+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 168 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 68 118 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He's really just a platoon player now, though.
    He is definitely much better against RHP but he still posted a .347 OBP against lefties last year. That's better than what we got from Wells and Ichiro! against LHP.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    He is definitely much better against RHP but he still posted a .347 OBP against lefties last year. That's better than what we got from Wells and Ichiro! against LHP.
    That last sentence is damning him with faint praise. And .215/.347/.265 really isn't a bat you want in the lineup much. Against lefties, he's reliant almost entirely on the HBP, which isn't altogether a bad thing, but when it's all you've got...

I've always liked Choo a lot, and I wish he hadn't deteriorated so completely against lefties. But he has, and it's hard to spin it any other way.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

That last sentence is damning him with faint praise. And .215/.347/.265 really isn't a bat you want in the lineup much. Against lefties, he's reliant almost entirely on the HBP, which isn't altogether a bad thing, but when it's all you've got...

I've always liked Choo a lot, and I wish he hadn't deteriorated so completely against lefties. But he has, and it's hard to spin it any other way.
    It would be nice if they signed Choo and Mike Morse. Morse could serve as the primary DH since he doesn't show a dramatic split. Against LHP you could sit Choo, start Morse in RF and DH Jeter.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Grandy stunk against LHP and Long did a good job fixing that

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    It would be nice if they signed Choo and Mike Morse. Morse could serve as the primary DH since he doesn't show a dramatic split. Against LHP you could sit Choo, start Morse in RF and DH Jeter.
    No problem with a plan like that. As teknetic said, Choo is about as good as a platoon player gets - he absolutely murders right-handed pitching. But if they sign him, they should assume he's not going to play against lefties at all and plan accordingly.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

Just read Steven Drew is on Cashman target list (Bleacher's). I just have a problem with Cashman. OK, Drew is not bad but not that good. I am against this and if the BoSox don't resign sin him, I don't want him. I love October baseball even if we are not in it and (I think) this Drew is not getting the key hits and miss a big bunt situation, he made a big defensive play. Napoli and that young third baseman (Bogrart?) are surprising me. I hope Cashman makes better moves than this because I am worried. I don't like these bandage replacements.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Just read Steven Drew is on Cashman target list (Bleacher's). I just have a problem with Cashman. OK, Drew is not bad but not that good. I am against this and if the BoSox don't resign sin him, I don't want him. I love October baseball even if we are not in it and (I think) this Drew is not getting the key hits and miss a big bunt situation, he made a big defensive play. Napoli and that young third baseman (Bogrart?) are surprising me. I hope Cashman makes better moves than this because I am worried. I don't like these bandage replacements.
    The thing is, without a player ready from the minors, we do have to sign someone to play short as we can't expect Jeter to play regularly, or even much at all, at short next year. Drew and Peralta are probably going to be the top SS available.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    The thing is, without a player ready from the minors, we do have to sign someone to play short as we can't expect Jeter to play regularly, or even much at all, at short next year. Drew and Peralta are probably going to be the top SS available.
    If the Yanks can re-sign Cano and get some offensive power from 1B (Teixeira), the catcher's spot (McCann) and the outfield (pick two: Soriano, Granderson, Beltran), I think it would be wise to re-sign Brendan Ryan and have him play shortstop everyday - I don't mind him batting 9th and giving up the offense. Jeter needs to be a team player and make the transition over to 3B. He and A-Rod (if A-Rod's suspension gets reduced) can share the 3B/DH slots alternately.

CF - Gardner
    3B - Jeter
    2B - Cano
    1B - Teixeira
    LF - Soriano
    DH - A-Rod
    RF - Granderson/Beltran
    C - McCann
    SS - Ryan

Bench - Cervelli/Romine/Murphy, Nunez/Nix, Ichiro, Wells/Mark Reynolds/FA David Murphy
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

derek jeter will play SS until he retires... people need to accept this reality
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    My hope is that Derek will realize that it's more important to stay healthy and be productive for 140+ games than it is to selfishly hang on to the SS position "for old times' sake.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

For the 20 or so games until he gets hurt that is.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    If the Yanks can re-sign Cano and get some offensive power from 1B (Teixeira), the catcher's spot (McCann) and the outfield (pick two: Soriano, Granderson, Beltran), I think it would be wise to re-sign Brendan Ryan and have him play shortstop everyday - I don't mind him batting 9th and giving up the offense. Jeter needs to be a team player and make the transition over to 3B. He and A-Rod (if A-Rod's suspension gets reduced) can share the 3B/DH slots alternately.

CF - Gardner
    3B - Jeter
    2B - Cano
    1B - Teixeira
    LF - Soriano
    DH - A-Rod
    RF - Granderson/Beltran
    C - McCann
    SS - Ryan

Bench - Cervelli/Romine/Murphy, Nunez/Nix, Ichiro, Wells/Mark Reynolds/FA David Murphy
    If they do that then I agree.

