+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 168 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 104 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 4198
  1. #76
    NYYF Triple Crown

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Works for me, but wouldn't Reynolds cost more? Saving a few million here and there is probably what it's going to require to get under 189, and I hope they do that so we don't have to ever hear about it again.
    He was on a $6M salary this year I think. Not sure what it would take to sign him for 2014, but I can't imagine it would break the bank. Then again, they're going to have to pony up a little bit anyway to get a competent third baseman that can actually contribute something to this lineup. Otherwise, we'll just end up with Nunez.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  2. #77
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    No crystal ball needed. Second half of 2012 was absolute crap for Hamilton.
    Baseball is played in full seasons. Basing decisions on one half of a season isn't wise.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

  3. #78
    NYYF Cy Young

    Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Baseball is played in full seasons. Basing decisions on one half of a season isn't wise.
    Unless your a pitcher who consistently can't last a full season . . .

  4. #79
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    How were they operating last offseason? Did they think they put together a World Championship team?
    Probably. I don't think they accounted for not getting full seasons of Teixiera/Granderson/Cervelli, some type of season out of Jeter, and the fall off of a cliff from CC.



    It is well published that Kuroda would not move on his NTC. What would make you think he would next year. Plus, I assume we would be offering a one year deal. (with the Yanks, you never know) So the team sucks, but Kuroda is good. What are they getting back for a few month rental?
    We don't know all the facts to that. The Yankees were in WC contention all year, hard to believe they were trying to sell Kuroda in the first place. And, then there is an assumption that there would be one in the next contract.

    What would get back? Look at the Garza, Norris, Feldman deals. Maybe not quite as much, but even getting half those hauls would be helpful.


    So far Kuroda has shown that he does not have the stamina to pitch a full season. I don't think that improves with age. His only direction is decline. Let's say they try to patch and spackle and hang around next year...(again, I think big mistake, build a long term strategy, and begin executing now)

    Is Kuroda your guy in September when they would be battling to qualify?
    That's not entirely correct. The only trend that might support your theory is his September ERA over the past 2 years. And if that's the case you can lighten his workload during that time. There isn't one peripheral that supports any decline in his performance over the past 4 years.

    Is he my guy in September? So many variables to determine that, I definitely couldn't tell you. I would say that I would want to be in position to qualify in September, and that he is a pitcher who could put us in that position.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

  5. #80
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Unless your a pitcher who consistently can't last a full season . . .
    Maybe that's why Hamilton failed in Los Angeles. They should have put him in the rotation.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

  6. #81
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Baseball is played in full seasons. Basing decisions on one half of a season isn't wise.
    TBF, he was trending in the wrong direction. Definitely didn't expect him to suck this bad, but the contract was kinda bad from the start.

  7. #82
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    TBF, he was trending in the wrong direction. Definitely didn't expect him to suck this bad, but the contract was kinda bad from the start.
    The original point was that Texas might "make a splash" due to losing the play-in game and sign Cano, although it goes against their general MO.

    I'm saying if that was true, they probably would have went after Hamilton the year before when they lost the WC play-in game.

    FWIW- The alarming spike in Ks was really the only bad trend he had, but considering the age, injuries, and potential off-the-field issues, yeah it was a bad contract from the start for the Angels.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

  8. #83
    dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/9/1...agency-dodgers

    anyone think this guy would be a good idea? he's still expected to go to the dodgers, and projected as a second baseman, but he's still out there and generally viewed as a middle-infielder.

    cano replacement? or SS alongside cano?
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

  9. #84
    NYYF Legend

    flymick24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    What's it to you?

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    depends on whether or not the yankees plan on spending any money this winter

    my bet is no and they'll go with nunez at short
    help feed the hungry:

    www.thehungersite.com

  10. #85
    I.P. Standing Krall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    In the middle of New York

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    depends on whether or not the yankees plan on spending any money this winter

    my bet is no and they'll go with nunez at short
    Wow just like that we turned into the Mets

  11. #86
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    The original point was that Texas might "make a splash" due to losing the play-in game and sign Cano, although it goes against their general MO.

    I'm saying if that was true, they probably would have went after Hamilton the year before when they lost the WC play-in game.

    FWIW- The alarming spike in Ks was really the only bad trend he had, but considering the age, injuries, and potential off-the-field issues, yeah it was a bad contract from the start for the Angels.
    It was a pretty big one. There were numerous charts and the like showing how his plate discipline just went poof.

