+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chad Curtis sentenced to 7-15 years in prison

http://deadspin.com/chad-curtis-gets...een-1440735952

Didn't even know he had gotten into trouble with the law
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

Re: Chad Curtis sentenced to 7-15 years in prison

Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post
    http://deadspin.com/chad-curtis-gets...een-1440735952

Didn't even know he had gotten into trouble with the law
    He'll still be out before Mel Hall.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

sad, just sad...
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    sad, just sad...
    For who? Curtis or the victims? I feel sad for the victims but for him? I just hope it's closer to 15 than 7.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Anyone care to remember what the deal was with him and Jeter, where he called Jeter out for being friendly with Arod, I believe

Quote Originally Posted by pacersyankees View Post
    Anyone care to remember what the deal was with him and Jeter, where he called Jeter out for being friendly with Arod, I believe
    Here you go:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...to-derek-jeter

Coincidental that the fight Jeter and Alex were ignoring involved Girardi...

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OCaptainMyCaptain View Post
    Here you go:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...to-derek-jeter

Coincidental that the fight Jeter and Alex were ignoring involved Girardi...
    I wonder if Harold Friend still feels the same way about Chad Curtis.
    Complaining is a choice

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I wonder if Harold Friend still feels the same way about Chad Curtis.
    Who knows what really happened. It does seem quite out of character for a deeply religious person to do the things Curtis is accused of doing. It doesn't mean he did not break the law- my guess would be the real truth lies somewhere in between. Its very unfortunate any way you look at it- Curtis did not ever appear to be a guy that you could see something like this happen to.

Who knows what really happened. It does seem quite out of character for a deeply religious person to do the things Curtis is accused of doing. It doesn't mean he did not break the law- my guess would be the real truth lies somewhere in between. Its very unfortunate any way you look at it- Curtis did not ever appear to be a guy that you could see something like this happen to.
    If you think that deeply religious people don't do things like Curtis did, I don't think you've been paying much attention over the last couple of decades. (I wouldn't dream of suggesting that all, or most, or even many deeply religious people do such things. Just that it happens, and it's not such a big surprise.)
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

It's difficult to believe his attorney let him keep talking

For his part, Curtis talked for an hour and accused all the victims of lying during the week-long trial in August, during which Curtis was found guilty of six counts of criminal sexual conduct.
    snip
    He said the girls will have to come to terms with their wrong-doing.

“The truth will set her free,” he said of one of his victims.

“I think this whole thing is an unfortunate situation where the whole truth has not been told, Curtis said. “I believe her (the victim) and I could write a book someday and it would have a positive impact on a whole lot of people.”

Barry County Prosecutor Julie Nakfoor Pratt said Curtis’ statement showed an utter lack of remorse and showed that he needed to be put in prison.

“That was the most selfish, self-serving, victim-blaming statement I’ve heard in my career as a prosecutor,” Pratt said. “It speaks volumes about his character, or lack thereof.”

After hearing Curtis’ statement, McDowell sentenced him at the very top of the state sentencing guidelines. The judge said the only thing that kept her from exceeding the guideline with a higher minimum sentence was she was worried that it could be the basis for an appeal.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...speech_in.html

A whole lot of people use their religious faith as a means of simply covering up their behavior. Just because somebody says they are religious and lectures those around him (as Curtis was said to do), doesn't mean they aren't crooks/abusers/rapists, whatever.

Speaking for myself, if somebody is constantly talking about religion around me, and what a good Christian (or Muslim or whatever) he or she is, I'm immediately at least somewhat suspicious of his/her motives.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If you think that deeply religious people don't do things like Curtis did, I don't think you've been paying much attention over the last couple of decades. (I wouldn't dream of suggesting that all, or most, or even many deeply religious people do such things. Just that it happens, and it's not such a big surprise.)
    I would guess that you could count on one hand how many deeply religious former pro athletes have gotten themselves in a predicament like this- so to claim "it's not such a big surprise" would not appear to be an accurate characterization

Probably the earliest he can appear at an Old timer's day is 2021.

"This member of the incredible 1998 world champion team was just released from prison....let's have a warm welcome....."
    Let the kids play.

I would guess that you could count on one hand how many deeply religious former pro athletes have gotten themselves in a predicament like this- so to claim "it's not such a big surprise" would not appear to be an accurate characterization
    Well the number of pro athletes, religious or not, or people in general for that matter, who have gotten themselves in a predicament like this is a pretty small portion of the population. I don't think being deeply religious has anything to do with it.

Personally, I'm less surprised, on a proportional basis, when a deeply religious person is found to have done something horrible. it's sort of the same dynamic when I'm not surprised when we find out some homophobe who bashes gay people is actually a closet case.

