+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 75 FirstFirst ... 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 years/305M

Re: 10 years/305M

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    And where are these ratings?
    Just taking the temperature of various boards/blogs and callers over the past few months.

Addicted Member

I was only reporting the Bleachers Report on FA and Cano was number one as to being overpaid in this FA. On Rotoworld, Cashman is looking at Omar Infante and Detroit is are not interested. I know he no Cano but he is good. Brian should put a time for his offer of the reported 161M/7yrs so we don't get stuck with no second baseman, like Drew. I still feel 161M/7yrs is a lot.

I still feel pitching is number one not Cano.

NYYF Legend

I think that the Yanks get Cano done, but kudos to Cashman for one - examining alternatives like Infante, and two - leaking it, lol. (can't hurt)

Worst case would be losing Cano, and having NO fallback. At least they have a plan.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

This is going to be a long haul with Jay-Z trying to make a name for himself in this new arena. I fear that "Who's on second?" as well as "Who's on third?" are going to be unanswered questions for far too long this offseason.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...pSVDkAnTrQtDMD
    Though it had been assumed by many/most/all that rapper and raconteur Jay Z would be just a figurehead, word is that he'll be in the negotiating trenches when free agent Robinson Cano and the New York Yankees talk contract this week. And that word comes from Brodie Van Wagenen of the Creative Artists Agency, who is Cano's point man during talks with the Bronx Bombers. Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger passes along that Jay Z's Roc Nation, which Cano hired as a partner with CAA after he fired Scott Boras in April, won't just be sitting on the sidelines and cheering. Or rapping, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    This is going to be a long haul with Jay-Z trying to make a name for himself in this new arena. I fear that "Who's on second?" as well as "Who's on third?" are going to be unanswered questions for far too long this offseason.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...pSVDkAnTrQtDMD
    ]
    Still gonna take serious interest from teams, and that's not gonna happen at those prices
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

He has no other serious bidders at the moment. One party will have to budge and it will be Cano's camp unless some team pops out of nowhere with an obscene offer just like the Tigers did with Fielder a couple of years ago.

I think the Yankees win out here and he signs for close to the leaked 7/180 proposal
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

Richmond Virginians

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    If the Mets want to give him $310 million they can have him. 10 years with the Mets will assure him of his place in the Hall of Mediocrity.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Not sure why there is a big deal being made about what he is asking for. I want to be paid $30 million a year and not work, does that mean I'm going to get it? Robinson Cano can ask for $500 million over 5 years, doesn't mean he is going to get it.
    Life is good!

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Seems like a publicity stunt/desperation move from Cano since no other teams seem to want him he has to try and make a market out of thin air. I mean if Jay-z called and said he's going to take me out to dinner of course I say yes. That's pretty much what happened here. He took Wilpon, Alderson & Ricci out to dinner so the media would pick up on it.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Seems like a publicity stunt/desperation move from Cano since no other teams seem to want him he has to try and make a market out of thin air. I mean if Jay-z called and said he's going to take me out to dinner of course I say yes. That's pretty much what happened here. He took Wilpon, Alderson & Ricci out to dinner so the media would pick up on it.
    I agree with you to some degree -- it's a stunt to drive up his price. Unfortunately for Cano, the Boss isn't running the team anymore, and it's not likely going to move the needle. I wouldn't guess that "no other teams seem to want him" -- but I do suspect he wants to stay in NY and his team is used to the old Yankees caving for their superstars. I don't see that happening with Hal and Cashman running the show, and I don't expect him to get much more than what is already on the table.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...apart-in-talks

This guy is beyond delusional if he thinks he is worth anywhere near $310 million/10 years. Hold firm and let him see what other teams offer. I guarantee no one else will offer anywhere near that $310 million. Everyone knows that he doesn't want to leave New York, so if he gets a higher offer from another team, he's going to give the Yankees a chance to match it. The Yankees shouldn't go a cent over their $160 million/7 year limit until they see that another team is willing to offer more than that. A-Rod's $300 million dollar contract at age 32 has turned out to be awful. Albert Pujols's $254 million dollar contract at age 31 has looked bad two years in. So you'd have to be out of your mind to offer a 31 year old Cano anywhere near that. At least A-Rod and Pujols were two historically elite hitters with MVPs when they signed those contracts. Cano never has been and never will be a historically elite hitter who wins an MVP.

