+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 168 FirstFirst ... 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 74 124 ... LastLast

Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    my opinion doesn't matter... the yankees are going to keep him at SS even if he's in a wheelchair, and the sooner the fans realize this, the easier they'll be able to sleep at night
    Whats with him batting second tho?

How about sixth or seventh in that lineup

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    Whats with him batting second tho?

How about sixth or seventh in that lineup
    Because his last REAL season (2012) he led the league in hits? We don't have any idea at this point if we are getting back DJ2012 or DJ2013 and until we have a read, and knowing Jeter's penchant for hard work and attitude to come back, I would not assume that it WON'T be the 2012 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    Because his last REAL season (2012) he led the league in hits? We don't have any idea at this point if we are getting back DJ2012 or DJ2013 and until we have a read, and knowing Jeter's penchant for hard work and attitude to come back, I would not assume that it WON'T be the 2012 version.
    I agree with a lot of Yankee fans in that I think Derek should be a DH from now on. People though Derek was superhuman because he would lots of games in seasons and play SS for most of those games and you know how hard Derek plays at short so you know those legs of his have a lot of wear and tear on them. His legs finally gave out on him because he's at an age now where he can't be going all out on plays in the field anymore. I don't think you move Derek down in the lineup because he's always been a threat at the beginning of games to get on base which leads to early runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    I think Hughes would probably succeed somewhere on the west coast, where he's from. Padres or Angels for example. Could probably be a solid #2 in the rotation.

Sort of off topic, but would the Yankees benefit more if they moved the fences out? It would help fly ball pitchers, plus the Yankee power hitters are good enough to hit it out anywhere anyways.
    Phil Hughes need a big ball park like Target Field or Petco park.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    my opinion doesn't matter... the yankees are going to keep him at SS even if he's in a wheelchair, and the sooner the fans realize this, the easier they'll be able to sleep at night
    I don't think it's the Yankees, it's Joe Girardi. He likes to keep the DH spot for players needing a half a day off or players coming back from an injury. He likes to keep it open so he can alternate.

He'll succeed when he learns to aim downwards. Down and away. Down and away. Not quite rocket science for hughes. Just have the catchers setup their mitts 6" lower on every pitch. Worked wonders for the braves and aj burnett. Down, and away. Repeat. Down and away. His bb/9 indicates he has control and his k/9 indicates command (or is it the reverse, i always forget).

Hughes problem is the hr rate. So...DOWN and AWAY.

Yankees prolly not gonna extend a qo. He'll probably go to sd or some nl team where they will tell him to throw down and away and voila, aj burnett part two
    There is also his inability to finish guys off, after two strikes, which he seems to get quickly, then falls off a cliff. I'd love to see his stats concerning this.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jcamacho View Post
    I don't think it's the Yankees, it's Joe Girardi. He likes to keep the DH spot for players needing a half a day off or players coming back from an injury. He likes to keep it open so he can alternate.
    The combined DHs hit .189/.276/.307/.583 with 65 runs scored. Just Jeter at DH would be a huge improvement, even if has a so-so year.
    Let the kids play.

Tanaka looks like he really nibbles the corners. Hope to see him in pinstripes.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Or Yellowstone.

Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Or Yellowstone.
    Boo for trading Prado.

Yellowstone MAY help.

WOW. Late to the party. Kudos to whoever put it first.

Or Yellowstone.
    That's great!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    From purely a gidp perspective, i wouldnt want to put him there

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Or Yellowstone.
    RANGERS TO PULL IN FENCES

The U. S. Forest Service today announced their intention to pull in the fences of Yellowstone Park in an attempt to increase offense.

"Our concern is that this park is too pitcher friendly, which might result in Phil Hughes becoming the ace of our staff. Our decision to pull in the fences is a direct response to this concern." stated an anonymous source with knowledge of the situation.
    ________
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    There is also his inability to finish guys off, after two strikes, which he seems to get quickly, then falls off a cliff. I'd love to see his stats concerning this.
    Good point. Going down and away alleviates a lot of need for a strikeout pitch as i think hughes is afraid of contact due to the high homer rate.

