+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 168 FirstFirst ... 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Let's focus on Cano and Tanaka first. Whether going after McCann or Beltran or none will depend on A-Rod's arbitration result.
    I like this part.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I did. He's missed a bulk of the time due to an injured shoulder he suffered in the second half of 2012. Why are you so sure it's a sign of him breaking down?
    Because it would be foolish to ignore the fact that he's missed 135 games in 3 years. That's almost a full season's worth of games in itself. Am I supposed to expect him to suddenly become more durable as he ages?

I wouldn't really care if you had no interest in signing the guy, but you're lamenting over the loss of Russell Martin. A healthy McCann is probably a top-5 catcher. You're greatly underestimating how good of a hitter he is.
    I lament the loss of Martin because of the very affordable contract it would have taken to retain him. If Martin were asking for $15 million a year, I would have wished him good riddance. I don't underestimate or dislike McCann at all - I simply dislike what it's going to cost, and don't see how this will end well for the Yankees. Staying healthy is a huge "if", and the basis for why I don't think he's worth the amount of money and years being discussed.

IYou also just keep avoiding the fact that he'd have the option of DH'ing. He's not a sign-at-all-costs type of player, but he's nowhere as overrated as you're making it out to be.
    How many DH's will this team have between Jeter, ARod (if he's not suspended), and to a lesser extent, Soriano? No way is Jeter the everyday SS in 2014.

To me, a player who misses roughly 45 games a year, and struggles to attain an OPS of .800 is not worth $15 million a year. I wouldn't give him more than $10 million annually.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Let's focus on Cano and Tanaka first. Whether going after McCann or Beltran or none will depend on A-Rod's arbitration result.
    The Yankees can't afford to wait on the Arod arbitration as the results might not be known until sometime in December.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The Yankees can't afford to wait on the Arod arbitration as the results might not be known until sometime in December.
    If they don't have the $189M cap, I agree. They probably would put all their focus on Cano and Tanaka first.

If they don't have the $189M cap, I agree. They probably would put all their focus on Cano and Tanaka first.
    Even if they do have the 189M cap they can't afford to be passive like they were last offseason. Such lack of aggressiveness is a strategy for failure.

I view last off-season more as making some questionable and poor decisions than being passive.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Even if they do have the 189M cap they can't afford to be passive like they were last offseason. Such lack of aggressiveness is a strategy for failure.
    One more thing, they need to give Cashman his budget earlier in the offseason. The lateness of giving him a proper budget last year and re-signing Ichiro cost them Martin and a shot at Tori Hunter.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Is it possible he had a pretty darn good idea of what his budget was, and that his perceived passiveness was actually deliberate and calculated? When it comes to making bolder, more significant moves, Cashman has seemed to act a bit more ploddingly for a while now.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Because it would be foolish to ignore the fact that he's missed 135 games in 3 years. That's almost a full season's worth of games in itself. Am I supposed to expect him to suddenly become more durable as he ages?
    Who's ignoring it? This wasn't a string of injuries where he repeatedly found himself on the DL. He's 29 going on 30, which apparently is the new 37 going on 40.

I lament the loss of Martin because of the very affordable contract it would have taken to retain him. If Martin were asking for $15 million a year, I would have wished him good riddance. I don't underestimate or dislike McCann at all - I simply dislike what it's going to cost, and don't see how this will end well for the Yankees. Staying healthy is a huge "if", and the basis for why I don't think he's worth the amount of money and years being discussed.
    The only reason the big numbers are being floated around is because he's a superior player than Russell Martin. I wouldn't touch him with for 5/90 or anything higher than an AAV over $15M which is seemingly the floor for All-Star caliber players.

How many DH's will this team have between Jeter, ARod (if he's not suspended), and to a lesser extent, Soriano? No way is Jeter the everyday SS in 2014.
    Tying up a spot in the lineup because you have a bunch of old dudes who may get hurt sounds like an awful idea. (it is)

To me, a player who misses roughly 45 games a year, and struggles to attain an OPS of .800 is not worth $15 million a year. I wouldn't give him more than $10 million annually.
    He actually has a .823 OPS for his career and, as already mentioned, played the second of half of 2012 with the shoulder injury that required surgery. Struggles to attain an OPS of .800? Really?

