his team, a ................ty team at the time no less, in the middle of the season. He literally just quit after a game one night.

Thread Information