+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 143 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Thread: Masahiro Tanaka

NYYF Legend

Re: Masahiro Tanaka

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    This guy is the real deal - his splitter is absolutely filthy, and his pitching style reminds me of David Cone. Front-line 24 year old starting pitchers rarely become available - there will certainly be plenty of teams bidding, and I'm not too optimistic about the Yankees landing him.

Here's some footage:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR_YDnl37M4
    I would say that his slider is as good or even better. No doubt that both are strikeout pitches. The question is if his fastball can succeed in MLB. I think he can but that's a big question mark.

Forum Regular

I'm starting to think that with the severe lack of front-line free agent pitching, the winning posting fee for this guy might be something ridiculous. Possibly in the 60M + range

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Let's say the Yankees are in it with a strong posting fee and land this guy. Speculating that the posting fee will be something north of $30M or $40M. Would that be greater than the luxury tax? If so, is there an advantage to forking over that much money in a posting fee for one player vs. just paying the luxury tax on whatever it takes to fill a number of necessary roster holes. Just wondering...
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Let's say the Yankees are in it with a strong posting fee and land this guy. Speculating that the posting fee will be something north of $30M or $40M. Would that be greater than the luxury tax? If so, is there an advantage to forking over that much money in a posting fee for one player vs. just paying the luxury tax on whatever it takes to fill a number of necessary roster holes. Just wondering...
    This year they paid over $29M for luxury tax. If they keep it under $189M next season, not only they wouldn't need to pay any luxury tax, their luxury tax rate would be reset at 17.5% in 2015 season instead of 50%. Dodgers this year payroll is about $234.5M but they only need to pay about $10M for luxury tax because they're the first time offender. So their tax rate is only 17.5%.

In addition, if the Yankees can keep the payroll under $189M, there would be saving for revenue sharing rebates.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    This year they paid over $29M for luxury tax. If they keep it under $189M next season, not only they wouldn't need to pay any luxury tax, their luxury tax rate would be reset at 17.5% in 2015 season instead of 50%. Dodgers this year payroll is about $234.5M but they only need to pay about $10M for luxury tax because they're the first time offender. So their tax rate is only 17.5%.

In addition, if the Yankees can keep the payroll under $189M, there would be saving for revenue sharing rebates.
    Pretty much why ownership really wants to get below it.

Luckily, posting fee does not count toward the $189

Quote Originally Posted by playa888 View Post
    I'm starting to think that with the severe lack of front-line free agent pitching, the winning posting fee for this guy might be something ridiculous. Possibly in the 60M + range
    That plus the fact that the existing system seems to force players like Matsuzaka and Darvish to capitulate somewhat on salary.

"Hey, we had $100MM to invest and put $60MM down on the winning bid, so here's a take-it-or-leave-it 5/$40MM offer. "

Wouldn't surprise me if it took a Darvish-like bid at all.

NYYF Legend

I'm hoping they sign this guy. Of course there are risks with him, but I think it's worth a shot at this point in time.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I'm hoping they sign this guy. Of course there are risks with him, but I think it's worth a shot at this point in time.
    I feel the same way. But I hate this system -- even if they want to do something significant, you really have no idea if you are approaching it the right way.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    I agree, fans don't come because of the stars they come because they want to see the team win.

Also Korean pitcher Suk-Min-Yoon is coming to the US as well

From just watching his youtube videos he has decent stuff, I think he could become a good back end of the rotation guy. Not saying we should sign him I would rather have Phelps or Nuno.

Also, can we get a Jose Dariel Abreu thread like this Tanaka one?
    That's not entirely true. They won 95 games in 2012 and saw their attendance numbers decrease. Hell the team played over the head at the start of this season ad the fans didn't rush to the park. When it comes to the Yankees they need an attraction. Not stars at every position but at least a few.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    That's not entirely true. They won 95 games in 2012 and saw their attendance numbers decrease. Hell the team played over the head at the start of this season ad the fans didn't rush to the park. When it comes to the Yankees they need an attraction. Not stars at every position but at least a few.
    The Yankees have had stars before with mediocre attendance. I still think winning (and, perhaps even more specifically, the expectation of winning) has the most direct correlation to attendance
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    The Yankees have had stars before with mediocre attendance. I still think winning (and, perhaps even more specifically, the expectation of winning) has the most direct correlation to attendance
    To an extent, these are true. Unfortunately, the Yankee prices are so insane that the fanbase can't afford to get in. The Yankees probably depend more on the corporate seats for ticket sales than anything else. If attendance and viewership are decreasing, I would say its because its too expensive to root for the Yankees these days.