For the 20 or so games until he gets hurt that is.
    One of the most durable players in MLB gets a serious injury then attempts to come back multiple times to help his team before the injury can completely heal and he gets branded by these type of posts.
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

CF - Gardner
    3B - Jeter
    2B - Cano
    1B - Teixeira
    LF - Soriano
    DH - A-Rod
    RF - Granderson/Beltran
    C - McCann
    SS - Ryan

Not sure how realistic this is - your proposed free agent signings would cost approximately $70 million for 2014, and that doesn't even address the need for starting and relief pitching.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Richmond Virginians

My hope is that Derek will realize that it's more important to stay healthy and be productive for 140+ games than it is to selfishly hang on to the SS position "for old times' sake.
    My hope is that he is realistic and retires.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    My hope is that he is realistic and retires.
    and who would play SS? brendan ryan and his .600 OPS? or maybe eduardo nunez, one of the worst players offensively and defensively in the league in 2013?

he's old and his range is severely diminished, but i'd still rather have a 40 year old jeter out there than any of the other options we currently have in house
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Richmond Virginians

and who would play SS? brendan ryan and his .600 OPS? or maybe eduardo nunez, one of the worst players offensively and defensively in the league in 2013?

he's old and his range is severely diminished, but i'd still rather have a 40 year old jeter out there than any of the other options we currently have in house
    And this is the problem with the Yankees. They have not developed anyone to take over. Lost a big opportunity when they did not trade Cano to Texas for some young studs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    One of the most durable players in MLB gets a serious injury then attempts to come back multiple times to help his team before the injury can completely heal and he gets branded by these type of posts.
    Right because I was somehow disparaging Jeter. Have no idea how you misinterpreted my post but let me state it in nice and simple terms. I think it would be foolish to go into 2014 thinking Jeter will defy history where fee healthy 40 year olds without injury concerns play short regularly. Add on a player, even as durable as Jeter has been, with a twice broken ankle, the first very seriously and the odds are even worse. To go in with no alternative would be very foolish. I think if he DH primarily he can be productive with the bat but to expect him to play 150 games at short is very unrealistic. And by the way, no one is a bigger Jeter fan than me.

Jeter the DH at age 40 scores 100 runs and is an enormous asset to the 2014 team. Jeter the SS is a high risk for further injury even if he's fully healed. It's just not worth it, and that's putting his defensive range aside.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Jeter the DH at age 40 scores 100 runs and is an enormous asset to the 2014 team. Jeter the SS is a high risk for further injury even if he's fully healed. It's just not worth it, and that's putting his defensive range aside.
    Bub, what do you think about him agreeing/adapting to playing 3B besides DHing? Wouldn't that solve yet another 2 areas of concern ( a better defensive SS in Ryan and another alternative for A-Rod's absence @ 3B)?

Agreed on both. Yanks would be very wise to make him their full-time DH in 2014 (with maybe an occasional game at short) and find someone else to play short.

NYYF Legend

Jeter shouldnt be playing more than 90 games at SS in 2014, he needs someone to platoon with him, whether thats Drew, Nunez, or Ryan I dont know but its clear we can not physically play that may games at SS.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Right because I was somehow disparaging Jeter. Have no idea how you misinterpreted my post but let me state it in nice and simple terms. I think it would be foolish to go into 2014 thinking Jeter will defy history where fee healthy 40 year olds without injury concerns play short regularly. Add on a player, even as durable as Jeter has been, with a twice broken ankle, the first very seriously and the odds are even worse. To go in with no alternative would be very foolish. I think if he DH primarily he can be productive with the bat but to expect him to play 150 games at short is very unrealistic. And by the way, no one is a bigger Jeter fan than me.
    I don't disagree with that, but that's not what you originally posted when I replied to you. You said he would get hurt after just 20 games. I don't expect Jeter to play 150 games at SS, but I don't expect him to break down after just 20 games either.

Jeter is going to play SS in 2014. The question is how many games. I don't expect him doing so for 120-150 games, but I can see him doing it for 100-110 games.

I don't disagree with that, but that's not what you originally posted when I replied to you. You said he would get hurt after just 20 games. I don't expect Jeter to play 150 games at SS, but I don't expect him to break down after just 20 games either.
    With the condition of his ankle, it would not surprise me if it didn't last more than 20 games if he tried to play regularly at short. If it was just a simple break and he was a few years younger, not an issue, but this was a very serious break and at 40, it isn't a chance I would take. It is nothing against Jeter personally or his character, just law of nature. I think the wisest course of action is to make him the full-time DH. I think that limits the risk of re-injury and I think he would be a valuable bat in that role.

Thread Information