Page 33 of 168 FirstFirst ... 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 43 83 133 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

Garza is prob plan B to tanaka
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

We need more than one starter......but I hear you.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    We need more than one starter......but I hear you.
    I can see them bringing back Kuroda for a year as an appealing option to ownership.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    Sad to see granderson go but there are better options than him out there that can fit better into this lineup, and now we get a sandwich pick.
    Who were you thinking of?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I think that's what we all expected... no?
    Yeah. We all expected this, except the FO who had to think about it and worry if he didnt reject it. In other news, the earth rotates around the sun, but i think the FO needs to think about that as well...

#sarcasm

Sad to see granderson go but there are better options than him out there that can fit better into this lineup, and now we get a sandwich pick. As for Kuroda, I don't want to take the risk of him breaking down when we need him the most. Tanaka can take his place and as long as we get someone better than Hughes (that shouldn't be too hard to do) the rotation will look good. If we can get tanaka, Pineda works out, and get a relatively young back end starter our rotation will look a lot younger and better than this year. The offense too
    Translation:
    If we get better players, everyone pitches better, hits better, and stays healthy, we will be in contention

^_^

#sarcasm

Please stop with the hashtags

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Who were you thinking of?
    I can see them signing choo or Ellsbury instead, Beltran is already 37 and wants a 3/4 year contract.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Granderson + 1st round draft pick > Beltran

Of course they had no interest in Beltran when he wanted to come here in his prime - now that he's 36 with shot knees, Cashman is drooling at the possibility. Unreal.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

I can see them signing choo or Ellsbury instead, Beltran is already 37 and wants a 3/4 year contract.
    Choo (and his OBP) are exactly what the Yankees need, which is why they'll end up with Beltran instead.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

So they'd get a sandwich pick for Granderson but give up their regular first-round pick - #18 - for signing Choo or Ellsbury.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    So they'd get a sandwich pick for Granderson but give up their regular first-round pick - #18 - for signing Choo or Ellsbury.
    Yeah...

Sad to see granderson go but there are better options than him out there that can fit better into this lineup, and now we get a sandwich pick. As for Kuroda, I don't want to take the risk of him breaking down when we need him the most. Tanaka can take his place and as long as we get someone better than Hughes (that shouldn't be too hard to do) the rotation will look good. If we can get tanaka, Pineda works out, and get a relatively young back end starter our rotation will look a lot younger and better than this year. The offense too
    Who are the better options you're talking about? Do they require draft pick compensation to sign? Personally I'd rather they give up the opportunity cost of a sandwich pick and keep Granderson (assuming reasonable short term deal) then give up their first rounder (highest they've had in ages and hopefully for a long time) unless it's a massive upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Who are the better options you're talking about? Do they require draft pick compensation to sign? Personally I'd rather they give up the opportunity cost of a sandwich pick and keep Granderson (assuming reasonable short term deal) then give up their first rounder (highest they've had in ages and hopefully for a long time) unless it's a massive upgrade.
    If you're going to give up your first for anyone in this FA class I'd do it for McCann. A 29 year old (turns 30 in Feb) top 5 catcher won't hit the market in a LONG time. Its almost the equivalent to signing a 30 year old Posada (not quite the bat, but much better defense). Also the difference between the #18 pick and a sandwich pick while on the surface seems fairly significant it may have relatively no impact on the quality of player they get with the pick. I mean its not like its a top 5 pick where you know you're getting an elite level talent. Plus you're also assuming that the Yankees will take the right guy at #18 which given their recent history is not a bet I'd be willing to take.

That said the Yankees have so many needs this offseason and their minor league system is so bad that I wouldn't mind them spreading the wealth around on some guys that could bounce back this year and provide could value for the $ and possibly even net the team a compensation pick in the future. So guys like Johnny Peralta, Mike Morse, Corey Hart, Josh Johnson, and Scott Kazmir are all guys that figure to sign for likely no more than 2 year deals. Anyone one of them could easily bounce back and be a candidate for a QO when their new contract expires. Then there's also guys like Carlos Ruiz, Omar Infante, David Murphy, Bartolo Colon, Eric Chavez, and others that likely won't ever earn a qualifying offer in the future, but could provide very good production for the money spent on them.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'd agree with that. I don't see a massive upgrade out there over there to Grandy, except if you are talking Ellsbury.

A dream scenario to me would be Cano, Tanaka, Garza, Granderson - but I don't think it will shake out that way. Sign a lesser piece for 3B and fake it again at C. They'll probably waste the #18 pick on someone like Drew though

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Vazquez View Post
    I'd agree with that. I don't see a massive upgrade out there over there to Grandy, except if you are talking Ellsbury.

A dream scenario to me would be Cano, Tanaka, Garza, Granderson - but I don't think it will shake out that way. Sign a lesser piece for 3B and fake it again at C. They'll probably waste the #18 pick on someone like Drew though
    Would Choo be an upgrade over Granderson? I don't know, but I think his game might be a better fit for what this lineup needs moving forward.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Cards might decline tender on freese, meaning he would become a free agent. Perfect for us with that right field power.

Would garza cost us a pick? If not that might be an interesting pickup

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Would Choo be an upgrade over Granderson? I don't know, but I think his game might be a better fit for what this lineup needs moving forward.
    I think he'd definitely be an upgrade. The question will be if he's worth the pick plus the cost as his deal will exceed Granderson's and probably by more than a little.

Cards might decline tender on freese, meaning he would become a free agent. Perfect for us with that right field power.

Would garza cost us a pick? If not that might be an interesting pickup
    Since he was traded late in the season Garza is ineligable for a QO so he would not cost a pick. He won't come cheap though. I hope they make a run at him if the bidding doesn't get crazy.

Shin-Soo Choo.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Shin-Soo Choo.
    I'm not sure what the difference in $ will end up being, but if we are just going on asking prices - I dunno if Choo minus the #18 pick minus the extra $40-50MM is better than just signing Granderson.

Check out wOBA comparison for Choo vs. Granderson over their careers. Yes, Granderson the past two seasons has had a lower than expected wOBA, but injuries have certainly had an impact.

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphframe....yers=4747,3174

I'm not sure what the difference in $ will end up being, but if we are just going on asking prices - I dunno if Choo minus the #18 pick minus the extra $40-50MM is better than just signing Granderson.

Check out wOBA comparison for Choo vs. Granderson over their careers. Yes, Granderson the past two seasons has had a lower than expected wOBA, but injuries have certainly had an impact.

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphframe....yers=4747,3174
    The draft pick is marginal. It's Choo and a pick somewhere in the 20s or 30s vs Granderson and the 18th. Choo will get more money, but that's about the only downside.

I am not crazy about Choo. Dont like his home/road splits and he also cant do anything against lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I am not crazy about Choo. Dont like his home/road splits and he also cant do anything against lefties.
    You can find a right hander to share his duties. Decent player for the right price...would mash in our stadium.

Personally, I would love it if we didn't chase after the old guys.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Grandy's not much better against lefties either. But Choo's OBP dwarfs that of Granderson. With the way he works pitchers and his uncanny ability to get on base, plus a little bit of pop in his bat and some speed, I think he'd improve the top of this lineup significantly. As for hitting lhp, there's eight other guys in the batting order. I would hope there'd be somebody who can do the job.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Thread Information