+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 143 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Thread: Masahiro Tanaka

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Re: Masahiro Tanaka

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If I had ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had eggs.
    That says more about the team than it does about Tanaka. Let's not blame the ham just because there are no eggs.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Meanwhile, Jeff Passan reiterates that the Yankees are “going to be bold” in their pursuit of Rakuten Golden Eagles right-hander Masahiro Tanaka. Re-signing Robinson Cano and landing Tanaka are considered priorities 1 and 1a, he says. The team’s scouts — the same ones who declared Yu Darvish unfit for New York — compared Tanaka’s temperament and makeup to Hideki Matsui’s.
    -RAB

What. I was under the assumption they had signed off on Yu.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    -RAB

What. I was under the assumption they had signed off on Yu.
    Passan doesn't say that in his article so I don't know where RAB got that information.
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    He could win a lot of games with those numbers, provided they fix the offense as well.
    I think that would be barely over 100 ERA+

Its not a question of "will he do good in NY", its a question of for 130MM, is that production worth it.

Also, FYI, i dont care about an individuals w/l record. So completely worthless. You can pitch to a 2.00 era for 30 games but still have a chance of losing every single one if ur offense scores a 0.

That says more about the team than it does about Tanaka. Let's not blame the ham just because there are no eggs.
    Oh, I agree. The comment was about the state of the organization, not about Tanaka. You still need to have some ham if you want to have ham and eggs.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

if they are overreacting from missing out on darvish this could turn out bad. i suppose this guy can learn from kuroda about pitching in the mlb though
    always reasonable

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Oh, I agree. The comment was about the state of the organization, not about Tanaka. You still need to have some ham if you want to have ham and eggs.
    Yes, totally agree.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    if they are overreacting from missing out on darvish this could turn out bad. i suppose this guy can learn from kuroda about pitching in the mlb though
    I hope they're not. But I've gotta believe Darvish isn't the only Japanese league pitcher capable of succeeding and excelling in the majors. From what I see and read, this guy does seem to be the real deal.

I like Tanaka on paper, and I like that the Yankees are apparently one of the leaders for his services, but it's baffling to me why they didn't go harder after Yu Darvish, and it feels like at least part of this is a response to the criticism they got about that

I see numbers tossed around and the quotes that Tanaka might have the highest posting fee ever, and it seems extreme. He doesn't project to be the same quality of pitcher as Darvish, who was about as close to a no brainer as you can get

It's not my money, but if they're going to throw $70-80 million away on a posting fee he better be the real deal

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    I like Tanaka on paper, and I like that the Yankees are apparently one of the leaders for his services, but it's baffling to me why they didn't go harder after Yu Darvish, and it feels like at least part of this is a response to the criticism they got about that

I see numbers tossed around and the quotes that Tanaka might have the highest posting fee ever, and it seems extreme. He doesn't project to be the same quality of pitcher as Darvish, who was about as close to a no brainer as you can get

It's not my money, but if they're going to throw $70-80 million away on a posting fee he better be the real deal
    I was frustrated as well that they seemed to be so lukewarm on Darvish when all indications were he'd be a stud. However, that's water under the bridge. I don't think they were holding back so that they can throw more money at Tanaka. I do think Tanaka projects to be another excellent pitcher and they're going into this with a clear sense of purpose this time.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

I was frustrated as well that they seemed to be so lukewarm on Darvish when all indications were he'd be a stud. However, that's water under the bridge. I don't think they were holding back so that they can throw more money at Tanaka. I do think Tanaka projects to be another excellent pitcher and they're going into this with a clear sense of purpose this time.
    Exactly. I think they are learning from their mistakes. Sucks that they made them, but I'd rather have them correct than to keep making them.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Exactly. I think they are learning from their mistakes. Sucks that they made them, but I'd rather have them correct than to keep making them.
    Theyre correcting one mistake (not being aggressive on IFA) by committing another classic mistake (overpaying + inefficient use of resources)

Now if they can get their crap together and plan accordingly past one or two years, then i'd really get on board.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    Theyre correcting one mistake (not being aggressive on IFA) by committing another classic mistake (overpaying + inefficient use of resources)

Now if they can get their crap together and plan accordingly past one or two years, then i'd really get on board.
    As long as this front office remains intact, don't hold your breath. They have no long term strategy in place. They're winging it from year to year.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    As long as this front office remains intact, don't hold your breath. They have no long term strategy in place. They're winging it from year to year.
    [citation needed]
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    [citation needed]
    Um, yeah. How exactly have they overpaid?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    If they don't go over 189M then they're not winging it from year to year.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    You would not want Lee or Darvish on this team right now? Interesting.
    Yeah that's what I said.....Re-read my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    If they don't go over 189M then they're not winging it from year to year.

But, isn't the decision to get under the $189M despite having a productive farm system the definition of winging it?

It's been effecting their decisions for the last couple of years and resulted in Cashman's cavalcade of dumpster diving last year
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post
    This reminds me of so so so many pitchers we have filled countless threads over in the past. Whether it is inserting them in the rotation as a given and/or already fitting for Pinstripes, it just never seems to work out in the end (and sometimes thankfully not working out). Santana, Matsuzaka, Lee, Darvish etc......
    Look on the bright side: We kept Eduardo Nunez.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    But, isn't the decision to get under the $189M despite having a productive farm system the definition of winging it?

It's been effecting their decisions for the last couple of years and resulted in Cashman's cavalcade of dumpster diving last year
    It's an illconceived plan but it's a plan.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post

This reminds me of a discussion I had in the Jeter thread two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    It's an illconceived plan but it's a plan.
    It's also essentially a one-year plan. They get under $189M for 2014 and then...they wing it.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

The writing is on the wall, gentleman.

We will sign him to " Darvish " money, and he will be atrocious.

I'm expecting it ... completely ready for this outcome.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    The writing is on the wall, gentleman.

We will sign him to " Darvish " money, and he will be atrocious.

I'm expecting it ... completely ready for this outcome.
    Based on everything I've read, he'll cost more than Darvish money yet will not be nearly as good as Darvish. Love it!

Sarcasm aside, I'd still sign him regardless of what I wrote above. He should be an excellent #2-3 and will "only" cost them an AAV of around $10M or so. A no brainer for a team looking to keep their payroll down while staying competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Based on everything I've read, he'll cost more than Darvish money yet will not be nearly as good as Darvish. Love it!

Sarcasm aside, I'd still sign him regardless of what I wrote above. He should be an excellent #2-3 and will "only" cost them an AAV of around $10M or so. A no brainer for a team looking to keep their payroll down while staying competitive.
    Darvish isn't the best benchmark. At that salary, he's a worthwhile signing as long as Hal doesn't decide that he has to cut back because of the posting fee. As long as they are willing to throw money around that isn't subject to the luxury tax, this signing would make sense.

Thread Information