+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Re: WORLD SERIES: Cardinals vs Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Samuelson View Post
    Mob mentality...it's the same everywhere.
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    That is fantastic lol
    There's something wrong when I can't get the image of Lackey out of my mind. MAKE IT STOP!!!
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    That's an interesting perspective. I think the drama/story of 2004 can't compare to this year, so it's hard to compare them. Also, aren't baseball (and sports in general) down in general because of the fragmentation of media?
    It's impossible to compare anything on TV today apples-to-apples to 2004. TV ratings are down across the board. On a positive note, the playoff ratings were up 20% over last year. And in the Boston TV market, the game got a 55.2 rating, and 86% of TV's that were on in the market at the time of the final out were tuned to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post

aeromac, the Red Sox have cut players and eaten their whole salaries before. They released Julio Lugo, who was making $9 million per year when he had 1.5 years left on his contract. But ARod is in a league all by himself, in my opinion. He comes with a media spotlight which I think is a distraction. He is the one player in the majors that is under the biggest microscope. I know if he was on the Red Sox, I would absolutely hate it, and he's at war with the front office, suing the team and MLB and that's never going to go away. He's going to be 39, coming off some kind of a suspension. But I do get the distinction. He's making huge money and he may have something left. I just think sometimes your whole organization is better off if you move on.
    I don't disagree that sometimes it is best to move on, and I could not blame the Yankees for doing so. I also agree with the sentiment that you would hate this on the Sox, because I DO hate it happening to my team.

I'm with you all the way on all that.

I just take issue with equating the Yankees releasing Arod and eating all the money to what happened with the Sox's contracts (Beckett. Agon, CC) last year. The Dodgers flipped the Sox the biggest bone I have ever seen, it did not take courage or moxie for the Sox to pull the trigger on that deal. It took a heartbeat and an IQ above 0, those were the only prerequsites. Even Cherington admitted that he got a bit lucky with that deal, and if he said he got a bit lucky publicly, then he probably went home and danced naked for 12 hours in private when the deal went down.

Releasing a guy owed 28 million bucks for multiple years is vastly different. I agree it would take guts and moxie, but to credit the Sox for exercising that set of skills in their deal with the Dodgers is not even close to true..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I don't disagree that sometimes it is best to move on, and I could not blame the Yankees for doing so. I also agree with the sentiment that you would hate this on the Sox, because I DO hate it happening to my team.

I'm with you all the way on all that.

I just take issue with equating the Yankees releasing Arod and eating all the money to what happened with the Sox's contracts (Beckett. Agon, CC) last year. The Dodgers flipped the Sox the biggest bone I have ever seen, it did not take courage or moxie for the Sox to pull the trigger on that deal. It took a heartbeat and an IQ above 0, those were the only prerequsites. Even Cherington admitted that he got a bit lucky with that deal, and if he said he got a bit lucky publicly, then he probably went home and danced naked for 12 hours in private when the deal went down.

Releasing a guy owed 28 million bucks for multiple years is vastly different. I agree it would take guts and moxie, but to credit the Sox for exercising that set of skills in their deal with the Dodgers is not even close to true..
    I agree with this 100%. The trade to move AGon, Beckett, and CC was a good move but it wasn't like Cherrington masterminded that trade. It seems like that trade fell into their lap and the Dodgers gave the Sox a get out of jail free card. I guess Cherrington gets credit for finding a team stupid enough to accept all those contracts but the move itself was a no brainer. To this day I can't believe the Dodgers were willing to take on those contracts. It was the right move that I think almost any gm in that situation would have done. Red Sox barely ate any money in that trade, shedding ARod's contract or getting rid of it will most definitely not be as easy, if even possible. ARod's contract and the Dodger/Sox trade really aren't even comparable, completely different situations.

NYYF Legend

According to the story of the trade, the Dodgers were after Adrian Gonzalez all year. They were awash in cash, eager to spend it, and Gonzalez was a southern California native who they felt could become one of the faces of their franchise. The Dodgers wanted to win right then. When they added taking Beckett as part of the deal, Cherington started to listen closer. When they threw on Crawford, that was what made the deal. That signing was a DISASTER for Boston. Crawford looked nothing like the player they thought they were getting, and he had a permanent scowl on his face. Then when the real negotiating began, the Red Sox got Colletti to add legitimate prospects to the deal as well. A lot of evaluators still believe that Webster and Rubby De La Rosa are going to be good major league pitchers.

