+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2 42 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 62 102 152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 4198

Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    Does this mean Beltran is the favorite to sign now for right. Cause I would still much rather have Choo.
    I think its doubtful the Yankees land either. It sounds like Beltran is already receiving 3 year offers and the Yankees would only go 2 (very smart on their part).

As for Choo signing him would likely either close the door on Cano or 189M. The same could potentially be true of Beltran. I definitely don't think the Yankees are ready to do either of those things. I think 189M is in the plans unless ARod weasels his way out of suspension.

Although who knows perhaps the Yankees skimp on pitching and go offense heavy.

...you're off to great places Norge's Avatar

Just read this tidbit of speculation on ESPN.com:
    • Cameron: Kemp for Sabathia makes sense

O_o ...meaning what in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post
    Just read this tidbit of speculation on ESPN.com:[/LIST]

The Yankees are going to have trouble enough filling out a rotation with CC.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    You and your comments are completely laughable.
    What a train wreck - get well soon.
    Glad you addressed your grotesque misuse of WAR.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    I can def see McCann replacing Nick Swisher as the guy who we'd all have a problem with if he wasn't on our team.
    Definitely applies to me.

Not a fan of the policing other teams HR/baseball rules, but I can't say I don't wish we had an asshole on our team that shows some fire/talks ish/shows passion/etc.....
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Kemp for Sabathia would be great, just sign garza and tanaka to help the rotation.

Gardner
    Jeter
    Kemp
    Cano
    Tex
    Soriano
    McCann
    Arod
    DH

Tanaka
    Garza
    Nova
    Pineda
    Nuno

I would do that deal in a second

http://nypost.com/2013/11/24/yanks-l...-for-tomorrow/
    The Yankees also have moved from gloomy early in the offseason to more upbeat that Hiroki Kuroda will return for another year.

NYYF Triple Crown

I have a question:

Is this upcoming season the Yankees' only chance to get under $189M and reset the luxury tax percentage, or can they do this any year starting in 2014?

Of course the reason why I ask is because I think the McCann signing is a tip-off: since there's so much uncertainty about re-signing Cano, the A-Rod situation, and the need for two top-of-the-rotation starters coupled with Hal's statement promising "to compete for a championship", my thinking is the organization has ditched the idea of trying to get under $189M, especially if they can do it in 2015 or any time in the future.

My guess is they assume A-Rod's suspension will stand, re-sign Cano, go all out for Tanaka and Garza, re-sign Chavez and Reynolds to platoon at 3B, get a RH OFer to platoon with Suzuki in RF (Mike Morse>Vernon Wells?), and sign a potential closer/setup man along with some low-cost/high-reward relievers to complete the bullpen, and SCREW the $189M budget for 2014. I think they can get all of this done for $50M-$60M:

Gardner CF
    Jeter SS
    Cano 2B
    Teixeira 1B
    Soriano LF
    McCann C
    Morse DH
    Chavez/Reynolds 3B
    Suzuki RF

* I can deal with Ichiro playing most of the time in RF if he's a #9 hitter
    * Plenty of flexibility for the DH slot between Morse, Chavez, Reynolds, Suzuki, Jeter
    * Nice mixture of power from both sides of the plate

Bench: Ryan, Romaine, Almonte

Sabathia
    Tanaka
    Garza
    Nova
    Pineda/Phelps/Nuno/Warren

Robertson
    Balfour/Benoit/Mujica
    Betances
    Clairborne
    Kelly
    Phelps/Nuno/Warren (pick 2)
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    Kemp for Sabathia would be great, just sign garza and tanaka to help the rotation.