Let's hope that the Yankees actually have a spine for once in contract negotiations and don't foolishly bid against themselves. So far so good.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

While the $300M+ is too absurd to imagine anyone biting, by holding firm he'll probably guarantee himself $200M+ anyway. That is also a ridiculous number, but after staring at the other number long enough, this will look much more reasonable after a period of time. He'll probably drag this out until January or even February, but some team (probably ours) will ultimately cave and sign him up for that number and feel good about it because it's not $300M.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaYankFan View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...apart-in-talks

This guy is beyond delusional if he thinks he is worth anywhere near $310 million/10 years. Hold firm and let him see what other teams offer. I guarantee no one else will offer anywhere near that $310 million. Everyone knows that he doesn't want to leave New York, so if he gets a higher offer from another team, he's going to give the Yankees a chance to match it. The Yankees shouldn't go a cent over their $160 million/7 year limit until they see that another team is willing to offer more than that. A-Rod's $300 million dollar contract at age 32 has turned out to be awful. Albert Pujols's $254 million dollar contract at age 31 has looked bad two years in. So you'd have to be out of your mind to offer a 31 year old Cano anywhere near that. At least A-Rod and Pujols were two historically elite hitters with MVPs when they signed those contracts. Cano never has been and never will be a historically elite hitter who wins an MVP.

Let's hope that the Yankees actually have a spine for once in contract negotiations and don't foolishly bid against themselves. So far so good.
    Doesn't want to leave New York? Robbie will easily play in Pittsburgh or Minnesota if they are willing to give him 3 hundy mil. He's going to follow the money. He may even ultimately end up in San Diego with a 200M contract

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Doesn't want to leave New York? Robbie will easily play in Pittsburgh or Minnesota if they are willing to give him 3 hundy mil. He's going to follow the money. He may even ultimately end up in San Diego with a 200M contract
    Call me naive, but I think that if the money is close (in other words, $200 from NYY but $210 from team X), Robbie would choose staying.

Ahhh the obligatory "Mets are interested" story. A bit earlier than I thought.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    Ahhh the obligatory "Mets are interested" story. A bit earlier than I thought.
    It caused the Yankees to up their offer to 12/360

Addicted Member

I thought he was crazy when it was reported he wanted 10 years and $305 million. The Yankees made an initial offer of $168 million over 7 years which seemed fair. Then I read where he is holding fast in his quest for the 10/$305 deal.

Apparently there has been little interest from other teams. I think the Mets feigned interest is a ploy by Jay Z to get a response out of the Yankees front office. I love the fact that the NY Post reported it as a "secret" meeting. Obviously it was meant to be made public.

The Yankees should leave their offer on the table and at some point tell him it's time to take it or leave it. The team is already being held hostage by the Rodriguez case and they need to move beyond the Cano era if they can't come to terms and go in another direction. I think the team would survive without him.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post

I meant that he doesn't want to leave New York if everything else is equal. Of course he will leave if someone else is offering a lot more money. My point is that I think he'll give the Yankees a chance to match any offer that is above theirs. Therefore, the Yanks shouldn't foolishly bid against themselves and should hold firm for now.

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    I thought he was crazy when it was reported he wanted 10 years and $305 million. The Yankees made an initial offer of $168 million over 7 years which seemed fair. Then I read where he is holding fast in his quest for the 10/$305 deal.

Apparently there has been little interest from other teams. I think the Mets feigned interest is a ploy by Jay Z to get a response out of the Yankees front office. I love the fact that the NY Post reported it as a "secret" meeting. Obviously it was meant to be made public.

The Yankees should leave their offer on the table and at some point tell him it's time to take it or leave it. The team is already being held hostage by the Rodriguez case and they need to move beyond the Cano era if they can't come to terms and go in another direction. I think the team would survive without him.
    They'd survive, they just wouldn't be competitive over the next couple of years, at least.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    They'd survive, they just wouldn't be competitive over the next couple of years, at least.

I don't think that signing or not signing Cano is the one thing that makes or breaks them being competitive over the next several years.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I'm seeing Randy Levine and Hal getting into a bidding war while Robbie sits there grinning.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    It must sadden Jay-Z that Pedroia is on the Red Sox
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I don't think that signing or not signing Cano is the one thing that makes or breaks them being competitive over the next several years.
    It absolutely does. I'm not sure why you think removing the best hitter -- an elite one for that matter -- in an aging lineup wouldn't outright kill them.

MO IS THE MAN !!! YanksFanTillDeath's Avatar

so it begins...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...00-million-him

We want Robbie back; we think Robbie is terrific. But we have no interest in doing any 10-year deals and no interest in paying $300 million to any player. Until he gets a little more realistic, we have nothing to talk about.

-- Randy Levine

Funky Call Mussina

Thread Information