+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Does Joe let Mo finally play CF?

From LoHud (http://yankees.lhblogs.com/)

Rivera, though, wasn’t exactly laughing about the idea.

“If my body permit it,” he said. “One thing I will tell you, if I can do it, I will do it. If I cannot do it, I will not be making a fool of myself there. I’m a professional, and this is not a joke for me. This is serious. This is business. I respect the game, and with that, I leave it like that. If I’m OK, if I can do it, I will do it. If not, it’s fine.”

Rivera seems perfectly serious about his desire to play center field — despite last year’s injury, he has a terrific reputation for shagging fly balls pregame, and his athleticism is well known — but he wants to do it because he thinks he can do it well, not necessarily as a bucket list item.

“It’s not a game for me, guys,” he said. “I don’t know how you guys are taking it, but this is not a game for me. It’s something that I respect. I put the request (to play an inning in center field) way back, a long time ago, and now my knees are not the same. We’ll see what happens.”
    Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15 View Post
    From LoHud (http://yankees.lhblogs.com/)

Heidi
    I am going to miss him a great deal. What a gentleman.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15 View Post
    Sounds like he's begging off now that it is apparent it could happen. I would like to see it since I'm going to be in Houston for the game on Sunday. It will be an interesting day. The Astros are going to have a pre-game ceremony for Mo. Look for me on TV - I'll be in the Crawford Boxes (left field) wearing my road gray Yankees #42 jersey.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Cy Young

Folks are saying he should not pitch in Houston . . that this should be his last game. The way tonight ended I agree. OK for CF, but that's it.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Folks are saying he should not pitch in Houston . . that this should be his last game. The way tonight ended I agree. OK for CF, but that's it.

Thoughts?
    There wouldn't be anything wrong with that, especially if none of the games in Houston get to a save situation. Selfishly, however, I'd like to see him in the game on Sunday in some capacity as I'm going to be there.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Thoughts?
    I think if he has a shot to save Pettitte's last game, he should do it
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Agreed

NYYF MVP

Would be so perfect!!! Andy will also get to bat, no? May be the only realistic shot of getting a run (or more )
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

NYYF Cy Young

As long as he doesn't give up any runs . . he just moved to the lowest ERA in history.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

I think Mo should play CF all three games, all nine innings of each game this weekend. Make him earn his dough for a change.
    Complaining is a choice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    Would be so perfect!!! Andy will also get to bat, no? May be the only realistic shot of getting a run (or more )
    It's not an interleague game anymore. Houston's in the AL now..

NYYF Legend

Thoughts?
    If there is a save situation, he should pitch. I would love to see him save all three games!! I can't believe he is done.....just sinking in last night.....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

given that send off last night part of me agrees with Jack Curry, he shouldnt pitch the last 3 games, but I want to see him just go out there gas his arm and pitch 3 innings.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    given that send off last night part of me agrees with Jack Curry, he shouldnt pitch the last 3 games, but I want to see him just go out there gas his arm and pitch 3 innings.
    Hate to see Mo give up a run and not have the lowest ERA in history. Unless it's to save Andy"s game I hope Mo does not pitch in Houston.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Yea if Mo asks to he'll get to do it.
    That's obviously not true because Mariano has been asking Girardi every year and he never lets him. This weekend will probably be different though

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I think the idea is silly, personally...
    Who are you to tell Mariano Rivera that his last wish in a Yankees uniform is silly

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Hate to see Mo give up a run and not have the lowest ERA in history. Unless it's to save Andy"s game I hope Mo does not pitch in Houston.
    If he pitches a perfect 1/3 inning his career WHIP will be 1.000 - never done before.

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    If he pitches a perfect 1/3 inning his career WHIP will be 1.000 - never done before.
    two guys have career WHIPs below 1.000

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...p_career.shtml

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    The human hairpin has done it as a starter (only one), and I believe 2 relievers with over 1000 innings have done it. Mariano would be the third.

He needs 2 batters out and nothing else

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    two guys have career WHIPs below 1.000

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...p_career.shtml
    OK first pitcher in the live ball era. Those guys that did it stopped pitching in 1917.

If he also avoids giving up two or more hits over the weekend, he'll finish with fewer than 1000 hits allowed (he's currently at 998 in 1283.2 IP).

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    If he also avoids giving up two or more hits over the weekend, he'll finish with fewer than 1000 hits allowed (he's currently at 998 in 1283.2 IP).
    Which if he gives up two hits would all but end his quest for the sub-1.000 WHIP

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Which if he gives up two hits would all but end his quest for the sub-1.000 WHIP
    He'd have to pitch at least 2.1 innings in the final two games to overcome two hits allowed. I don't think we'll see any more four out saves so 2.1 innings is probably out of the question since he didn't pitch on Friday. One thing that would be neat would be for him to come into the game Sunday, get two outs and then leave. That would put his WHIP at less than 1.000 for his career.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    He'd have to pitch at least 2.1 innings in the final two games to overcome two hits allowed. I don't think we'll see any more four out saves so 2.1 innings is probably out of the question since he didn't pitch on Friday. One thing that would be neat would be for him to come into the game Sunday, get two outs and then leave. That would put his WHIP at less than 1.000 for his career.

I really think Mo will pitch tonight but only if its a "save situation" for Pettitte. If not I think Mo would prefer to have had his last appearance on the mound to be in the last home game in the Bronx.
    CF of course is still a possibility.

I really think Mo will pitch tonight but only if its a "save situation" for Pettitte.
    You're probably right about that and if it happens, it would be a great way for both of them to go out.

NYYF Cy Young

I really think Mo will pitch tonight but only if its a "save situation" for Pettitte. If not I think Mo would prefer to have had his last appearance on the mound to be in the last home game in the Bronx.
    CF of course is still a possibility.
    Mo has issued a statement that he will not pitch anymore (even if it would be a save for Andy), and he also said he's been pitching hurt for about a month. So that is it.

Thread Information