+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 168 FirstFirst ... 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 39 79 129 ... LastLast

Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I'm not sure Bradley can replace Ellsbury's production.
    The could also shift Victorino to CF. They'll have Nava and Gomes in the in the OF, they could bring an OF'er with some pop and give Bradley another year before they throw him in the starting line-up. TheSox could be players in the Headley trade games as well.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    The could also shift Victorino to CF. They'll have Nava and Gomes in the in the OF, they could bring an OF'er with some pop and give Bradley another year before they throw him in the starting line-up. TheSox could be players in the Headley trade games as well.
    Are we really talking about the Red Sox Off-Season moves in this thread? Have things gone that south?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post

What Pedroia is making is irrelevant ultimately. What matters is what is the top price someone is willing to pay now to add a talent like Cano on the open market. You can argue that they might be able to spread $200MM more effectively over 8 years, but if you're arguing they shouldn't pay him $200MM because Pedroia got $110MM I think that's flawed.
    The "sign Cano at any cost" people can spin Pedroia's deal any way they want but if you think that any prospective suitor is not going to use that contract as a framework for a negotiation with Cano then that's crazy. The starting point isn't going to be some figure that Jay-Z pulls out of his ass. Agree or not (and I don't) a lot of people in the game think that Pedroia is a superior player and there ain't a team in baseball (other than the one we root for) that is going even think about paying Cano $25 mil a year for the next 8 years.

The people here that want to just give Cano whatever he wants are always quick to come up with various teams that will "definitely" be willing to shell out megabucks to Cano but it's all just speculation to justify a Yankee overpay for their binky. His options are limited.

Regardless of how this ends up I hope Robbie actually does hit the open market so we can actually see what teams are willing to offer as opposed to the Yankees outbidding themselves once again.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

The Yankees reportedly have interest in Grant Balfour along with the Tigers, Rockies, Angels, and Rays.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article...ms-4959222.php

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    The "sign Cano at any cost" people can spin Pedroia's deal any way they want but if you think that any prospective suitor is not going to use that contract as a framework for a negotiation with Cano then that's crazy. The starting point isn't going to be some figure that Jay-Z pulls out of his ass. Agree or not (and I don't) a lot of people in the game think that Pedroia is a superior player and there ain't a team in baseball (other than the one we root for) that is going even think about paying Cano $25 mil a year for the next 8 years.

The people here that want to just give Cano whatever he wants are always quick to come up with various teams that will "definitely" be willing to shell out megabucks to Cano but it's all just speculation to justify a Yankee overpay for their binky. His options are limited.

Regardless of how this ends up I hope Robbie actually does hit the open market so we can actually see what teams are willing to offer as opposed to the Yankees outbidding themselves once again.

Show me those people.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    The Yankees reportedly have interest in Grant Balfour along with the Tigers, Rockies, Angels, and Rays.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article...ms-4959222.php
    1 year deal, sure why not?

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    'm also wondering if the trend of players taking long term deals early in their careers in gonna continue. The game is being flooded with money. The new Tv deal is gonna add $25M to each club/year as one example. With the caps on the draft and Intl free agent spending free agents are becoming a target of last resort for clubs flush with money that can't spend in those areas and haven't developed their own talent. We're gonna see some outrageous FA deals.
    I actually think the exact opposite effect could take place. Because of the flood of money, teams can take a chance to sign young talent earlier, hoping that more of these contracts pan out than don't.

Consider the implication from the player's perspective. You have the choice of accepting a GUARANTEED contract that buys out your arbitration years and beyond as opposed to the risk of injury or failure. Which choice would you make?

Give me the guaranteed contract anytime. I'll bank the money, then take my chances if I reach free agency a year or two later than if I went all the way through arbitration to reach free agency.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Balfour and that korean closer would be swell for the 7th and 8th innings next year...

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that Balfour won't get a multiple year contract, even at age 36 to start the 2014 season.

Durable (averaged 67 appearances a year for Oakland), 38 of 41 in save opportunities last year, 2.59 ERA.

If he can be had on a one year contract, I would take him as long as he does not block Robertson, but is insurance.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

simmer down. Where in my post did I say "sign him at any cost"? Where has anyone said that for that matter?

Let's say I'm significantly underpaid in my job today. I'm performing extremely well. At industry leading levels. Which scenario do you think is more likely to get me a 100% raise?

A). "Hey boss can I have a 100% raise to stay here?
    B). "Hey boss one of your competitor's just offered me a massive raise. I'd like to consider staying, but will need you to match or exceed their offer. I need you to double my salary, and here's why that makes sense for me and the company. If not, I'll have to move on to the competition."

Clearly scenario B because of the risk of losing that industry leading talent. Pedroia was scenario A, and Cano is scenario B. if the Yankees had been smart/fortunate and Cano was amenable, scenario A would have played out a year or two ago.

To be fair, the Yankees were smart with the last extension for Cano and it paid off huge for them.

I think the fact that the Yankees already proactively offered him a reported 7/$165MM shoes that even they don't think Pedroia's 8/$110MM deal is the right baseline for Cano.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    simmer down. Where in my post did I say "sign him at any cost"? Where has anyone said that for that matter?

Let's say I'm significantly underpaid in my job today. I'm performing extremely well. At industry leading levels. Which scenario do you think is more likely to get me a 100% raise?

A). "Hey boss can I have a 100% raise to stay here?
    B). "Hey boss one of your competitor's just offered me a massive raise. I'd like to consider staying, but will need you to match or exceed their offer. I need you to double my salary, and here's why that makes sense for me and the company. If not, I'll have to move on to the competition."

Clearly scenario B because of the risk of losing that industry leading talent. Pedroia was scenario A, and Cano is scenario B. if the Yankees had been smart/fortunate and Cano was amenable, scenario A would have played out a year or two ago.

