+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 143 FirstFirst ... 35 75 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 95 135 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 3570

Thread: Masahiro Tanaka

Re: Masahiro Tanaka

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    No way you're in the minority. When Jimmy Key was at his best he could spot the ball within a half inch and was unhittable with just average stuff. It's all about location and changing speeds, things that Tanaka can supposedly do well.
    Yea if you watch videos of him pitching it looks like he hits spots without moving the glove, but his fastball does look a little flat which can be a huge problem.

He doesn't have to be another Darvish like alot of people think.. If he's a 25 year old version of Hiroki Kuroda. sign me the hell up anyday.

That's a big if.

And even Kuroda himself obviously didn't get 20m AAV.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    That's a big if.

What makes Kuroda so good is he can PITCH.. which is what all scouts claim Tanaka can do. I'll take a guy who can pitch over a guy with dominant stuff, because you can lose your stuff for various reasons at any time.. I agree about the 20M, but thats the nature of FA and bein the top guy on the market.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    That's a big if.

Clearly it's a big if. Of course, Tanaka benefits from his age and the fact that there is a lot more comfort with Japanese pitchers at this point. This needs to be considered from a value perspective, not against historical precedents
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Tanaka benefits from his age and the fact that there is a lot more comfort with Japanese pitchers at this point. This needs to be considered from a value perspective, not against historical precedents
    Because of the above thinking, if the Yanks really want to make sure Tanaka chooses them over any other team, I think the following contract proposal would do the job:

10yrs/$200M/$18M AAV for 2014-2019,$23M AAV for 2020-2023/player opt out clause after season 6,7,8 & 9/$10M team buyout clause for years 6,7,8 & 9.

My thinking is both the player and the club are protected after the first six years - each year after that, if either decide they don't want to go any further, they have options. If Tanaka wants free agency, he can have it. If the Yanks want to be "let off the hook", it'll cost them $10M. If both sides are happy, a $200M contract at age 25 is a good business deal for both sides.

Am I missing anything?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

85 pages. I remember earlier in this thread, we were debating whether Tanaka's contract would exceed $100 million. Now there's talk of $200 million.

MO IS THE MAN !!! YanksFanTillDeath's Avatar

He wanted $17M if I remember correctly, so heck lets give him more

Funky Call Mussina

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by YanksFanTillDeath View Post
    He wanted $17M if I remember correctly, so heck lets give him more

Are you being sarcastic?

My proposal of $18M AAV is based exactly on this premise, to ensure the Yanks sign Tanaka. After all, isn't being "wild and crazy" (according to jeterrules) what it's going to take to sign him? Isn't someone going to have to overpay? Don't the Yankees have a history of overpaying and in fact are even expected to? Don't most agree that if ever there was a good scenario in which overpayment should be applauded, this is it?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Well i have no idea who the guy on ESPN is who said the Yankees will be all in on Tanaka but Mike Francesa just gave a good opinion on it. While he said he sees it as a coin toss between Seattle and NY he did bring up the things i have said. He also just added the Wife would rather stay on the west coast reason also.

#1 Seattle is the 1 team who could go crazy and silly and make a offer so big the other teams say good luck.

#2 Japan players like Seattle and it is a very easy flight from there to his home.

#3 But Mike did also say nobody knows what Tanaka wants. Weather it is all about the money or location. So we have had like 5 teams being all in or not outbid for him so it kinda negates each other.

1 team in my book is going to be silly come the last day. It is sad but nobody really sees him signing before the last day. It makes no sense for him to. When it gets down to the last day to bid some team IMO is going to flinch.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    Well i have no idea who the guy on ESPN is who said the Yankees will be all in on Tanaka but Mike Francesa just gave a good opinion on it. While he said he sees it as a coin toss between Seattle and NY he did bring up the things i have said. He also just added the Wife would rather stay on the west coast reason also.

#1 Seattle is the 1 team who could go crazy and silly and make a offer so big the other teams say good luck.

#2 Japan players like Seattle and it is a very easy flight from there to his home.

#3 But Mike did also say nobody knows what Tanaka wants. Weather it is all about the money or location. So we have had like 5 teams being all in or not outbid for him so it kinda negates each other.

1 team in my book is going to be silly come the last day. It is sad but nobody really sees him signing before the last day. It makes no sense for him to. When it gets down to the last day to bid some team IMO is going to flinch.
    If you are thinking Mike Francesa is an authority on this you are hitching your horses to the wrong wagon....

