+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 168 FirstFirst ... 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 71 121 ... LastLast

Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Not so sure it's a good idea at any price, unless the team is completely desperate and has no other options. This is a guy who has not been healthy in years, and there's almost no reason to believe that will suddenly change in 2014 as he's yet another year older. If they had signed him to the league minimum in 2013, maybe that would've sounded like a good idea too, but he was out most of the year and only got into a handful of games. It's gotta be a good idea beyond simply calculating what he adds to the payroll. The team really needs to move forward, not backwards, which is what signing Youkilis would mean.
    This is why having Rodriguez suspended for the entire season might not be such a great thing for the team.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    This is why having Rodriguez suspended for the entire season might not be such a great thing for the team.
    I'm fine if he's gone for the entire season. In fact I'd welcome it. The problem is the Hot Stove League starts after the series is over and the Yankees have no clue if they will have him for all or any of 2014 or if they need to shop for a 3B replacement. (And no, Nunez is not the solution; long or short term.) It's Kind of hard to make moves and contract offers if you don't know who will be on your roster.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

In a way, I agree. If only ARod were more than just a shell of the player he used to be.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    I'm fine if he's gone for the entire season. In fact I'd welcome it. The problem is the Hot Stove League starts after the series is over and the Yankees have no clue if they will have him for all or any of 2014 or if they need to shop for a 3B replacement. (And no, Nunez is not the solution; long or short term.) It's Kind of hard to make moves and contract offers if you don't know who will be on your roster.
    If they found out tomorrow that he was gone for the season, who would you suggest they get for 3B?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

If they found out tomorrow that he was gone for the season, who would you suggest they get for 3B?
    What's Aaron Boone doing these days?

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    Is there any interest at all in bringing back Youkilis? SI reports that according to his agent he is all healed up and could have played in post season had the Yankees gotten there. If he has no other suitors, would you give him a low dollar 1 year contract with some incentives added? Not knowing the status of Rodriguez really clouds the issue at 3B. Or is the answer Nunez?
    Given the paucity of 3B options as free agents, I would be surprised if Youk does not get some interest.

Still, if the Yankees could sign him for a team-friendly contract, say $3M base plus incentives, I think he would be a great addition as a 3B/1B/DH/PH addition.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Given the paucity of 3B options as free agents, I would be surprised if Youk does not get some interest.

Still, if the Yankees could sign him for a team-friendly contract, say $3M base plus incentives, I think he would be a great addition as a 3B/1B/DH/PH addition.
    Which brings me back to my previous argument: I'd rather have the shell of A-Rod than the broken body of Kevin Youkilis.
    - Barry Manilow

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Which brings me back to my previous argument: I'd rather have the shell of A-Rod than the broken body of Kevin Youkilis.
    If we get the skill of Alex. If we ignore $189 I fully agree, if not I would take the hit skill wise and try to upgrade elsewhere

NYYF Triple Crown

Saw an article the other day that mentioned a renewed interest in Chase Headley, and a possible trade match between the two teams. Looking at Headley's numbers, his 2012 season was off the charts compared with the rest of his career. 2013 was more in line with his previous numbers. Not bad, but nothing to get overly excited about. If he's the guy that takes over 3rd base, is he a difference maker?

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Saw an article the other day that mentioned a renewed interest in Chase Headley, and a possible trade match between the two teams. Looking at Headley's numbers, his 2012 season was off the charts compared with the rest of his career. 2013 was more in line with his previous numbers. Not bad, but nothing to get overly excited about. If he's the guy that takes over 3rd base, is he a difference maker?
    I don't think any one guy is a "difference maker" in baseball. Headley is very solid, and would certainly improve the team. His offensive contribution last year was comparable to what Pedroia's done for the Sox the last couple of years, and he plays an important position. And, it would be much smarter to get him now that after last year.

The question, of course, is what you'd have to give up to get him.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

You probably saw Joel Sherman's piece:

The Padres will listen if teams are interested. But San Diego believes it is more in a win-now mode and will deal him only for cost-effective players ready for the majors now or close to the majors. Padres officials feel, because of that, the Yanks are not a match. This is one of the problems of having an unproductive farm system — not only are you not feeding the big league team useful parts, but those parts do not exist for trades.
    That's going to be a problem in almost any trade.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

Nope. The guy is complete glass. Remember how much time JD Drew missed as a Red Sock? Everyone loved calling him Nancy Drew. There was one player who very quietly missed MORE time than Drew- Yup, Youkilis.

I would not be surprised if Youkilis retires, with chronic back. I know age is on his side, but that is about it, he is cooked.

My stance last winter was the same - he would be valuable when he played, but he would wind up not making 100 games.

Same concern I have with Jetes going forward.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Nope. The guy is complete glass. Remember how much time JD Drew missed as a Red Sock? Everyone loved calling him Nancy Drew. There was one player who very quietly missed MORE time than Drew- Yup, Youkilis.