EDIT: Just so I'm clear, star power does matter. Lord knows I'm not paying what the Yankees are asking to go watch Jayson Nix be the heart and soul of the lineup.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    To an extent, these are true. Unfortunately, the Yankee prices are so insane that the fanbase can't afford to get in. The Yankees probably depend more on the corporate seats for ticket sales than anything else. If attendance and viewership are decreasing, I would say its because its too expensive to root for the Yankees these days.

EDIT: Just so I'm clear, star power does matter. Lord knows I'm not paying what the Yankees are asking to go watch Jayson Nix be the heart and soul of the lineup.
    If Nix is in fact the heart and soul of the lineup there's no way they are a winning team. So there certainly is a relationship between the quality of the players and the quality of the team. But that quality needs to be spread across the lineup and not in just a few players. The 1998 is the best example ("when they ask who was our star, give them 25 names") - and we know how that year turned out.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    So how would you explain the mediocre (relatively speaking) attendance in 2012 when they won 95 games?

The question that needs to be answer is what is the norm for Yankee attendance? The Yankees attendance didn't hit the 3M mark until 1999, the year after their record 125 wins counting playoffs. None of the previous dynasty teams or even the great 1970s teams drew 3M.

They didn't reach 4M until 2005 for four straight years when they averaged over 50K per game. IMO, I think their norm is probably around 3.5M, as Yankee tickets are more expensive now. If the Yankees remain playoff competitive, I think their attendance will flucturate between 3.2M-3.7M people based on a few factors like the economy, weather and how much the fanbase likes the current team.

Looking at their historical attendance figures is interesting especially those dynasty teams with 3 teams in NYC at the same time.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...Y/attend.shtml
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The question that needs to be answer is what is the norm for Yankee attendance? The Yankees attendance didn't hit the 3M mark until 1999, the year after their record 125 wins counting playoffs. None of the previous dynasty teams or even the great 1970s teams drew 3M.

They didn't reach 4M until 2005 for four straight years when they averaged over 50K per game. IMO, I think their norm is probably around 3.5M, as Yankee tickets are more expensive now. If the Yankees remain playoff competitive, I think their attendance will flucturate between 3.2M-3.7M people based on a few factors like the economy, weather and how much the fanbase likes the current team.

Looking at their historical attendance figures is interesting especially those dynasty teams with 3 teams in NYC at the same time.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...Y/attend.shtml
    Are you sure about the 3.5? That seams rather high over the long term. Maybe 2.9-3.2. And much of the build up to 4M was the closing of OYS.

Devoted Member

So how would you explain the mediocre (relatively speaking) attendance in 2012 when they won 95 games?
    I'll never be able to explain people leaving early during the tied game 1 of the 2012 ALCS.

Suk-Min Yoon and Tanaka would be nice to have in the rotation.

Sabathia
    Tanaka
    Nova
    Yoon
    Pineda

That would be perfect

Why would Yoon be good?
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Why would Yoon be good?
    He was the second best pitcher behind Ryu. I think he could be better than Chen but not as good as Ryu.

Hard slider, Above average change up, and 91-92 MPH fastball. Not to mention he's still young (27).

NYYF Legend

Yoon is a relief guy I think in Korea and had shoulder isssues

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Yoon is a relief guy I think in Korea and had shoulder isssues
    River Ave had a good writeup on Yoon today:

http://riveraveblues.com/2013/10/sco...is-week-95436/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post

The newspapers would have a field day with this guy's name.

Imagine he faces off against Darvish - it's the Yu-Suk matchup.

this being new york and not oakland or kansas city prob has something to do with it. a lot fo people just go to the park if it's a buzz game with stars
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

The newspapers would have a field day with this guy's name.

Imagine he faces off against Darvish - it's the Yu-Suk matchup.
    Fapping
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post

do not want
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Thread Information