+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Masahiro Tanaka

Re: Masahiro Tanaka

Another Yankee scout that cross checked Tanaka.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yan...s-for-phillies
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

He will be a Yankee. Mine as well buy the jersey now

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    He will be a Yankee. Mine as well buy the jersey now
    Would be a huge step in the right direction.

To put it another way: pitching, pitching, pitching.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

I like this.

Sabathia
    Tanaka
    Nova
    Pineda
    Phelps

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    I like this.

Sabathia
    Tanaka
    Nova
    Pineda
    Phelps
    Assuming A-Rod gets suspended for the whole season:

Sabathia
    Garza
    Tanaka
    Nova
    Pineda

#6 = Phelps/Nuno/Warren/Huff
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Assuming A-Rod gets suspended for the whole season:

Sabathia
    Garza
    Tanaka
    Nova
    Pineda

#6 = Phelps/Nuno/Warren/Huff
    They don't need garza, spend that money on hitting.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    They don't need garza, spend that money on hitting.
    With respectful disagreement, this rotation can really use Garza. Plus, you're still right about the hitting too.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Yankees expected to bid high on Tanaka.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/10/yankees...anese-pitcher/

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    With respectful disagreement, this rotation can really use Garza. Plus, you're still right about the hitting too.
    You may be right, I just have faith that Sabathia will bounce back and Pineda will pitch well. Not to mention phelps and nuno both have some upside.

I'm no expert on this guy and I know that bidding on foreign players is always a gamble, but I'd like to see the Yankees take a calculated risk. Not because they didn't bid enough or at all on Darvish/Puig whoever, but because they think this kid can pitch in MLB. If he's a hot prospect like most scouts seem to think then why the heck not try to get him? This is the one area where the Yankees should have the biggest advantage, because they can afford the ridiculous posting fee and reap the advantages without it hitting them in the luxury tax

Garza is overhyped in my opinion. Don't really see anything special in him. Use money elsewhere.

NYYF Legend

Keep in mind that Tanaka's stuff is not as good as Darvish. And he's not as durable as Darvish.

That's being said, he's still a very good young pitcher and the Yankees should bid on him. Given that posting fee doesn't count towards $189M cap, it's a no-brainer move.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Keep in mind that Tanaka's stuff is not as good as Darvish. And he's not as durable as Darvish.

That's being said, he's still a very good young pitcher and the Yankees should bid on him. Given that posting fee doesn't count towards $189M cap, it's a no-brainer move.
    He's a strike thrower where as Darvish is not. He'll walk about 25% of the guys Darvish has. Although his strikeout numbers will be nowhere near Darvishs, this will also allow him to go deeper into games. He's been compared to Kuroda, they're both crafty groundball pitchers. So as long as we don't have Nunez at SS next year he should do well.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post

I'm not so sure that's accurate, but we'll find out next year when he signs with some team. It's going to be interesting to see how he compares with Darvish when they're both pitching in MLB games.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Garza is overhyped in my opinion. Don't really see anything special in him. Use money elsewhere.
    I guess I haven't seen that much hype, other than that he's been a pretty good pitcher for several teams over the past few years. In that sense, everything I've heard is pretty accurate in my opinion.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

I guess I haven't seen that much hype, other than that he's been a pretty good pitcher for several teams over the past few years. In that sense, everything I've heard is pretty accurate in my opinion.
    Garza's health going forward troubles me. If the Yankees are lucky enough to get Tanaka. Does signing Garza to a multi-year contract the wise thing to do or is it more prudent to sign Kuroda to a one year contract?

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Garza's health going forward troubles me. If the Yankees are lucky enough to get Tanaka. Does signing Garza to a multi-year contract the wise thing to do or is it more prudent to sign Kuroda to a one year contract?
    If we get Tanaka there would be a lot of value in re-signing Kuroda for mentor value. It would be invaluable to have a veteran japanese pitcher guiding him through his 1st year especial since they're such similar pitchers. With CC, Nova and Pineda in there too that would be a pretty handy rotation!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by playa888 View Post
    He's a strike thrower where as Darvish is not. He'll walk about 25% of the guys Darvish has. Although his strikeout numbers will be nowhere near Darvishs, this will also allow him to go deeper into games. He's been compared to Kuroda, they're both crafty groundball pitchers. So as long as we don't have Nunez at SS next year he should do well.
    This is the first time I have seen the Kuroda comparison. They're totally different pitchers. Tanaka is the definition of power pitcher from day 1 (high school) and he's known for strikeout. He has better control than Darvish but I wouldn't say that his command is better. Most of the Japanese hitters just couldn't catch up his fastball.

Btw Darvish's IP per game - 7.59.

Tanaka's IP per game - 7.50.

I'm not so sure that's accurate, but we'll find out next year when he signs with some team. It's going to be interesting to see how he compares with Darvish when they're both pitching in MLB games.
    I'm no scout but have watch both of them since their high school days. Darvish has slightly better fastball and breaking stuff while Tanaka has better control. That's my observation.

Maybe Kuroda would be more inclined to resign for another year if the Yankees got Tanaka. Same country, no?

NYYF Triple Crown

Once again, if A-Rod is suspended, there's enough money to sign Tanaka, Garza, Cano, AND get some more offense, still staying below $189M.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Yankees expected to bid high on Tanaka.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/10/yankees...anese-pitcher/
    Typical George King article. "Person familiar with the Yankees thinking".

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Agreed. Signing Garza to a multi-year (most likely overpriced) contract AND losing our first round pick? No thanks.

NYYF Legend

If they can re-sign Kuroda AND sign Tanaka, that would be excellent. Then they can focus on improving their lineup.

NYYF Legend

Maybe Kuroda would be more inclined to resign for another year if the Yankees got Tanaka. Same country, no?
    That's like saying Cano should re-sign with the Yankees because they have a number of Dominican players

Amazing how ignorance, even in subtle ways, is still so pervasive in this day and age
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by playa888 View Post
    You realize that darvish had a bb/9 of 1.4 in his last year of japan ball while tanaka's this year was 1.3, right?

This guy isn't going to be anywhere near darvish, but he'll still have value... It's just that the darvish comps need to stop, because darvish is simply the best pitcher that japan has produced ever
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thread Information