But yea u do have a point. But i think his era could be in the low 4s in the AL and high 3s in the NL if he just stuck to down and away. I mean that was the entire braves philosophy forever and it seems to work well

Hughes doesn't have an out pitch. It wasn't as noticeable when he was reliever and had that really good year, but as a starter that's his biggest weakness. He has two pitches. Once he gets 2 strikes he just keeps throwing hard flat fastballs, and batters know it's coming, and they foul off the bad ones, and rock the good ones. That's why the Yankees have been trying to develop him with a 3rd pitch for a while now, and it just hasn't happened.

If he goes to Minnesota or some NL West team he'll probably look decent. For the AL and specifically the AL East and more specifically the Yankees I don't think he brings a lot to the table. He'd probably be better long term if he was converted to reliever full time. He could get away with only having two pitches, and should have his gas on the ball

Good point. Going down and away alleviates a lot of need for a strikeout pitch as i think hughes is afraid of contact due to the high homer rate.

But yea u do have a point. But i think his era could be in the low 4s in the AL and high 3s in the NL if he just stuck to down and away. I mean that was the entire braves philosophy forever and it seems to work well
    Yeah, those guys, especially Maddox, by the time the 6th inning rolled around, he was getting called strikes that were not even close to the black !
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    Hughes doesn't have an out pitch. It wasn't as noticeable when he was reliever and had that really good year, but as a starter that's his biggest weakness. He has two pitches. Once he gets 2 strikes he just keeps throwing hard flat fastballs, and batters know it's coming, and they foul off the bad ones, and rock the good ones. That's why the Yankees have been trying to develop him with a 3rd pitch for a while now, and it just hasn't happened.

If he goes to Minnesota or some NL West team he'll probably look decent. For the AL and specifically the AL East and more specifically the Yankees I don't think he brings a lot to the table. He'd probably be better long term if he was converted to reliever full time. He could get away with only having two pitches, and should have his gas on the ball
    Good Post. I agree with all of this. What I don't understand is why we could not trade him and get "someone" for him. I know he was shopped around and there were some rumors out west. (I don't know if we have pitching coaches that can develop another pitch. We tried with AJ. I think the Pirates picked up AJ's option)

Can someone remind me how the QO works again? So if Kuroda, Cano, and Grandy decline their qualifying offers today (pretty sure Yanks will extend one to all 3), does that mean we get a pick in the 1st round?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Can someone remind me how the QO works again? So if Kuroda, Cano, and Grandy decline their qualifying offers today (pretty sure Yanks will extend one to all 3), does that mean we get a pick in the 1st round?
    For each player that declines the qualifying offer and signs a major-league contract with another team, the Yankees get a sandwich pick.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    I read somewhere that the management is undecided to offer Grandy the qualifying offer (14M)because he may accept and we have Gardner, Soriano, Wells, Ichiro, and I like Almonte. I think this is one area they want to cut. I always liked Soriano and glad he's back. (still can't figure the funny math with Jeter how we saved 2M by paying him 12M and his option was 9.5M with the luxuary tax. Don't try I am too dumb.)

Basically for every QO we make and the players decline, we get a pick in the mid 20s to low 30s.

Those picks are worth ~10-20% of a top five pick according to most studies I've seen. Each one of those picks, on average, yields roughly a Phil Hughes (in terms of WAR).

Nice pieces to be sure, but not likely to produce super stars (roughly 1 in 10 to 20 picks in the 11~30 range will give you a "super star" of some kind).

MLB drafts are not like NFL drafts. Past the top 1 to 5 picks or so, the picks become crap shoots in a real hurry. That's why tanking for picks is not really a long term strategy and you can't really "bite the bullet and rebuild". You get the best players you can afford and hope someone comes through to get you over the top.

Unless you can tank all the way to the bottom 5 of MLB for at least 2 or 3 years (because 1 top 5 pick is still a dog to become a star). The Yankees aren't even close to being that awful.

If Salty doesn't receive a QO, I think he'd be an interesting C to look at. Will be a ton cheaper than McCann, and replaceable if Sanchez/Murphy start to mash. Wouldn't go anymore than 4/42 on him.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Thanks fellas

Addicted Member

You were right all three (Cano, Kuroda, and Grandy) got qualifying offers today and all three are expected to decline. Grandy's is 14.1 M - I know he wants multi year contract.

Thread Information