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Is it possible he had a pretty darn good idea of what his budget was, and that his perceived passiveness was actually deliberate and calculated? When it comes to making bolder, more significant moves, Cashman has seemed to act a bit more ploddingly for a while now.
    My recollection is that the budget target moving was pretty well reported. Besides, I'm not sure signing FA's is actually very bold - it's been a core Yankee strategy for nearly 40 years, including Cashman's tenure.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Who's ignoring it? This wasn't a string of injuries where he repeatedly found himself on the DL. He's 29 going on 30, which apparently is the new 37 going on 40.
    Yeah, it was a string of injuries spanning 3 seasons - and yes, a 30 year-old catcher has much more wear and tear on his body than a 30 year-old playing any other position. The fact that McCann has missed so many games during the past 3 years (and experienced declining production) are signs that McCann is breaking down.

The only reason the big numbers are being floated around is because he's a superior player than Russell Martin. I wouldn't touch him with for 5/90 or anything higher than an AAV over $15M which is seemingly the floor for All-Star caliber players.
    He's not worth $8 million a year more than Martin (or $2.5 million more than what Buster Posey will earn in 2014). Not even close.

Tying up a spot in the lineup because you have a bunch of old dudes who may get hurt sounds like an awful idea. (it is)
    Perhaps, but the way this team is constructed, they don't have a choice - you really think Jeter and A-Rod will ride the bench if they can't play the field every day? The reality is that Jeter, A-Rod, and Soriano will eat up most of the AB's at DH and you still refuse to acknowledge that.

He actually has a .823 OPS for his career and, as already mentioned, played the second of half of 2012 with the shoulder injury that required surgery. Struggles to attain an OPS of .800? Really?
    Yeah, really:
    2011: .817 OPS
    2012: .698 OPS
    2013: .796 OPS

You might want to actually look at his numbers before making a comment like that.

The odds of McCann replicating his early-career production are about as likely as Martin doing the same.
    Last edited by Zimmers' Helmet; 10-21-13 at 06:34 AM.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Addicted Member

Out of any position to count on our system going forward, I feel comfortable filling the catcher position internally. First of all, having an average catcher is far from crippling and having just one of our guys turn out average is a low-end projection considering of what we've got. Romine was good in the second half, albeit in limited action. Murphy wasn't so hot in his cup of tea in the majors but what's more important is the way he played in AA and AAA. Gary Sanchez is commonly regarded as the second highest rated catching prospects in the major leagues and has all star potential if the information I've read online is accurate. Peter O'Brien might not play catcher going forward but I think that's just an organizational statement that we already have talent in the position and can afford to move a good catcher to a new position where we're less deep. I'll also mention Luis Torrens since we spent big bucks for him.

I'm not saying our minor league development is or has been great. We are lacking in infielders and our OF prospects are far from certainties. Pitching has talent but, comparing our system to other teams, I think catching is our strongest area.

Signing McCann basically commits 4+ years to him. Not only do I think he has a high risk of not earning his contract but I think we can utilize our financial resources more efficiently. I'd rather spend the McCann on a shortstop. I don't think we can count on Jeter to ever be full-time there ever again.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

We don't need to be spending $80 plus (maybe more) on someone who likely will spend a significant time at DH.

NYYF Legend

This is what the Yankees should do:

Shin-Soo Choo 4/$63
    Brian McCann 5/$75
    Masahiro Tanaka 6/$70 + posting fee
    Robinson Cano 8/$190
    Suk-Min Yoon 3/$33

1 year deals for
    Mark Reynolds
    Brendan Ryan

Trade Brett Gardner, Francisco Cervelli, Austin Romine, Eduardo Nunez

Bullpen of Robertson, Betances, Warren, Daley, Cabral, Kelley, Claiborne

Thats a postseason team!!
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post

Shin-Soo Choo 4/$63
    Brian McCann 5/$75
    Robinson Cano 8/$190
    Suk-Min Yoon 3/$33

1 year deals for
    Mark Reynolds
    Brendan Ryan

Yankees would get 0 back in return for Cervelli n Romine and why trade Gardner?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by JOBA RULES View Post
    Yankees would get 0 back in return for Cervelli n Romine and why trade Gardner?
    And why to people still insist on a LT contract with McCann?