So yes, it did fall into Cherington's lap. He got the proverbial Etch-a-Sketch from Colletti. But you still have to swallow organization ego and go to the fans and say that we made mistakes here...a lot of them...and it's going to take some time to right the ship. That's what I was referring to by courage...probably a poor choice of a word.

Some folks have been saying that Cherington was just lucky and there was no skill involved, but to his credit, he didn't jump at the initial offers...he didn't even make this trade until after the trade deadline, so it was a waiver deal. He was able to pry the prospects out of L.A. and they ate almost all of the contracts....$250 million worth. And then he did use the flexibility to sign a great cast of players without giving anyone more than a 2 year deal except Victorino got 3.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

According to the story of the trade, the Dodgers were after Adrian Gonzalez all year. They were awash in cash, eager to spend it, and Gonzalez was a southern California native who they felt could become one of the faces of their franchise. The Dodgers wanted to win right then. When they added taking Beckett as part of the deal, Cherington started to listen closer. When they threw on Crawford, that was what made the deal. That signing was a DISASTER for Boston. Crawford looked nothing like the player they thought they were getting, and he had a permanent scowl on his face. Then when the real negotiating began, the Red Sox got Colletti to add legitimate prospects to the deal as well. A lot of evaluators still believe that Webster and Rubby De La Rosa are going to be good major league pitchers.

So yes, it did fall into Cherington's lap. He got the proverbial Etch-a-Sketch from Colletti. But you still have to swallow organization ego and go to the fans and say that we made mistakes here...a lot of them...and it's going to take some time to right the ship. That's what I was referring to by courage...probably a poor choice of a word.

Some folks have been saying that Cherington was just lucky and there was no skill involved, but to his credit, he didn't jump at the initial offers...he didn't even make this trade until after the trade deadline, so it was a waiver deal. He was able to pry the prospects out of L.A. and they ate almost all of the contracts....$250 million worth. And then he did use the flexibility to sign a great cast of players without giving anyone more than a 2 year deal except Victorino got 3.
    If give Cherington credit for what he did after the trade. But not for the trade. That would be like giving Cashman credit if someone called him and said "I want A-Rod and I will take on his contract and give you two top prospects as well"
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

If you give Cherington no credit for the trade, you assume that he simply accepted whatever the Dodgers offered, and that's not true. There was lots of negotiations about this over the course of the entire season, and he kept getting Colletti to add more to the deal, take almost all of the money, etc. If Webster and/or De La Rosa ever become decent major leaguers, this trade will look even better than it is today.

To be fair, there are some who say it worked out well for both teams.

Not that I've been following it closely (or at all) but hasn't the World Series ended?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

If you give Cherington no credit for the trade, you assume that he simply accepted whatever the Dodgers offered, and that's not true. There was lots of negotiations about this over the course of the entire season, and he kept getting Colletti to add more to the deal, take almost all of the money, etc. If Webster and/or De La Rosa ever become decent major leaguers, this trade will look even better than it is today.

To be fair, there are some who say it worked out well for both teams.
    Sure as Coletti kept offering more, Cherington sat back and waited for the final offer. Taking on mostly garbage and an overpaid first baseman for two top prospects is hardly a hard decision to make.
    Life is good!

I think what he's saying is that ben was able to sense the total masochistic stupidity in colleti's voice and then was able to bend colleti over backwards and promptly give it to ned via a new blue waffle aka a torn anal raping.

Keep in mind most ppl would have said immediately OK to just the contracts. That they got two top prospects in the deal speaks to ben's negotiating ability.

Soon as i saw the trade, i literally shouted NOOOOOOOOO outloud because it made the sox relevant again. Just like when victorino was "unable to play" due to extreme suckage and they subbed in gomes, i knew it would be better for the sox...(i posted that here btw).

