+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 168 FirstFirst ... 13 53 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 73 113 163 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 4198
    NYYF MVP

Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Actually Cashman is a very good negotiator (Damon would definitely agree). The problem is that sometime he doesn't have any say in the negotiation (A-Rod would definitely agree).
    What deals would you consider "very good" that Cashman has made? How many times has he signed someone below market?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...ks-not-waiting

Cano AND Beltran. Given that Tanaka and Kuroda are also on their shopping list. Wonder how the $189M cap works out.
    Again, if the Yankees are intended to go past 189M, then it would be best to their negotiating strategy not to announce it until their intention is obvious to all. Otherwise, free agents would ask for more in their contract offers.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    I blame the org and the "win now" mentality mostly. Hughes got jerked around. He had the potential to be a lot better than he was the last few seasons. Maybe he didn't have the mental makeup to pitch in the NY pressure cooker, I don't know, but I saw enough good stuff out of him to say that the Yankees can share the blame.

I think Hughes could have been a lights out Ace relief pitcher, but he hasn't developed enough pitches to be a great starter. I wish the Yankees had recognized that earlier. In retrospect, the way he pitches, it seems obvious. Throws too many pitches, up in the zone and hittable or foulable (not a word), gets into 2-3 counts.....not what you want from a starter. But as a reliever who threw 60-80 innings a year he'd have more gas. We saw it the year he was in relief.

Joba is another case. The Yankees screwed up with him something fierce the way they couldn't decide if he should start or relieve and the damn "Joba rules". Man. I'm rooting for Joba to get back on track and live up to his potential, hopefully on a team we don't see often
    Seems like once he was promoted, the organizational attitude was that he had nothing left to prove in the minors. Except for a couple of rehab stints, they never believed in sending him back to work on his repertoire. Personally, I always felt it would have helped.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    What deals would you consider "very good" that Cashman has made? How many times has he signed someone below market?
    Kuroda?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Again, if the Yankees are intended to go past 189M, then it would be best to their negotiating strategy not to announce it until their intention is obvious to all. Otherwise, free agents would ask for more in their contract offers.
    Make sense. If they somehow get McCann, Cano, Beltran, Tanaka and re-sign Kuroda in one off-season. That would be 2009 all over again and I would be a very happy man.

NYYF MVP

Kuroda?
    Meh. He only wanted 1 year deals. That's not really Cashman's doings.

Make sense. If they somehow get McCann, Cano, Beltran, Tanaka and re-sign Kuroda in one off-season. That would be 2009 all over again and I would be a very happy man.
    Don't agree with that at all. Tanaka isn't CC Sabathia, McCann isn't Teixeira...tho Swisher isn't Beltran.

NYYF Legend

Meh. He only wanted 1 year deals. That's not really Cashman's doings.
    He could get a higher offer by just wanting a 1 year deal.

Btw what's your definition of below market deal?

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    Don't agree with that at all. Tanaka isn't CC Sabathia, McCann isn't Teixeira...tho Swisher isn't Beltran.
    We would still have Sabathia and Texeira though.

1. Derek Jeter, SS
    2. Johnny Damon, LF
    3. Mark Teixeira, 1B
    4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
    5. Jorge Posada, C
    6. Hideki Matsui, LF
    7. Robinson Cano, 2B
    8. Nick Swisher, RF
    9. Melky Cabrera, CF

vs

Gardner
    Jeter
    Beltran
    Cano
    Tex
    Soriano
    McCann
    A Rod (Or some other 3B maybe infante)
    Chavez (Whoever DH's)

The lineups may be debatable but the rotation isn't

Sabathia
    Burnett
    Pettitte
    Hughes
    Chamberlain

Sabathia
    Kuroda
    Nova
    Tanaka
    Pineda

I like what the lineup and rotation could become this year much better than 09.

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    We would still have Sabathia and Texeira though.