Gardner
    Jeter
    Kemp
    Cano
    Tex
    Soriano
    McCann
    Arod
    DH

Tanaka
    Garza
    Nova
    Pineda
    Nuno

I would do that deal in a second
    I agree totally. I'd do that deal in a second. I'd look into trading for Olt from the Rangers too for 3B. Sign Balfour to close. Try and resign Cano as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    I agree totally. I'd do that deal in a second. I'd look into trading for Olt from the Rangers too for 3B. Sign Balfour to close. Try and resign Cano as well.
    Olt was traded to the Cubs in the Garza deal.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Olt was traded to the Cubs in the Garza deal.
    And was awful in the minors last year.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I have a question:

Is this upcoming season the Yankees' only chance to get under $189M and reset the luxury tax percentage, or can they do this any year starting in 2014?
    It all hinges on the ARod suspension IMO. If he is suspended for a significant period of time (ideally the whole season) the Yankees have to take advantage of a golden opportunity. I mean clearing ~33M (includes upcoming HR bonus) from the payroll is a huge opportunity that they won't have in the years to come.

Resetting the luxury tax number this offseason will free up tons of spending freedom in the years to come.

As a fan I'd have no problem with them going all-in this year as you suggest, but if ARod is in fact suspended that would be a very foolish and short sighted business decision. The team can definitely field a competitive team this year that is under the luxury tax assuming that they are relieved of ARod's salary. With ARod's salary though forget about it. I think the Yankees are doing the smart thing in preparing for both of those scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    And was awful in the minors last year.
    Yea, he's got upside, but he's not ready to play everyday for a team that is trying to compete.

NYYF Legend

My next move: trade Gary Sanchez to the LAD for Kemp and $20-$30M

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    LAD hangs up. Try again.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post
    Just read this tidbit of speculation on ESPN.com:
    [/LIST]

Huh, very interesting. I think CC will bounce back, but I wouldn't hesitate to make that deal. Then the Yankees could go out and sign three of the following: Kuroda, Tanaka, Kazmir, Ubaldo, Garza.

In general I think a trade with the Dodgers for an OF makes a lot of sense. Kemp would be ideal, but I wouldn't be opposed to dealing for Ethier. The guy is built for Yankee stadium and we could probably offload Ichiro in the deal and perhaps get the Dodgers to pick up some salary both of which would really help the luxury tax situation. It would also give the Yankees the flexibility to find a good right handed platoon bat like Jeff Baker.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    LAD hangs up. Try again.
    Try again? What a strange response to a post where I suggested what my next move would be.

NYYF Legend

And btw, LAD has 4 OFs for 3 slots. They must trade one of their big money guys. I don't think they hang up at all.

And btw, LAD has 4 OFs for 3 slots. They must trade one of their big money guys. I don't think they hang up at all.
    They would want more than Sanchez.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Not to sound greedy (I know) but if we're doing them favors by taking back a breaking down Kemp, I'd either need money and/or some AAAA prospects coming back.

Edit: Again, just getting greedy/taking advantage of the situation.

NYYF Legend

Kemp hasn't been the same since he juiced in 2011 and his body is now deteriorating fast as a result of it... If we're gonna pay big money for an OFer, I'd rather re-sign granderson or get Cruz instead of giving up prospects and cash
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Yea, but what do they want with a Catcher that is two years away? LAD is in pure win now mode. They're looking for something that will help them now. There seems to be enough interest in Kemp that they can get salary relief AND at least one cost controlled player that can help them immediately (and probably more).

If they don't get that they should just trade Crawford or Either for salary relief. Kemp is still in his late 20's and has elite level talent. They have no reason to give him away for less than what I described above.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Kemp hasn't been the same since he juiced in 2011 and his body is now deteriorating fast as a result of it... If we're gonna pay big money for an OFer, I'd rather re-sign granderson or get Cruz instead of giving up prospects and cash
    Wait what are you basing the Kemp steroid allegations on? It wouldn't shock me, but I've personally heard nothing linking him to ped's.

However I don't know how you can go and suggest signing Cruz instead who was just suspended for PED's. Stay away from the presumed offender and pursue the known one?

Kemp is both significantly younger and significantly better than both Cruz and Granderson. Also don't forget that signing Granderson means sacrificing the pick the team will get when he signs elsewhere in addition to the money spent.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Kemp is still in his late 20's and has elite level talent. They have no reason to give him away for less than what I described above.
    I see no reason to think that Kemp will ever again be the player he used to be.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF HOF

If we cannot resign Cano I heard the Angels are trying to trade Howie Kendrick. They want to dump salary and are 8 mill away from the luxury tax cap.

Thread Information