+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 143 FirstFirst ... 18 58 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 78 118 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 3570

Thread: Masahiro Tanaka

Re: Masahiro Tanaka

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    If the Mariners end up signing Tanaka they will really move up on my disliked team list considering in the last few seasons they have.

1-Backed out of the Cliff Lee deal.
    2-Traded us Pineda & Campos (Both needed surgery)
    3-Signed Cano.
    I don't think Campos had surgery, though he did have some elbow problems in 2012. I remember how excited everyone was about him (including me), some even predicting that he'd become the gem of the Montero/Pineda deal. But, like all Yankee farmhands, something went wrong and he's regressed. He once had a lively fastball, sitting around the mid 90's and topping out around 98-99. At the end of last season his fastball was straight and clocked at the 89-91 range, topping out at 92-93.

I'm still hoping that his arm strengthens and that he performs like he did in the past, but I'm not going to hold my breath. In the near future he probably has a better chance of going under the knife (TJ) than making any kind of impact in the bigs.

Isn't it curious, and you can go back to Randy Johnson, how pitchers that come to the Yanks always lose velocity when they get here?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    Isn't it curious, and you can go back to Randy Johnson, how pitchers that come to the Yanks always lose velocity when they get here?
    It's part of aging and the difficulties associated with sustaining high velocity and projecting pitchers.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/pitch...ecline-by-age/

Even youngest pitchers can lose 1mph or more. In fact, something funky happens for first year and second year types. Turns out some pitchers peak and break into majors (think Joba) when things are clicking but cannot sustain it.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/pitch...and-relievers/

Notice starting pitchers start to lose velocity right away at age 21. Relief pitchers delay that to 27 or 28.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/odds-...locity-by-age/

By the time pitchers get to 28 or 29, they basically have no chance of regaining velocity they've lost (read, Sabathia needs to learn to work with his stuff).

Nova can still hit mid 90's on his fastball, 95 for sure. I think 97 is his max, but I'm not sure.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I don't think Campos had surgery, though he did have some elbow problems in 2012. I remember how excited everyone was about him (including me), some even predicting that he'd become the gem of the Montero/Pineda deal. But, like all Yankee farmhands, something went wrong and he's regressed. He once had a lively fastball, sitting around the mid 90's and topping out around 98-99. At the end of last season his fastball was straight and clocked at the 89-91 range, topping out at 92-93.

I'm still hoping that his arm strengthens and that he performs like he did in the past, but I'm not going to hold my breath. In the near future he probably has a better chance of going under the knife (TJ) than making any kind of impact in the bigs.

I was wrong about Campos needing surgery but so far he has not lived up to expectations. Don't get me wrong. I hope Campos & Pineda both end up helping the Yankees. At the time I really wanted the Yankees to either keep Montero or trade him for an established pitcher like almost happened had the Cliff Lee deal happened. And had the Mariners not made such a huge offer to Cano maybe the Yankees could have still signed him for a reasonable amount.

I was wrong about Campos needing surgery but so far he has not lived up to expectations. Don't get me wrong. I hope Campos & Pineda both end up helping the Yankees. At the time I really wanted the Yankees to either keep Montero or trade him for an established pitcher like almost happened had the Cliff Lee deal happened. And had the Mariners not made such a huge offer to Cano maybe the Yankees could have still signed him for a reasonable amount.
    Neither has Montero.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Neither has Montero.
    Anyone feel like if we had kept Montero, he'd be a better hitter ?

He was killing the ball as a Yankee. Short porch was his friend. Looked like that following season when he was traded, he couldve hit 3 or 5 in the order for us. Then he went to Seattle and just completely fell off.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    Anyone feel like if we had kept Montero, he'd be a better hitter ?....
    No. I always thought he had holes in his swing that would be exploited in the majors. When the trade was made I suspected that the Yankees felt the same way. If he was really expected to be the second coming of Manny Ramirez I doubt that trade ever happens.
    Let the kids play.

Had basically same exact conversation with bmx.

Short answer is no. His numbers dropped every time he got promoted and his K/bb ratio actually got worse as he spent more time in AAA.

He's a natural hitter that never learned how to hit or adjust. Right handed Cano without the ability to cover pitches way out the zone.

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Had basically same exact conversation with bmx.

Short answer is no. His numbers dropped every time he got promoted and his K/bb ratio actually got worse as he spent more time in AAA.

