+ Reply to Thread
Page 130 of 168 FirstFirst ... 30 80 120 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 140 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 4198
    Richmond Virginians

Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Is Huff still on the 40-man? Much rather see him get the boot than Marshall. Same with Nunez and Wells.
    Huff is still on the 40.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I said CC OR Pineda needs to pitch like a No.1/2. The point is that the Yankees need at least a No.2 to be considered having a good rotation. Tanaka offers that upside. Garza and Santana didn't. If they couldn't get one this year, don't overpay for something they don't really need. Save the resource for the real one.
    It's sad when we have to count on a big unknown like Pineda to hold our rotation together.

We already have a #2 and his name is Kuroda. If Pineda pitches next season, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    It's sad when we have to count on a big unknown like Pineda to hold our rotation together.

We already have a #2 and his name is Kuroda. If Pineda pitches next season, I will be pleasantly surprised.
    Used properly Kuroda is a #1. Let's hope CC can be a #1 again.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    CC's performance next season will be the key factor in determining Yankees' success. Joe needs to monitor Kuroda's IPs closely. With these two healthy, our rotation is not as bad as people fear.

CC's performance next season will be the key factor in determining Yankees' success. Joe needs to monitor Kuroda's IPs closely. With these two healthy, our rotation is not as bad as people fear.
    Agree.

And Nova is no slouch.

Imagine if we add Tanaka. Who fills the 5th spot almost becomes "who cares?".
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    How? I am assuming you are thinking reducing his innings. However, you can't have a 170 IP #1.

Ace pitchers are excellent pitchers who take the ball every 5th day, it is what makes them aces.

CC's value when he was going good was that he would dominate and eat 230+ innings.

If Kuroda is to be seriously valuable, he needs to throw 200 innings.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    How? I am assuming you are thinking reducing his innings. However, you can't have a 170 IP #1.

Ace pitchers are excellent pitchers who take the ball every 5th day, it is what makes them aces.

CC's value when he was going good was that he would dominate and eat 230+ innings.

Good points.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post

We've already seen the result of too many innings for Kuroda last season. At his age, it is only going to get worse next season. Therefore, don't pitch him deep into the game. Spread out that 170 IPs wisely across the 162 games.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

It's unfortunate, but not sad (at least not in the context I'm thinking you're using). The Yankees used the best chip they had in a while and traded their best positional prospect to obtain him prior to last season. They acquired a guy that had projected (and shown evidence that he could be) front-of-the-rotation material. He got hurt. It happens.

So while his ability to pitch (let alone at prior levels) is in question, he was acquired to address part of the problem you're referring to. Just didn't work out - yet.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    The starting pitching isn't just a question mark, it's a HUGE question mark. Even if they sign another quality starter, nobody really knows how well the others will do. CC may have a rebound year or he may struggle even more than he did this year. Nova may be outstanding or lose himself again. Warren and Phelps may mature into dependable starters or flop like bass in the bottom of a boat. Kuroda...who knows about him too. Like most other seasons and many other teams, you'll be crossing your fingers right through the month of May hoping that the staff all comes together. There's really not much the front office can do other than do enough to give us some hope.
    Can't the same be said about every pitching staff ever assembled?

Did you expect CC to have the 2013 season he had after the track record of 2009-2012?

Just sayin' we could trade for David Price only to have him wither in front of us.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by MTYankee23 View Post
    It's interesting, because we take CC, Nova, Kuroda, Phelps, Nuno/Warren into the season we 100% don't have enough pitching based on what we saw last year? I'm not sure I buy that.
    Thank you - finally, someone who sees the same thing I do.

Pineda is still to be seen, but there is no reason to believe that he will be a pile of dung.

Phelps - as a starter last season - had 12 starts. Ten were good to very good - his starting stats are greatly hurt by his two bad starts (5/29 against the Mets, 0.1 IP, 4 ER & 6/29 against the Orioles, 2.1 IP & 9 ER). Take out those two starts and he was 5 & 2, with a 3.29 ERA and a 51/20 K/BB ratio.

