+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 143 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Masahiro Tanaka

Masahiro Tanaka

Via Ben Badler: The Yankees and Rangers have sent their top evaluators to scout Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka recently. Other clubs have watched him as well. We first heard New York had interest in Tanaka, who is expected to be posted after the season, back in May. Balder says MLB and NPB are discussing changes to the posting system — including placing a hard cap on the posting fee — but nothing is final.

Tanaka, 24, has a 1.20 ERA with 7.4 K/9 and 1.3 BB/9 in 158 innings for the Rakuten Golden Eagles this year. He’s listed at 6-foot-2 and 205 lbs., and is said to sit in the low-90s with a fastball that touches 96. Badler says scouts have some concern because he doesn’t get good plane on the pitch and it’s more hittable than the velocity suggests. Tanaka also throws a low-80s slider and a mid-80s splitter, like many Asian pitchers. He has been one of the league’s best pitchers for years now. Here’s video.

Tanaka is not as good as Yu Darvish, but Badler says “scouts project (him) as a potential No. 2 starter who can immediately step into a Major League rotation.” The Yankees have been very shy when it comes to bidding on big money international free agents after getting burned by Kei Igawa, but they could always change their approach at a moment’s notice. They will need some starters going forward, that’s for sure. The posting fee doesn’t count against the luxury tax either, just the actual player contract.

Video is in link below.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2013/08/bad...-tanaka-93056/

This guy seems to make more sense then that other dude from Cuba (Abreu). We could use another starter given the question marks in our rotation next year.

Will Yankees take the chance, though?

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Re: Masahiro Tanaka

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    http://riveraveblues.com/2013/08/bad...-tanaka-93056/

This guy seems to make more sense then that other dude from Cuba (Abreu). We could use another starter given the question marks in our rotation next year.

Will Yankees take the chance, though?
    Not at Darvish numbers, I hope.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

He's not going to get Darvish numbers because he's not as highly thought of.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    He's not going to get Darvish numbers because he's not as highly thought of.
    I should have written "not anywhere near"
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Passing on Darvish yet rolling the dice on this guy does not make a lot of sense to me. Even though he won't be as expensive, there will be considerable expense. And if they were gun shy about committing to a much better Asian pitcher, they should be even more gun shy here.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Passing on Darvish yet rolling the dice on this guy does not make a lot of sense to me. Even though he won't be as expensive, there will be considerable expense. And if they were gun shy about committing to a much better Asian pitcher, they should be even more gun shy here.
    How do you or any of us know about this pitcher? What if our scouts like him and say he's the real deal. You guys can't have it both ways. Criticize them for not going after one player and then criticizing them again for going after another player.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Last three years he's been solid. I think he'd be worth 20-30 or so in posting.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

If he actually projects to a #2 (and none of us really knows the answer to that), then why shouldn't they take a shot? Hal just called everyone down to Tampa to talk about player development - I'd think this is exactly a time when they might change their approach on stuff like this.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    If he actually projects to a #2 (and none of us really knows the answer to that), then why shouldn't they take a shot? Hal just called everyone down to Tampa to talk about player development - I'd think this is exactly a time when they might change their approach on stuff like this.
    Exactly.

NYYF Legend

Not as good as Darvish but he's a top 5 pitchers in Japan. His stuff is real.
    Last edited by kan_t; 08-21-13 at 10:38 PM.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I'll fully admit if I jumped the gun to criticize this. It's just that Darvish felt like such an obviously strong target, anything else feels a little like an imitation. Hope I'm completely wrong.

Forum Regular

I'll fully admit if I jumped the gun to criticize this. It's just that Darvish felt like such an obviously strong target, anything else feels a little like an imitation. Hope I'm completely wrong.
    My frustration in not acquiring Darvish with the payroll we have is equal to yours. Especially since our pitching stocks are going to be deteriorated after this year and we need some young studs to come through. It doesn't get much younger and studlier than Darvish. Tanaka might be worth the gamble.

We all acknowledged they blew it with Darvish or at least should've been more aggressive with their bid. However, they can't change that now. The only thing they can do is to make sure they try harder on the next opportunity which apparently is Tanaka.

And seriously, Tanaka's stats over the last 3 seasons have been outstanding. He's 23 (24 in Nov), so he's obviously learning something.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

I read a link on another site that Billy Eppler was in Japan scouting Tanaka last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    How do you or any of us know about this pitcher? What if our scouts like him and say he's the real deal. You guys can't have it both ways. Criticize them for not going after one player and then criticizing them again for going after another player.
    A an early-mid 20 year old with top of the rotation stuff is always worth a shot. That said at this point I don't trust our scouts or front office to both appropriately evaluate the talent and place a monetary value on it. I hope they prove me wrong, but the days of saying "if our scouts like him" are gone for me. It seems the general opinions and scouting reports we see in the media are often more accurate than the ones we hear about coming from our scouts. I don't know exactly what's happening internally, but the front office seems to be consistently outdone by others throughout the league. And not only the ones that now seemingly have bigger budgets (Dodgers) than the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    A an early-mid 20 year old with top of the rotation stuff is always worth a shot. That said at this point I don't trust our scouts or front office to both appropriately evaluate the talent and place a monetary value on it. I hope they prove me wrong, but the days of saying "if our scouts like him" are gone for me. It seems the general opinions and scouting reports we see in the media are often more accurate than the ones we hear about coming from our scouts. I don't know exactly what's happening internally, but the front office seems to be consistently outdone by others throughout the league. And not only the ones that now seemingly have bigger budgets (Dodgers) than the Yankees.
    That's where you and I disagree as I think our ownership is getting favorable scouting reports, but they refuse to spend the money.

NYYF Legend

But how does going after him affect the $189 million salary limit. That seems to be all that the front office cares about.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    But how does going after him affect the $189 million salary limit. That seems to be all that the front office cares about.
    Don't know yet!

Hard to know, but the AAV would be less than what they are paying Pettitte this year.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

There is so much salary coming off the books and with ARod being suspended that staying under 189 is not even a concern
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post
    There is so much salary coming off the books and with ARod being suspended that staying under 189 is not even a concern
    There's no guarantee about ARod's money coming off the books at this moment in time. I think it would be a mistake to plan that way until and unless the ruling actually comes down, IMO.

There's no guarantee about ARod's money coming off the books at this moment in time. I think it would be a mistake to plan that way until and unless the ruling actually comes down, IMO.
    I agree. I am concerned that the arbitrator won't rule into sometime in December and keep the Yankees from planning effectively. I think there's a good chance he plays part of the year next year.

He'll probably be less expensive than most FA starters. The posting fee doesn't count against the luxury tax either.

I think the Yankees also might be less hesitant than they were previously to sign guys to a multi-year deal. The reason being is that they only really have to worry about the salary this year because if they get under this year its not that big of a deal to go over next. Previously the Yankees didn't want multi-year deals cause they didn't want too much money on the books for this year when they knew it was important to get under.

That said the luxury tax situation really rests heavily on the ARod situation. If he is not suspended next year or only gets around 50 games that doesn't give the Yankees flexibility to do really much of anything in FA if they want to stay under the cap. Especially if they're looking to bring back Cano and Kuroda.

you really can't tell from the numbers alone how a guy will adjust to the majors. he obviously does not have Yu "12k/9" Darvish stuff, but is he a craftsman and battler like kuroda?
    always reasonable

Thread Information