+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: Masahiro Tanaka

NYYF Legend

Re: Masahiro Tanaka

i don't know why people are suddenly talking about the dodgers as potential bidders... this is all based off of one LA beatwriter's speculation that they could be involved due to their history (that's not to say that i believe the dodger's WON'T bid, because i do believe that there's a chance, but if they really do intend on extending kershaw this winter, i don't know how much money they'd have left to put down on another big contract)
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I believe you are correct. Top 2-3 bidding teams . . .

So the goal (easier said than done) is to be the #3 poster and then use the dollars saved on the posting fee to increase the offer to the player.
    That is assuming that the player's former club in Japan has NO influence in "helping" the player to decide. Remember Japan's culture is RESPECT and out of respect for the sponsoring team, the player might feel obligated to honor the highest monetary bid. Guess it might depend on the monetary spread between the teams.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Not with the new rules, I think....
    If the high bid is 60 mil, they can bid a little lower and still have rights to negotiate.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)
    Thanks - didn't know that.. I guess that makes the bid a little less important.

Richmond Virginians

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    i don't know why people are suddenly talking about the dodgers as potential bidders... this is all based off of one LA beatwriter's speculation that they could be involved due to their history (that's not to say that i believe the dodger's WON'T bid, because i do believe that there's a chance, but if they really do intend on extending kershaw this winter, i don't know how much money they'd have left to put down on another big contract)
    That is easy. Their ownership has shown the willingness to spend money. The Yankees have not. I will be very surprised if we are in the top three bidders.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    That is easy. Their ownership has shown the willingness to spend money. The Yankees have not. I will be very surprised if we are in the top three bidders.
    Given that the owners has just put a renewed emphasis on bringing in and developing talent, I don't think it will be at all surprising if the Yankees change course here.

Of course, it's a bit absurd to say that the Yankees' ownership doesn't spend money, given their payroll.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

given their already heavy commitments, sunken cost or not, it was not very realisitc for them to spend the 50m+lux tax or whatever needed to boost the team to contender level for 2013-14. the problem is more long term badness of the farm and of course the steep decline/................ up of some of the big players
    always reasonable

They've already offered Kershaw an extension nearing $300M earlier in the year. Didn't stop them from signing Guerrero.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    They've already offered Kershaw an extension nearing $300M earlier in the year. Didn't stop them from signing Guerrero.
    guerrero was much cheaper than Tanaka will be
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Addicted Member

Kershaw could always roll the die and test free agency. It's risking the incoming huge Dodgers offer but he could probably earn another 50 million that way. He would have to stay healthy and not have a season substantially worse than this one.

If I were Kershaw, I'd cash in (I'm pretty conservative when it comes to money). As a Yankees fan, I hope to the high heavens that he's available next year.

Richmond Virginians

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Given that the owners has just put a renewed emphasis on bringing in and developing talent, I don't think it will be at all surprising if the Yankees change course here.

Of course, it's a bit absurd to say that the Yankees' ownership doesn't spend money, given their payroll.
    It is not the major league payroll - it is the unwillingness to invest in international prospects and draft choices (prior to the cap.) This is one reason we have lacked replacements as our major league roster aged out.

NYYF Legend

The above is the case with every club including the Yanks, right? I can't find a quote from Cashman or Levine saying "We are bidding for Tanaka", it is all from beat writers. (I am not saying that they are not, they just have shown no cards)
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    The above is the case with every club including the Yanks, right? I can't find a quote from Cashman or Levine saying "We are bidding for Tanaka", it is all from beat writers. (I am not saying that they are not, they just have shown no cards)
    the yanks have sent all their top scouts to watch pretty much all of tanaka's starts this season... i'd say that's showing their hand a little bit

haven't read much about the dodger's involvement (either scouting or bidding) until that one stupid article
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    guerrero was much cheaper than Tanaka will be
    ...that's obvious, yes. Still doesn't change the fact they went out and locked themselves in for $28M on an unknown.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post
    If I were Kershaw, I'd cash in (I'm pretty conservative when it comes to money). As a Yankees fan, I hope to the high heavens that he's available next year.
    Totally agree, but that's not going to happen. Unlike the Yankees, the Dodgers lock up their top players before they hit free agency.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Totally agree, but that's not going to happen. Unlike the Yankees, the Dodgers lock up their top players before they hit free agency.
    Maybe, but they aren't getting a discount at this point.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Maybe, but they aren't getting a discount at this point.
    What the Yankees need is a balance:

First, invest highly in starting pitching (ex: Masahiro Tanaka)

Then, do what the Devil Rays and Redsox do as far as hitting: They get hustlers and grinders such as Gomez and Escobar for a low price.

and for the bullpen, get boat load and have them compete for a job in spring training.

NYYF Legend

the yanks have sent all their top scouts to watch pretty much all of tanaka's starts this season... i'd say that's showing their hand a little bit

haven't read much about the dodger's involvement (either scouting or bidding) until that one stupid article
    Okay, but when the article actually has Colletti being quoted saying "we have scouted him a lot" etc......is that still some beat writer's guess?

Of course the Dodgers are likely in, most of the regulars will be.

If Cashman, Randy, and Hal can't get on the same page and develop a coherent strategy, the Yankees are going to strike out on Tanaka and get stuck giving Ricky Nolasco a 5 year deal.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Legend

160 pitches in what will probably be his final appearance in NPB

It's gonna be awesome when he blows out his elbow in his first start in the US
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    If Cashman, Randy, and Hal can't get on the same page and develop a coherent strategy, the Yankees are going to strike out on Tanaka and get stuck giving Ricky Nolasco a 5 year deal.
    It really wouldn't surprise me if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    It really wouldn't surprise me if that happens.
    This is what is sad.

NYYF Legend

Tanaka throws 16 more pitches on the following day to close out game 7... That's 176 pitches in 2 days

Talk about abusing a pitcher on the way out sheesh
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Tanaka throws 16 more pitches on the following day to close out game 7... That's 176 pitches in 2 days

I guess their manager was not happy about him leaving for more money.

NYYF Legend

I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with him on the way out. Their manager, Senichi Hoshino, is a Japnese old school. He would do the same even if Tanaka stay with them next season.

NYYF Legend

I get it.....there is NO pitching out there, but still.....wow.

Tanaka is waiting for MLB and Nippon Professional League to agree on a new
    posting system. The posting price is expected to top the $51.7 million the
    Rangers used to win the negotiating rights to Yu Darvish.

Thread Information