Also how often do you think that Japanese players go home during the season? And even if it's an easy flight to home, during the season it's a hard to the places you play your games....
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post

Why is Seattle the 1 team who would "go crazy and silly"? Because they did for Cano? The Yankees did for Ellsbury. The Red Sox did for Carl Crawford. The Marlins did for Jose Reyes. The Phillies did for Cliff Lee. The Tigers did for Prince Fielder. The Angels did for Pujols. The Nationals did for Werth. The Rangers did for A-Rod. Making a massive signing doesn't suddenly mean that you're now the only team that's going to offer giant contracts. There are relatively few teams that don't ever give out giant deals.

(also, it's not like there have been a shortage of Yankee players from Japan)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    Ok,so his wife prefers the west coast. So did CC's wife and he signed in NY. On Yankees Hot Stove, it was mentioned that it could just be a negotiating ploy. Let's say it is not. What additional perks could the Yanks offer to counteract the west coast? And please, let's not come up wise-ass stuff here. This is a serious question...
    If Tanaka prefers the west coast, and the Dodgers want him, Yanks are screwed. The Dodgers, in the last few years with Walter at the top - have gotten every player that they went after. I hope that they are not all in.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Ten days at most until this saga is over.
    Let the kids play.

Who remembers the CC saga with the West Coast garbage and people on this board freaking out when he hadn't signed with us after his meeting with Cashman?

I remember a certain poster that used to be round these parts saying "If he hasn't signed already he's definitely signing with LA."

People were saying "Pull the offer!" "Idiot Cashman is getting used for leverage!"

And then he signed here and said he had never given consideration to the California team.

NYYF Legend

Again, my stance was "If the Dodgers want him".

Anyhow, when Sabathia signed the Dodgers had different ownership, apples and oranges.

Again, they have not lost out on a single player that they have wanted, you have to respect them as a suitor. I am hoping that they are not all in on Tanaka.

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    If Tanaka prefers the west coast, and the Dodgers want him, Yanks are screwed. The Dodgers, in the last few years with Walter at the top - have gotten every player that they went after. I hope that they are not all in.
    The Yankees haven't been outbid on anyone other than Cano, which was about age rather than dollars. The only other premier player they lost out on was Cliff Lee, and they gave him the bigger offer. He just chose Philly.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Again, my stance was "If the Dodgers want him".

Anyhow, when Sabathia signed the Dodgers had different ownership, apples and oranges.

Again, they have not lost out on a single player that they have wanted, you have to respect them as a suitor. I am hoping that they are not all in on Tanaka.
    While I respect the Dodgers chances (if they actually want to be competitive here, which remains to be seen) I can't think of a long list of highly sought after FAs they've acquired in the past couple years. Am I missing something?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

While I respect the Dodgers chances (if they actually want to be competitive here, which remains to be seen) I can't think of a long list of highly sought after FAs they've acquired in the past couple years. Am I missing something?
    Here's the list:

Greinke

Just Greinke. Hanley, Crawford, Gonzalez, Beckett were all via trade. Kershaw, Kemp, Ethier all came through the system. Those are all of their high salary guys.

He very well could go to the Dodgers. I just don't think the Dodgers have any actual advantage. It's going to come down to who ends up giving him the better deal, but that wont be because the other one can't afford it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Ten days at most until this saga is over.
    Likes sand through the hourglass......
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Just Greinke. Hanley, Crawford, Gonzalez, Beckett were all via trade. Kershaw, Kemp, Ethier all came through the system. Those are all of their high salary guys.
    Dodgers signed Greinke. They extended Kemp while only a year from FA. They wanted AGon and got him, even though they had to take on $250M.

They do not and will not hesitate to spend. Clearly the Yanks are far more desperate, which helps.

I am just saying that IF Tanaka wants to be on the west coast, and IF the Dodgers want him badly, we could have a problem. Say it again....hoping Dodgers interest is limited.

You guys seem to be acting like the Yankees are a small market club compared to the dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Metroidman View Post
    You guys seem to be acting like the Yankees are a small market club compared to the dodgers.
    This.. Yankees only get outbid when they let someone go... If someone they wants goes somewhere else, its usually for different reasons other than $$

Thread Information