Nuno showed possibilities in his brief stint in the majors as well last season.

I just don't feel that moving on pitchers like Garza is necessarily that much better than the in-house alternatives that are available.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Who's Scherzer's agent?
    Boras.
    Life is good!

NYYF Triple Crown

If Tanaka is not an option, I wonder if the Yankees would consider offering/signing A.J.Burnett for one year @ $15M?

He'd probably chip in those 200 innings the club needs.

As much as I disliked his inconsistency a couple of years ago, perhaps he's learned something about himself these past two years with Pittsburgh. Perhaps he's learned how to thrive without a power fastball. Perhaps he's learned more about command.

Would you rather have Burnett, or Johan Santana with a ML contract (I think it will take a ML contract to sign him) and let's say $5M with a bunch of incentives?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    If Tanaka is not an option, I wonder if the Yankees would consider offering/signing A.J.Burnett for one year @ $15M?

As much as I disliked his inconsistency a couple of years ago, perhaps he's learned something about himself these past two years with Pittsburgh. Perhaps he's learned how to thrive without a power fastball. Perhaps he's learned more about command.

Would you rather have Burnett, or Johan Santana with a ML contract (I think it will take a ML contract to sign him) and let's say $5M with a bunch of incentives?
    If it comes down to guys like this, I'd honestly rather go with what they have, see who steps up, and save a little payroll for trade options before the ASB.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

After they were so frustrated with Burnett that they paid a big chunk of his contract for someone to take him away from them, I'm pretty confident the FO isn't bringing him back
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Santana easily. Hell, they should have signed Santana last week.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Can't the same be said about every pitching staff ever assembled?

Did you expect CC to have the 2013 season he had after the track record of 2009-2012?

Just sayin' we could trade for David Price only to have him wither in front of us.
    I don't think so. You can never tell what kinds of injuries are going to happen, or if a solid pitcher will get off to a bad start, but in 2014 this team has no iron clad starters that can be depended upon to deliver a high percentage of quality starts. In most of the recent dynasty years they had at least one or two starters to begin the season that the rest of the staff could be built around. Who know though, it may work out.
    Let the kids play.

Santana without question. Don't think AJ would be interested in an NYC reunion and I doubt seriously if the Yanks would have any interest... Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Boras.
    Scherzer is going to get paid very well...not sure by who though.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Scherzer is going to get paid very well...not sure by who though.
    And if he repeats his 2013 numbers or even close, I think north of Verlander's contract.
    Life is good!

Yes, I'm not even counting on him to be in the rotation. I'm always concerned whenever a pitcher has a shoulder injury- will he still have a fastball in the mid 90's?

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Yes, I'm not even counting on him to be in the rotation. I'm always concerned whenever a pitcher has a shoulder injury- will he still have a fastball in the mid 90's?
    I think we already know at least the preliminary answer to this... Yes, Pineda has been clocked at that speed, but not consistently. Where he winds up "sitting" is yet to be determined.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    Santana without question. Don't think AJ would be interested in an NYC reunion and I doubt seriously if the Yanks would have any interest... Been there, done that.
    Assuming Tanaka is not posted, I'd like to see them sign Paul Maholm, then get Crain and Eric O'Flaherty for the pen. Maholm could either be the 3rd or 4th starter, while Crain, and O'Flaherty once he is ready give the Yanks nice balance in the pen for the later innings.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    And if he repeats his 2013 numbers or even close, I think north of Verlander's contract.
    If Scherzer gets more than 7/180, Boras should be automatically elected in the HoF on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    If Scherzer gets more than 7/180, Boras should be automatically elected in the HoF on the spot.
    The way money is flowing and who is negotiating, nothing will surprise me. I don't see him getting more than 7 years but the dollars very possible.
    Life is good!

Thread Information