  12. #87

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    It was a pretty big one. There were numerous charts and the like showing how his plate discipline just went poof.
    Yeah. People figured out he'd chase outside pitches. And he still does.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  13. #88
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dont_ya_know24 View Post
    http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/9/1...agency-dodgers

    anyone think this guy would be a good idea? he's still expected to go to the dodgers, and projected as a second baseman, but he's still out there and generally viewed as a middle-infielder.

    cano replacement? or SS alongside cano?
    He would be a great target. That said, if he does not go to Dodger, there is a chance that Dodgers jump in on Robbie.....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  14. #89

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Yanks should go hard after Tanaka. 25 years old, unbelievable numbers in Japan. Could be a quick and easy way to improve the rotation without giving up draft picks or prospects. Obviously risk involved, but it's worth the risk.

  15. #90
    NYYF Triple Crown

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by surge511 View Post
    Yanks should go hard after Tanaka. 25 years old, unbelievable numbers in Japan. Could be a quick and easy way to improve the rotation without giving up draft picks or prospects. Obviously risk involved, but it's worth the risk.
    Neither Cashman nor Hal seem to have much of an appetite for risk these days. Unfortunately, I expect them to pass on this guy too.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  16. #91
    Richmond Virginians
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Richmond Va

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Neither Cashman nor Hal seem to have much of an appetite for risk these days. Unfortunately, I expect them to pass on this guy too.
    Of course he doesn't. He is young and good. We only go for has beens.

  17. #92
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by surge511 View Post
    Yanks should go hard after Tanaka. 25 years old, unbelievable numbers in Japan. Could be a quick and easy way to improve the rotation without giving up draft picks or prospects. Obviously risk involved, but it's worth the risk.

    They've been embarrassed enough by other teams landing good players from Japan lately. I would imagine that Tanaka is item #1 for this winter.

    CC (please be great again)
    Tanaka
    Nova
    Pineda
    etc
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

  18. #93

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    They've been embarrassed enough by other teams landing good players from Japan lately. I would imagine that Tanaka is item #1 for this winter.

    CC (please be great again)
    Tanaka
    Nova
    Pineda
    etc
    Agreed. Hope etc would be Banuelos somehow.

  19. #94
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Agreed. Hope etc would be Banuelos somehow.
    Me, too. That rotation, if it lives up to its potential, would be world (series) class.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

  20. #95
    The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hampton Beach, NH

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Neither Cashman nor Hal seem to have much of an appetite for risk these days. Unfortunately, I expect them to pass on this guy too.
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. They were hesitant to aggressively bid on Darvish, who by all accounts has a much better repertoire than Tanaka, so I'm not sure why they would suddenly go all in for this guy.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  21. #96

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. They were hesitant to aggressively bid on Darvish, who by all accounts has a much better repertoire than Tanaka, so I'm not sure why they would suddenly go all in for this guy.
    Maybe cause the only people on contract for next in our rotation is CC?

  22. #97
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. They were hesitant to aggressively bid on Darvish, who by all accounts has a much better repertoire than Tanaka, so I'm not sure why they would suddenly go all in for this guy.
    Well, they had money in Pettitte and Kuroda. As well as Rivera, Granderson, etc when Darvish was available. Things are a bit different this offseason.

  23. #98

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Well, they had money in Pettitte and Kuroda. As well as Rivera, Granderson, etc when Darvish was available. Things are a bit different this offseason.
    Things are quite different for the Yankees this offseason and without a doubt the seriousness of their current situation has probably smacked them upside their collective heads. I think that's a good thing as it forces them to reevaluate their organization and perhaps make the necessary changes to get back into the playoff hunt with a different cast.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

  24. #99
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    The Yankees should start wheeling and dealing right now. Let's get this party started. We need a winning team for next year so people will complain about different things about the Yankees.
    Pardon, for us.

  25. #100
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2013/14 New York Yankee Off-Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    The Yankees should start wheeling and dealing right now. Let's get this party started. We need a winning team for next year so people will complain about different things about the Yankees.
    From August 23,1998 to August 26 1998 the Yankees failed to win a game. Losers of 4 straight and this Forum went wild. Calling for a new manager and to trade away the entire team. It was chaos around here.
    Pardon, for us.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts