+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Official Watching the Scoreboard Thread - 2013 MLB Postseason

If "on accident" is a regionalism, I'd like to know what region, because I never heard it ... I grew up in the Midwest (Michigan) and now live in New York.

I suspect it's just being confused with "on purpose."

NYYF Legend

I grew up in central NJ and eastern PA and used the phrase "on accident" as a kid. Somewhere along the line I stopped.

I hate the idea of rooting for Tampa.

From the AL, Oakland is really the only team I could tolerate winning. On the NL side, it would be Pittsburgh or LA.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Someone explain to me why Delmon Young becomes some sort of demi-god in October.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Someone explain to me why Delmon Young becomes some sort of demi-god in October.
    Funny isn't it? You have guys like Young and guys like Swisher. Then there's guys you feel like you can count on season-round.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    he's been hot since the Rays called him up. amazingly, he has started taking his walks.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    If "on accident" is a regionalism, I'd like to know what region, because I never heard it ... I grew up in the Midwest (Michigan) and now live in New York.

I suspect it's just being confused with "on purpose."
    forgot to post the link and can't be arsed to look it up again, but...:

Dr. Leslie Barratt, a professor of linguistics at Indiana State University, has done research into the use of “on accident” versus “by accident,” and she was kind enough to send us a copy of her study, published in 2006.
    As she told Pat in an email, “What I found was an age gradation – that as age increased from elementary school children to adults, the likelihood of ‘on’ increased. Since this study was run a while ago (most data collected 1997-1998), you can add about 12 years to the ages.”
    Dr. Barratt surveyed people in different parts of the country, ranging widely in age and coming from a variety of economic, social, and ethnic backgrounds. But no factors apart from age made any difference in their responses.
    Her findings: “For both male and female respondents, ‘on’ is more prevalent under age 10, both ‘on’ and ‘by’ are common between the ages of 10 and 35, and ‘by’ is overwhelmingly preferred by those over 35.”
    [....]
    When did this start? “When ‘on accident’ first appeared is not answered in the present study,” she says, “but there are several indications that the form is at least 25 years old (i.e. dates back to at least the late 1970s).” And why did it start? Some commentators have suggested that “on accident” is a conflation of the expressions “by accident” and “on purpose.” This sounds plausible, but there’s a catch.
    As Dr. Barratt writes, “In many cases, younger speakers were even unaware of the existence of ‘by accident.’ ”
    Another theory we’ve come across is that “on accident” is a mishearing of “an accident,” as in: “I didn’t do it on purpose! It was an accident!” Well, it’s an idea, but we may never know for sure.
    “The reasons for particular language changes are rarely one dimensional, and this is no exception,” Dr. Barratt writes. “Although it happened right before our eyes, it seems to have merely happened ‘on accident.’ ”
    like delv, but better

NYYF Legend

^ That's fascinating. And it makes me feel old. Well, older than 10, anyway.

Thread Information