Suk-Min Yoon? why?

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Suk-Min Yoon? why?
    He paid for dinner?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Suk-Min Yoon? why?

I am a bit leery of signing anyone whose first name is Suk!
    Yogi - “It’s tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 12m dodgers agree to $28M, 4-year deal with alex guerrero. $10M signing bonus.

Well that's good news for the Cano sweepstakes. I think the biggest threat at this point may be that Nationals, but it's looking good for Cano returning.

Fans we can't complain about the lack of depth in the farm system, then at the same time want the organization to sign Mcann & Beltran or Choo. Signing just one of them will make us lose our 2014 1st round draft pick, signing 2 of those 3 free agents will make us lose our 2014 first round & 2nd draft picks.

We can still field a playoff team, and stockpile our draft picks if we do the following:

A. Give Qualifying offers to Curtis Granderson & Hiroki Kuroda
    - Hope Granderson rejects his offer

- Hope Kuroda accepts his offer

B. Re-sign 2b Robinson Cano

- He's good at this baseball thing

C. Win the Bidding on Japanese Pitcher Masahiro Tanaka

D. Sign RHP Matt Garza 5yr/80M deal
    - Solid dependable No 3 starter
    - Only 30 yrs old and has experience in The AL east
    - does not cost a draft pick

E. Sign Dan Haren to a 1yr/11 Million Deal
    - will not cost a draft pick
    - innnings eater
    - had a good end to his season

D. Sign C John Buck to a 2 yr/10M deal
    - better defensively than Mcann, and in our stadium he'll hit 25 hrs
    -short term deal gives time for catchers like Murphy & Sanchez to develop

F. Sign DH/OF/1B Mike Morse
    - provides pop off the bench

G. Sign 1B/3B/2B/LF Mark Reynolds
    - provides pop off the bench
    - provides adequate 3b insurance in case Alex Rodriguez is suspended/hurt

that leaves us with a rotation of

1. CC Sabathia
    2. Kuroda
    3. Garza
    4. Haren
    5. Pineda or Nova
    --some one will get hurt during the season so we will have good depth in that instance

Bullpen of
    CL robertson
    SU Clairborne
    SU Kelley
    LOOGY Logan
    Loogy Cabral
    Middle Relief David Phepls or Dellin Betances
    Long Man Adam Warren

Line-up

1. CF Gardner
    2. SS Derek Jeter
    3. 2b Robinson Cano
    4. 3B. Alex Rodriguez
    5. 1B Mark Texiera
    6. LF Soriano
    7. C John Buck
    8. DH Mike Morse
    9. RF Ichiro Suzuki

bench: 2b/3b/ss/OF Eduardo Nunez
    C Austin Romine
    3B/OF/1B Mark Reynolds
    Hit 'em with Da Finesse!

Don't miss Mujica.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post

Shin-Soo Choo 4/$63
    Brian McCann 5/$75
    Robinson Cano 8/$190
    Suk-Min Yoon 3/$33

1 year deals for
    Mark Reynolds
    Brendan Ryan

I would definitely aim for Choo and Tanaka. That would be pretty tits. I don't think Choo is on their radar at all.

NYYF Cy Young

[QUOTE=PaidYoung;7798090]
    D. Sign RHP Matt Garza 5yr/80M deal
    - Solid dependable No 3 starter
    - Only 30 yrs old and has experience in The AL east
    - does not cost a draft pick

You don't pay a number 3 starter 16 mil per year
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

I would definitely aim for Choo and Tanaka. That would be pretty tits. I don't think Choo is on their radar at all.
    Definitely not on their radar. They have 3 OF's under contract (Gardner, Ichiro, Soriano..Wells if you wanna get technical) and they may have another if Granderson accepts the QO.

Thread Information