1. Derek Jeter, SS
    2. Johnny Damon, LF
    3. Mark Teixeira, 1B
    4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
    5. Jorge Posada, C
    6. Hideki Matsui, LF
    7. Robinson Cano, 2B
    8. Nick Swisher, RF
    9. Melky Cabrera, CF

vs

Gardner
    Jeter
    Beltran
    Cano
    Tex
    Soriano
    McCann
    A Rod (Or some other 3B maybe infante)
    Chavez (Whoever DH's)

The lineups may be debatable but the rotation isn't

Sabathia
    Burnett
    Pettitte
    Hughes
    Chamberlain

Sabathia
    Kuroda
    Nova
    Tanaka
    Pineda

I like what the lineup and rotation could become this year much better than 09.
    hey, I'd like the '14 roster outcome you're proposing here, but to say they'd be better than '09 roster is a giant stretch. Unless of course Sabbathia, Tex and Jeter return to '09 form, but unlikely all three - if any - are able to do so. Even then... And not to mention A-Rod or Matsui's '09 production.

I think that CC and Tex getting back to quasi-career norms is as big as any FA acqusitions they might be able to line up (non-Cano division). Also, regardless of thoughts on whether closers are overrated or not, Mo was a stabilizing force in that pen for almost two decades. Girardi's pen management will be a bigger variable this year.

Pineda is a huge wildcard this season. If he can also get back on the rails and stay healthy, that would be enormous.

NYYF Legend

Are you a troll? Or do you simply hate Cashman. As far as I am concerned He has done a great job. And don't ask me to justify my position until you fully justify yours. I am sick and tired of the anti Cashman sentiments on this board. I really don't think they know a lot about the business of baseball. Get an education. Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Cashman has been the GM for 16 years and made the playoffs for 14 of them, made the World Series for five of them and has three rings. What exactly is it that he is supposed to do for us to think that he's delivering for the franchise over a long period of time?

We can grade him on a curve, I understand, given the huge amount of resources he's working with over most of the teams in baseball, but I don't know how to say he hasn't been at least very effective in delivering contending teams.

The playoff failures of recent years...small sample size is probably part of it (though I'm not convinced it's all of it), but I don't know how a GM can really construct a roster/farm system for five days in October against the Indians or Tigers in mind.

If the idea is that we really don't know how effective Cashman would be if everybody had the same resources, then I get that...but I don't know why we would grade him on how many below market deals he's been able to do. I don't get why that matters...what to me matters is how often can he get the team into the postseason given the budget he's provided by ownership...

Bleeds Yankee Blue

Do we have anything that could possibly land us Troy Tulowitzki ? That could be a long term SS solution while allowing us to let Cano walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    Do we have anything that could possibly land us Troy Tulowitzki ? That could be a long term SS solution while allowing us to let Cano walk.
    The Rockies have stated that Tulowitzki is not available for trade.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 14m The Pirates are on the verge of acquiring catcher Chris Stewart from the Yankees.

No matter how little they get, nice job to get anything for a player everyone knew you were going to non-tender.

NYYF Legend

The pirates' love of Yankee players comtinues
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    Not now that Cashman is trading Chris Stewart to the Pirates!

Cash or PTBNL
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

I am so happy right now!

Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York reports that the Yankees have made an offer to Hiroki Kuroda.
    Marchand guesses that it's a one-year deal in the $15-16 million range. Kuorda made $15 million in 2013 while posting a 3.31 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 150/43 K/BB ratio across 201 1/3 innings. He was said to be considering a return to Japan or even retirement, but that tune seems to have changed in the past couple of weeks.

Kinda wish we held onto Stewart.

Kazmir is headed to Oakland for 2 years, $22 mill. Too bad. I thought he would have been a solid guy to replace/improve upon Hughes.

I wonder what it would take to get the perpetually injured Brett Anderson, now? He's good when he actually pitches and if the cost isn't too high, he'd at least lower the number of starts the Yankees need from the Phelps/Warren/Nuno types.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Kazmir is headed to Oakland for 2 years, $22 mill. Too bad. I thought he would have been a solid guy to replace/improve upon Hughes.

I wonder what it would take to get the perpetually injured Brett Anderson, now? He's good when he actually pitches and if the cost isn't too high, he'd at least lower the number of starts the Yankees need from the Phelps/Warren/Nuno types.
    I agree -- I was hoping they were going to make an offer to Kazmir. He pitched well for Cleveland down the stretch last year. Doesn't hurt that he's lefty either.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Personally, I wouldn't mind the Yankees kicking the tires on Bronson Arroyo.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Anthony McCarron
    The Yankees will non-tender Jayson Nix, Matt
    Daley and David Adams, Brian Cashman said.

Not unexpected....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Thread Information