+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Any interest in signing Brian McCann?

Free agent catcher in 2014. I like the idea. Would he sign for 3 years for 36 -39 million?

Re: Any interest in signing Brian McCann?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifelong Fan View Post
    Free agent catcher in 2014. I like the idea. Would he sign for 3 years for 36 -39 million?
    He is very good and will generate a lot of interest. He is making $12mil now before free agency. Why would he sign for the same amount for only 3 years? He is only 29. Yanks should be one of the suitors.

NYYF Legend

I'd prefer they roll with some combo of Romine/Murphy/Sanchez at C for next year and see if they can be C of the future.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Yes (I'm very interested), but considering they were content to roll with Stewvelli this season I'm not inclined to think they are going to be in on McCann. I hope I'm wrong.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'd prefer they roll with some combo of Romine/Murphy/Sanchez at C for next year and see if they can be C of the future.
    Fine idea, except we'll need a catcher of the present in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    He is very good and will generate a lot of interest. He is making $12mil now before free agency. Why would he sign for the same amount for only 3 years? He is only 29. Yanks should be one of the suitors.
    Agreed. Catchers that can hit are in short supply. He'll get more than that and the Yankees should be exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I think they should take a look at him and see what the market is driving for his services either way. If they are insistent on lowering payroll and making very tough decisions, I'd agree with your statement as if they're willing to roll the dice on not having ML caliber players it's best to do it where there's some semblance of minor league talent. However, if either the market is buy low (doubt it) or they are willing to spend to win, I'd think he'd be a great consideration for this club to bridge to Murphy and/or Sanchez. He murders RHP, so maybe he could don a 1B glove from time to time to rest Teixeira against tough RHP as well? If Napoli can do it...

NYYF Legend

I'd be totally interested as McCann can be an eventual bridge to Sanchez as the starting catcher. I'd go for a 3 year deal with an option for a 4th.

But the reality is the Yankees will give Romine more starts next season, trade Murphy and ease in Sanchez so when Romine gains value trade him and make Sanchez the starter. Besides I'm pretty sure some other team will offer McCann a 5 year deal and he'll take it.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Yes, elite hitting catchers are in rare supply. And the guys we have in the minor leagues while potentially decent catchers have minor league numbers that pale in comparison to what McCann has done in the majors consistently. And in terms of improving the lineup what player available improves this lineup more than McCann when you consider that he's replacing guys that combined have an OPS+ that is easily less than half McCann's.

I'll be surprised if the Yankees sign him though. With the 189M looming they'll only spend big on Cano. I think Cano would have to sign elsewhere. I think the Yankees may go after a guy like Ruiz instead. He'll be cheaper and will come on a short term deal.

They'll settle to keep the draft pick which may or may not help them in 2019.

Addicted Member

This is what will happen. The Yanks will decide that a platoon of Romine, Cerv and eventually Murphy is fine and then Sanchez will come along. Sanchez will come along and be terrible at the catcher position and they'll be at square one.

NYYF Legend

Signing McCann would be nice, but the Yanks need so many other positions to fill it may not be realistic to get just him for what he is worth and not fill other needs. I wouldn't like to be in Cashman's shoes......where do you start?

NYYF Legend

I think we absolutely sign McCann....right after he signs a five year deal with someone else this offseason. McCann is a stud, but he is too young to be a Bomber.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

No. He'll be asking for at-least 5 years and will be 30 going into next year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by oneill96 View Post
    This is what will happen. The Yanks will decide that a platoon of Romine, Cerv and eventually Murphy is fine and then Sanchez will come along. Sanchez will come along and be terrible at the catcher position and they'll be at square one.
    and then they'll overpay for a trade of a declining yadier molina in a few years
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    and then they'll overpay for a trade of a declining yadier molina in a few years

Of ye of little faith. A bit cynical, aren't you?

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    Signing McCann would be nice, but the Yanks need so many other positions to fill it may not be realistic to get just him for what he is worth and not fill other needs. I wouldn't like to be in Cashman's shoes......where do you start?

I think getting a catcher like McCann would be a great start. It seems that we have several pitchers that have regressed and not necessarily because of lack of stuff. They get behind in the count and then always throw a predictable pitch. I think that a quality catcher that can call a better game could help several of these guys with their approach and confidence. It also would help to have a catcher that could block everything and not have so many miscommunication events that we seem to have. His bat would also be a huge plus.

Can Brian McCann stay healthy?
    It looks as if he's been relatively healthy for his career. This year, he spent some time on the DL. Would that be an indication of his breaking down?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

He had shoulder surgery this past offseason and missed a bit of the beginning of this year... He's been solid since returning
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Then I'd have to take a chance on him.
    See if they can get him to agree on a 3 year deal with a option for a 4th.
    The catching this year has been a full sized horror show.
    Get Stewart out of here. He's so bad.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Just what we need. Another high priced, high mileage, injury prone player

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

He's only 29. Shouldn't have too much mileage on him yet.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Just what we need. Another high priced, high mileage, injury prone player
    Unless you plan on building from within (which isn't an option with this team considering how far some of the impact* guys are) they sorta do need high priced and high mileage guys in order to compete.

The other option is a full on rebuild and I'd put my money on Joba learning how to pitch before that happens.

*I don't necessarily consider guys like Sanchez and Williams impact players. They're good prospects, but they have some kinks to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Unless you plan on building from within (which isn't an option with this team considering how far some of the impact* guys are) they sorta do need high priced and high mileage guys in order to compete.

The other option is a full on rebuild and I'd put my money on Joba learning how to pitch before that happens.

*I don't necessarily consider guys like Sanchez and Williams impact players. They're good prospects, but they have some kinks to work out.
    This approach is why we are where we are at now. We can keep doing it and hope one of these players stays healthy or good for the length of the contract or we can take the time and do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    This approach is why we are where we are at now. We can keep doing it and hope one of these players stays healthy or good for the length of the contract or we can take the time and do it right.
    I don't see why those are mutually exclusive. The Yankees can sign players so that they can be not-terrible for the next few years, and they can also build a better farm and development system.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I might have interest in McCann if we can get him to a shorter term deal. I would be reluctant to give any free agent more than three years. We don't need any more deals that after a year or two are albatrosses.

Thread Information