To be fair, the Yankees were smart with the last extension for Cano and it paid off huge for them.

I think the fact that the Yankees already proactively offered him a reported 7/$165MM shoes that even they don't think Pedroia's 8/$110MM deal is the right baseline for Cano.
    Put another way, I think Cano is a significantly better player than Pedroia (even though I respect the hell out of Pedroia and his game). AND, I think that by market standards, Pedroia's contract is significantly underpriced.

I do have an issue in general with giving out mega contracts, and I think 7/$165mm was a very fair and credible starting point, but Cano is going to get over $200mm. The sport has cash oozing out of its pores right now, Cano is a probable HOF'er, he's an offensive force playing a middle infield position (and playing it very well) and it's a shallow free agent class. While it would be a stretch to say everything is lining up for him (given that the Dodgers and Red Sox have no interest/capacity for him), generally it's all in his favor.

The "sign Cano at any cost" people can spin Pedroia's deal any way they want but if you think that any prospective suitor is not going to use that contract as a framework for a negotiation with Cano then that's crazy.
    I get the feeling you're associating the "sign at any cost" folks with those who want him signed for anything over than 150M and less than 200. Which would kinda make your assumption quite silly.

Agree or not (and I don't) a lot of people in the game think that Pedroia is a superior player and there ain't a team in baseball (other than the one we root for) that is going even think about paying Cano $25 mil a year for the next 8 years.
    It's not up for debate as to who the better player is. Put Cano in Fenway and his numbers are even better than what they currently are -- which is, well, really goddamn good. I get the feeling you're one of those "people," if that's the case, why not just come out and say it? Grit > Talent and lack of hustle, yea?

Those people who speculated Fielder/Hamilton/Pujols/Grienke would all get weak offers were clearly in the right. It's pretty goddamn astonishing there's still people who fail to realize (for whatever goofy reason) that elite players are getting paid elite dollars. I'm not even gonna address the claim that you don't think the clear cut best 2B in the game hitting the market won't draw an ample amount of suitors.

NYYF Legend

I am with you Tek....but think that the timing is great for the Yanks. They absolutely should have extended Robbie a couple of years ago, but there are several big money teams that will have little or no interest, and of course some will pop up, I don't see the "Oh no, Sox, Dodgers, Angels" type teams really driving this to the point that the Yanks are in a world of hurt. Could happen, but nothing more than murmurs.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

I'm wondering....

Even though the league is flush with cash from all the TV money coming about and teams that are spending like drunken sailors, does anyone think someone is going to give Cano a 10 year deal?

I just don't see it.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I am with you Tek....but think that the timing is great for the Yanks. They absolutely should have extended Robbie a couple of years ago, but there are several big money teams that will have little or no interest, and of course some will pop up, I don't see the "Oh no, Sox, Dodgers, Angels" type teams really driving this to the point that the Yanks are in a world of hurt. Could happen, but nothing more than murmurs.
    The big time free agents always get MORE than we originally anticipate. That's one thing I've learned over the last 5 years.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    The big time free agents always get MORE than we originally anticipate. That's one thing I've learned over the last 5 years.
    It's also true that we often fail to anticipate the teams that will participate in the bidding. I don't think Cano is going anywhere near $300 million, but I also don't think any team is going to approach him using Pedroia's contract as a benchmark.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    It's also true that we often fail to anticipate the teams that will participate in the bidding. I don't think Cano is going anywhere near $300 million, but I also don't think any team is going to approach him using Pedroia's contract as a benchmark.
    Agreed. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the 7/161 extension he rejected is where the bidding will begin. If that wasn't good enough to get him to stay with his current team, I don't see why he would sign an inferior contract to play for a new team.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Balfour will, in all likelihood, get a multi-year offer. Regardless, there is absolutely no need for this organization to resort to free agency for bullpen arms, especially not one accompanied by the "closer" tag.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Agreed. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the 7/161 extension he rejected is where the bidding will begin. If that wasn't good enough to get him to stay with his current team, I don't see why he would sign an inferior contract to play for a new team.
    And even if the concrete offer wasn't out there, teams wouldn't start with the Pedroia deal. You can't hardball the best hitter in a FA class with a below market value contract.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    The Orioles could easily be players for him. Remember, they were in on Tex and that was when they were terrible. Can't count the Tigers out either, with Illitch being the richest owner in the sport and all.

Plenty of dark horse teams out there. As someone already mentioned, there's just money waiting to be spent in this game nowadays.

In many fans' eyes, the other teams never make "crazy" bids.

Yankees only end up with crazy contracts only because they bid against themselves.

I think most fans are still evaluating contracts with the standards of late 90s and early 2000s. Times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    The Orioles could easily be players for him. Remember, they were in on Tex and that was when they were terrible. Can't count the Tigers out either, with Illitch being the richest owner in the sport and all.

Plenty of dark horse teams out there. As someone already mentioned, there's just money waiting to be spent in this game nowadays.
    I thought the Tigers were tapped out?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I thought the Tigers were tapped out?
    They're not tapped out, but they have some contracts like Cabrera and Scherzer expiring over the next two years. I think Cabrera's final year is 2015 and Scherzer 2014.
    Is this the end of the Brian Cashman era?

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    Balfour and that korean closer would be swell for the 7th and 8th innings next year...
    No offense to Robertson but if we got Balfour he'd be closing.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Balfour will, in all likelihood, get a multi-year offer. Regardless, there is absolutely no need for this organization to resort to free agency for bullpen arms, especially not one accompanied by the "closer" tag.
    Completely agree. "Established reliever" is the most overrated and overpriced commodity there is. No need to spend any real money on the bullpen.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information