I would not be surprised if Youkilis retires, with chronic back. I know age is on his side, but that is about it, he is cooked.

My stance last winter was the same - he would be valuable when he played, but he would wind up not making 100 games.

Same concern I have with Jetes going forward.
    It's probably fair to say then that SS is as much of a question mark as 3B. I was thinking the Yankees go with a Jeter/Ryan platoon, with Jeter DHing on days he's not on the field.

NYYF Triple Crown

You probably saw Joel Sherman's piece:

That's going to be a problem in almost any trade.
    This is where Cashman will have to show what he's made of. He has to find a way to improve the team instead of simply becoming a victim of his diminished resources. How creative can he be? We'll see.

NYYF Cy Young

This is where Cashman will have to show what he's made of. He has to find a way to improve the team instead of simply becoming a victim of his diminished resources. How creative can he be? We'll see.
    Cashman made his Bed, this is his farm system.
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownYankee View Post
    Cashman made his Bed, this is his farm system.

All this talk about $189 million would be irrelevant had Cashman not failed to deliver what he promised. Yet, people want him to continue pissing money away despite of his shoddy record for building a decent farm and player development. It's incredible that some blame ownership for being "cheap" while other teams build teams more successfully for a fraction of the Yanks' ridiculously disparate payroll. He created this mess, period. I wouldn't trust Cashman spending $10 of my money.

If A-Rod is suspended the entire season, I'd like to see the Yankees re-sign Cano, Reynolds, Ryan, and Kuroda and acquire McCann, Drew, Choo, and Tanaka. That should put them right around $189mill. If A-Rod's not suspended the entire season, that throws a monkey wrench into that idea.

I don't think they really have the assets to trade for any major pieces, so they're unfortunately probably going to have to go the FA route to fill holes.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    If A-Rod is suspended the entire season, I'd like to see the Yankees re-sign Cano, Reynolds, Ryan, and Kuroda and acquire McCann, Drew, Choo, and Tanaka. That should put them right around $189mill. If A-Rod's not suspended the entire season, that throws a monkey wrench into that idea.

I don't think they really have the assets to trade for any major pieces, so they're unfortunately probably going to have to go the FA route to fill holes.
    The problem here is the Arod thing will draw out late into the winter.
    The nightmare scenario is the Yankees wait to see what happens with Arod, miss out on all the needed parts, then lose Alex for the year too late to do anything about it..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

I don't believe they're going to stress very much about 189.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I don't believe they're going to stress very much about 189.
    Yep. How can they, especially after the Sox won it all? Being $-conscious and not going after the very best as a result of that , would be suicide. Based on the numbers, interest in the team is already starting to dwindle. Worse, they can conceivable lose some of the money-spending, bandwagon fans to the Mets, as their more impressive prospects start to make an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Yep. How can they, especially after the Sox won it all? Being $-conscious and not going after the very best as a result of that , would be suicide. Based on the numbers, interest in the team is already starting to dwindle. Worse, they can conceivable lose some of the money-spending, bandwagon fans to the Mets, as their more impressive prospects start to make an impact.
    It will be interesting, won't it?

The A-Rod fiasco does need to get resolved, though. That's a lot of money and a key position to have all that uncertainty around.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Not to mention Corporations that buy those box seats
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

So - they talk about the 189 million... They get the payroll under that and it resets the luxury tax rate.

What would be the difference if they got the payroll down to say, 195 million this season (2014) and then got under the threshold next season (2015)?
    They would pay the 50% on the 6 million this year and reset the tax rate for next year.
    Is missing out on October this year worth what could be a few million?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    So - they talk about the 189 million... They get the payroll under that and it resets the luxury tax rate.

What would be the difference if they got the payroll down to say, 195 million this season (2014) and then got under the threshold next season (2015)?
    They would pay the 50% on the 6 million this year and reset the tax rate for next year.
    Is missing out on October this year worth what could be a few million?
    What's the difference between getting below the threshold in 2015 vs. 2014? It could actually be easier this year if A-Rod gets a lengthy suspension. The three big contracts are still going to be on the books in 2015, and you'd likely be facing the same challenge.

Unless, of course, Hal forgoes the whole exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    What's the difference between getting below the threshold in 2015 vs. 2014? It could actually be easier this year if A-Rod gets a lengthy suspension. The three big contracts are still going to be on the books in 2015, and you'd likely be facing the same challenge.

Unless, of course, Hal forgoes the whole exercise.
    I'm still not sure that there is a better option at thirdbase for the Yankees.
    But that's not near the point.
    The over all payroll.
    If they get near the 189 million and still need a player or two, why wouldn't they be inclined to go over the threshold a little bit, pay the tax for 2014 and then further reduce next year's payroll?

People are making this whole 189 million dollar cap a hard line in the sand.
    I don't think it's that cut and dry.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Thread Information