+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 28 29 30 31
    My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Re: WORLD SERIES: Cardinals vs Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    ummm say what?

Ronan Tynan is one of the Irish Tenors. Boston is the most Irish city in America. Why would they not embrace him?

I haven't heard that the Irish embrace anti-semites.
    Complaining is a choice

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I haven't heard that the Irish embrace anti-semites.
    The Irish even elected a Jew, Robert Briscoe, as Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1956. On being told of this, an approving Yogi Berra said, "Only in America!"

...not really germane, but I love Yogi stories.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    ummm say what?

Ronan Tynan is one of the Irish Tenors. Boston is the most Irish city in America. Why would they not embrace him?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/17/sp...pins.html?_r=0

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    The Irish even elected a Jew, Robert Briscoe, as Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1956. On being told of this, an approving Yogi Berra said, "Only in America!"

...not really germane, but I love Yogi stories.
    I laughed if no one else did.

Jim and Pam are movie geniuses mBiferi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    There's a long road from being relevant to having the best record in the AL, beating Tampa, Detroit and then St. Louis. Is the trade the reason the Sox won the WS? Is the trade the reason the Dodgers had their best postseason since 1988? If yes, sounds like a good trade for both teams. This myth that the Dodgers were taken, don't know how that started. Especially since money is no object with them. Watch their offseason.
    Oh, the Dodgers were taken. Adrian Gonzalez is an .800 OPS first baseman now, Beckett is pretty much cooked while Crawford put up a 730 OPS and doesn't even steal 20 bases anymore.

The reasons the Dodgers almost made it to the World Series were Kershaw, Greinke and Puig... Not this trade. I know money is not an issue but this trade was horrible from the Dodger's end.
    Cuz I am... the Rain King!

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Ah..OK, now John makes sense....

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mBiferi View Post
    Oh, the Dodgers were taken. Adrian Gonzalez is an .800 OPS first baseman now, Beckett is pretty much cooked while Crawford put up a 730 OPS and doesn't even steal 20 bases anymore.

The reasons the Dodgers almost made it to the World Series were Kershaw, Greinke and Puig... Not this trade. I know money is not an issue but this trade was horrible from the Dodger's end.
    I think most baseball fans of a particular team always hesitate to do an end zone dance about a particular trade, or even a free agent signing, because things can turn around fast. But at this point over one year later, I would have to agree that there seems no way that this trade can ever turn out to remotely not being in the Red Sox favor. The Red Sox cleared $250 million of payroll, while getting rid of underperforming players and they still have two legitimate prospects at AAA who potentially can be contributing major leaguers. Meanwhile, all of the players who replaced the departed players at less cost outperformed them. If this doesn't meet the definition of a great trade, nothing does.

The Yankees have been one most skillful teams in baseball making trades. Look at the championships in the 70's and off the top of my head, Mickey Rivers, Chris Chambliss, Willie Randolph, Craig Nettles, Dick Tidrow, and Sparky Lyle all came in trades. Forward to the 90's, and the Yankees made spectacular trades...Paul O'Neill for Roberto Kelly (wow!), Tino Martinez and Jeff Nelson in the same trade...David Cone...Scott Brosius...Chuck Knoblauch...John Wetteland...Roger Clemens...and others.

Looking around the league, Miguel Cabrera going to Detroit may be one of the greatest trades ever. Max Scherzer as well.

To be fair, the Red Sox have made some not so great trades in recent years as well. These players are playing elsewhere in the majors, and the return the Red Sox got for them varies: Hanley Ramirez, Jed Lowrie, Josh Reddick, Anthony Rizzo, Brandon Moss, Anibal Sanchez, Justin Masterson, Nick Hagadone, and others.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I wish Ronan was still singing at Yankee Stadium. I love when he sang God Bless America. Oh well, he's now embraced by the city and fans of Boston and the Red Sox so he good for him.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I wish Ronan was still singing at Yankee Stadium. I love when he sang God Bless America. Oh well, he's now embraced by the city and fans of Boston and the Red Sox so he good for him.

I think the Yankees did the right thing by sending him packing. He disrespected people and deserves to pay the price. It's not cool that the Red Sox have taken him in.

Another reason to dislike that brand.
    Complaining is a choice

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I think the Yankees did the right thing by sending him packing. He disrespected people and deserves to pay the price. It's not cool that the Red Sox have taken him in.

Another reason to dislike that brand.
    I had never heard about his comment about Jewish people. Disturbing.
    "I usually try to plan my bowel movements before I shower."
    -- fredgmuggs

Thread Information