He's a natural hitter that never learned how to hit or adjust. Right handed Cano without the ability to cover pitches way out the zone.
    His plate coverage was unbelievable, in his time with us anyway. Inside, away, low and away ... He looked like he had a real knack for putting bat on ball. Pitchers showed him some respect too, i remember he was " intentionally " walked a few times. Too bad. Feels like his projected success got to his head.

If scouts are telling you you're the best hitting prospect they've seen in the last xx years since your 16, You may get a little ahead of yourself.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Big part of me thinks he would have been better off going straight to MLB instead of breeding bad habits chewing up MiLB opposition.

His plate coverage was very good, well above average. But it's not Cano/Vlad type of "my strike zone is about a foot wider than everyone else's." The result was a worse than average O-swing%, worse than average O-contact%, worse than average Swinging Strike %, and 24.6% K rate, in 2011.

He did a whole lot of damage with what he did connect with though. His HR/FB ratio was Bondsian.

Just to get the tread back on track here is a post from a RoTo Baller

The Mariners mean business. After paying most countries’ GDP for Robinson Cano, it is clear that the Mariners mean to strike now. With the exception of king Felix and Cano, the Mariners aren’t tied up with many big contracts, which means the money is there. They clearly mean to capitalize on those two superstars while they are still in their prime, and adding Tanaka would give them a serious leg up in the ever-contested AL West. Their second starter behind Hernandez is Tanaka’s former Rakuten teammate, Hisashi Iwakuma, which adds a comfort factor to the whole deal which should not be taken lightly. You could certainly make an argument that the Mariners are the favorite to sign Tanaka, as they have it all— the need, the environment, the former teammate, and the dough.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post

The Mariners mean business. After paying most countries’ GDP for Robinson Cano, it is clear that the Mariners mean to strike now. With the exception of king Felix and Cano, the Mariners aren’t tied up with many big contracts, which means the money is there. They clearly mean to capitalize on those two superstars while they are still in their prime, and adding Tanaka would give them a serious leg up in the ever-contested AL West. Their second starter behind Hernandez is Tanaka’s former Rakuten teammate, Hisashi Iwakuma, which adds a comfort factor to the whole deal which should not be taken lightly. You could certainly make an argument that the Mariners are the favorite to sign Tanaka, as they have it all— the need, the environment, the former teammate, and the dough.
    Same old, same old.

:Boring:
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

RoTo Baller? That's bobcataliciuos.

NYYF Legend

The business sounds like it's going in Seattle
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Neither has Montero.

I know that but at the time Montero was the Yankees best prospect. I really thought they should have tried to get an established starting pitcher for him. Not a pitcher who basically had pitched well for a half a season. I mean the Yankees almost got Cliff Lee for him.
    And Montero might have hit better at YS than Seattle.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post

I am sincerely curious: Do you root for the Mariners at all?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I know that but at the time Montero was the Yankees best prospect. I really thought they should have tried to get an established starting pitcher for him. Not a pitcher who basically had pitched well for a half a season. I mean the Yankees almost got Cliff Lee for him.
    Or maybe steroids is what made Montero a hitter to begin with. I think after this year Pineda will make people forget Montero. Heck Montero has made me forget Montero. And there is still Campos.
    Life is good!

It's extremely understating Pineda's actual performance and his ceiling by saying he "pitched well for half a season".

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    It's extremely understating Pineda's actual performance and his ceiling by saying he "pitched well for half a season".
    Agreed he was dominant for that first half of the year and wasn't as bad as his ERA in the second half. He definitely looked like a top of the rotation starter moving forward. And he was cost controlled. At the time it was hard to imagine landing a better starter especially when you consider the $'s.

Yeah, Pineda was exactly the right thing to trade Montero for. Pineda's injury was tough luck, but it was still the right trade to make.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I am sincerely curious: Do you root for the Mariners at all?

And sincerely NO i do not even like them as a 3rd or 4th favorite team. Can't help it if the rumors are for them. If the same thing was said about any other team i would post it. I do not look to see who its about. Right now they are the flavor of the week.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Especially since it's a half a season more than Montero has ever played well at the major league level.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

I'd expect we'll hear something on Tanaka tomorrow (Monday).

Klapisch on WFAN. His guess, based on people he's spoken with and which probably means absolutely nothing: It'll be between the Yanks and Dodgers. The Dodgers will offer more but he's not sure Tanaka will make that a priority as to who he'll select between the two teams.

My wild guess is that it will be the M's.

Thread Information