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Not that I've been following it closely (or at all) but hasn't the World Series ended?
    Ugly.....but entertaining........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF MVP

A bittersweet moment during the parade took place near the Boston Marathon finish line on Boylston Street where three spectators died and more than 200 were injured in the bombings during the April race.

There, Jonny Gomes and Jarrod Saltalamacchia, along with the staff of Marathon Sports, placed the World Series trophy on the finish line.

The trophy was draped in a ’617 Boston Strong’ Red Sox jersey. Singer Ronan Tynan performed God Bless America, as a crowd of thousands sang along.

I see fields of green, Veeck's pinwheel lights
    Cubs lose by day, Sox win at night
    And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    I think what he's saying is that ben was able to sense the total masochistic stupidity in colleti's voice and then was able to bend colleti over backwards and promptly give it to ned via a new blue waffle aka a torn anal raping.

Keep in mind most ppl would have said immediately OK to just the contracts. That they got two top prospects in the deal speaks to ben's negotiating ability.

Soon as i saw the trade, i literally shouted NOOOOOOOOO outloud because it made the sox relevant again. Just like when victorino was "unable to play" due to extreme suckage and they subbed in gomes, i knew it would be better for the sox...(i posted that here btw).
    There's a long road from being relevant to having the best record in the AL, beating Tampa, Detroit and then St. Louis. Is the trade the reason the Sox won the WS? Is the trade the reason the Dodgers had their best postseason since 1988? If yes, sounds like a good trade for both teams. This myth that the Dodgers were taken, don't know how that started. Especially since money is no object with them. Watch their offseason.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chisox View Post

A bittersweet moment during the parade took place near the Boston Marathon finish line on Boylston Street where three spectators died and more than 200 were injured in the bombings during the April race.

There, Jonny Gomes and Jarrod Saltalamacchia, along with the staff of Marathon Sports, placed the World Series trophy on the finish line.

The trophy was draped in a ’617 Boston Strong’ Red Sox jersey. Singer Ronan Tynan performed God Bless America, as a crowd of thousands sang along.
    Is it odd that the Boston Community would embrace Ronan Tynan?
    Complaining is a choice

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    In a city that is as Irish as Boston? No...even if he sang at many Yankees post-season games, no...

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    In a city that is as Irish as Boston? No...even if he sang at many Yankees post-season games, no...
    Still...
    Complaining is a choice

Even lackey and Lester had grown a beard, wow.

NYYF Legend

I think it's on a par with the New York City Community embracing Suzyn Waldman.

I always thought that Tynan did a great job with God Bless America at Yankee Stadium. But he sang that long version, and the Seventh Inning Stretch always seemed to last forever, and I was convinced that it was a big strategic advantage for the Yankees because the pitcher was waiting so long to get back on the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    There's a long road from being relevant to having the best record in the AL, beating Tampa, Detroit and then St. Louis. Is the trade the reason the Sox won the WS? Is the trade the reason the Dodgers had their best postseason since 1988? If yes, sounds like a good trade for both teams. This myth that the Dodgers were taken, don't know how that started. Especially since money is no object with them. Watch their offseason.
    The trade was lopsided in favor of the sox when it DIDNT have to be. How hard is this to understand?

Say you want to buy a 30k car at the dealership that the dealer cannot sell to ANYONE. Would u go that dealership, offer 40k AND give him ur valuable paid off used car for free? Hell no!!!

So yes, dealership got 40k for a car they couldnt sell and u got the car u wanted. Can u say both sides made out in this deal? Jeez louise this is not a hard concept. Its called an idiotic overpay.

Not. A. Hard. Concept. To. Understand.

I swear.....

Still...
    still...there is no city in America more Irish than Boston...

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    still...there is no city in America more Irish than Boston...
    Are you saying that the Irish are anti-semitic?
    Complaining is a choice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle View Post
    Even lackey and Lester had grown a beard, wow.
    One beard for the two of them? Do they take turns?

One beard to rule them all.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Are you saying that the Irish are anti-semitic?
    ummm say what?

Ronan Tynan is one of the Irish Tenors. Boston is the most Irish city in America. Why would they not embrace him?

Thread Information