Not to say that all or most deeply religious people do bad things, but often times those that preach and talk about how they found Christ or Allah or a big ball of cheese in the sky that they pray to, are completely nuts and possibly dangerous.

and some I think are into extreme religion to try to surpress their urges to kill, maim, steal to begin with.

And, again, i'm not calling most religious people dangerous, I'm saying I think there's a higher level of dysfunction and problems within those groups of born again or whatever thing they are than there is in the general population.

Does anyone remember a guy named Luis Polonia? Had 3 stints with the NYY- 89-90, 95 & 2000. If you would have bet me that he had a CAREER BA (12 years) of .293, I would have bet every cent I had you were wrong. I would have lost. Anyhow- on the subject of underage sex, I remember a NYY road trip where Luis apparently got after it with a 15 year old:

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/08/17/sp...t-inquiry.html

I certainly dont condone sex with a minor, nor am I trying to make light of either the Polonia or Curtis situations- but this incident produced quite possibly the greatest headline in NY Daily News history:

"YANKEE PANKY"

If I remember- Polonia had to do 45 days in the can and that was it. A far cry from the 7-15 years Curtis got thrown at him

NYYF Legend

Consensual sex with someone misrpresenting their age is not exactly the same as taking advantage of someone you are in a position of authority over.

Still 7-15 seems a bit high for a little bit of fondling unless there is more to the story that came out at trial.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Consensual sex with someone misrpresenting their age is not exactly the same as taking advantage of someone you are in a position of authority over.

Still 7-15 seems a bit high for a little bit of fondling unless there is more to the story that came out at trial.
    Excellent point

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

Well, it's at least three different cases of sexual assault of a minor. And it's pretty clear that Curtis got the book thrown at him for being such a prick.
    - Barry Manilow

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Well, it's at least three different cases of sexual assault of a minor. And it's pretty clear that Curtis got the book thrown at him for being such a prick.
    Agreed - and victim blaming during the trial isn't likely to exude confidence that you've taken accountability for your actions, can recognize that they are wrong, and can assure society you won't simply do them again.

Too bad he could not have been sentenced to 7-15 years with the Judge. I dont normally find female judges attractive, but this was a definite exception!!!

JUDGE.jpg

Does anyone remember a guy named Luis Polonia? Had 3 stints with the NYY- 89-90, 95 & 2000. If you would have bet me that he had a CAREER BA (12 years) of .293, I would have bet every cent I had you were wrong. I would have lost. Anyhow- on the subject of underage sex, I remember a NYY road trip where Luis apparently got after it with a 15 year old:

I certainly dont condone sex with a minor, nor am I trying to make light of either the Polonia or Curtis situations- but this incident produced quite possibly the greatest headline in NY Daily News history:

"YANKEE PANKY"

If I remember- Polonia had to do 45 days in the can and that was it. A far cry from the 7-15 years Curtis got thrown at him
    I don't know how the law reads, but from a moralistic standpoint, I find the two cases to be completely different.

The girl Polonia hooked up with was hanging around the hotel lobby and many at the time said she looked to be of age easily. Several players, it was rumored, had been with her before, all assuming she was of age.

The law says that's not an excuse...it's on you to make sure whoever you're with is of legal age, but I know when I see some of the girls at the local high school walk by, it's hard to believe they are probably under 18.

Curtis, on the other hand, was with girls he knew were minors and he was an authority figure over them. Whole different set of encyclopedias than a girl posing as a groupie in a team's hotel, in my view.

Interesting how the Polonia case ever got into the hands of the legal system- why would a girl posing as a groupie have consensual sex with a player and then report to police she was underage? Even if someone else reported it- the only two witnesses to the alleged event would have zero incentive to testify it actually occurred

Interesting how the Polonia case ever got into the hands of the legal system- why would a girl posing as a groupie have consensual sex with a player and then report to police she was underage? Even if someone else reported it- the only two witnesses to the alleged event would have zero incentive to testify it actually occurred
    The girl and friends went to County Stadium for Tuesday night's Yankees-Brewers game. There was evidence she was at the stadium as early as batting practice. After the game, she came to the team bus and arranged to meet with Polonia. After Polonia took the team bus back to the hotel at 10:50 P.M., the girl met him there and went to Polonia's room.

Capt. Craig Hasting of the Milwaukee Police Department's Vice Control Division said that the girl's mother contacted the police after being informed by friends of the girl that she had arranged to meet Polonia.

''The police investigated the missing person's report and gained entry into the room,'' Hasting said. He said that Polonia opened the door after the police knocked and that the girl ''made the allegation at that time that a sexual assault had occurred.''
    - Barry Manilow

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Hopefully, Chad bought himself a 15 year supply of soap-on-a-rope...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Thread Information