+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Re: Jose Dariel Abreu...?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Where are you proposing A-Rod is going to be in 2015?

Hal knows he has Tex on the books for 3 more years, and A-Rod for 4. I'm guessing it would be a hard sell to get him to sign off on a high-priced 1B/DH. I think it's much more likely they go all in on Tanaka and leave Abreu to the highest bidder.
    I agree about Tanaka. And I hope that is the case.

I just feel if Yanks sign Abreu it would be because he can hit, and we worry about his position when the times comes.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    I agree about Tanaka. And I hope that is the case.

I just feel if Yanks sign Abreu it would be because he can hit, and we worry about his position when the times comes.
    They're talking about 70M to sign Abreu. I wouldn't do so for a one dimensional player that may or may not be an impact bat in the majors.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    They're talking about 70M to sign Abreu. I wouldn't do so for a one dimensional player that may or may not be an impact bat in the majors.
    That would be fine to be honest. Just don't sign McCann, Beltran, or any other big player aside from Tanaka and resigning Granderson for a couple years. We would be able to afford that (By afford I mean getting under the luxury tax of course we could afford it) and the best part is you don't have to give up a draft pick.
    Last edited by El Barto; 10-16-13 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    That would be fine to be honest. Just don't sign McCann, Beltran, or any other big player aside from Tanaka and resigning Granderson for a couple years. We would be able to afford that (By afford I mean getting under the luxury tax of course we could afford it) and the best part is you don't have to give up a draft pick.
    If Abreu could play RF, I might agree with you.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

NYYF Legend

MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reports that free agent Cuban slugger Jose Abreu has narrowed his list of potential destinations to the Astros, Red Sox and White Sox.

The Rangers were thought to be among the favorites for Abreu when he first defected from Cuba, but the lofty asking price may have scared them away. ESPN's Buster Olney reported Wednesday evening that the bidding for Abreu could climb near $70 million. The 26-year-old first baseman hit .382/.535/.735 with 13 homers, 37 runs scored, 36 RBI and 37 walks in 42 games last season in Cuba's Serie Nacional.
    -Rotoworld

NYYF Cy Young

I predict he winds up hitting behind Ortiz next year. Can't see why he would choose the astros or White Sox....unless the money is significantly different....
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownYankee View Post
    I predict he winds up hitting behind Ortiz next year. Can't see why he would choose the astros or White Sox....unless the money is significantly different....
    @Buster_ESPN: Red Sox don't expect to sign Jose Abreu; they figure he'll be signing with another team. White Sox, Astros now seen as frontrunners.
    Good call.

He will sign with the biggest check. Pretty simple call really, this will probably be the biggest contract in his career.

I am confused to why Olney is talking about this like this is the NPB Posting system.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

Astros also out -

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Astros have fallen short in the bidding for Cuban first baseman Jose Abreu.

Olney hears that the Astros bid between $50-60 million while indications are that the winning bid will be around $70 million. The Red Sox don't expect to sign Abreu, so unless there's a sleeper team in the mix, this leaves the White Sox as the likely favorites.

There must be a sleeper team...

But I can see him going to the White Sox

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Good call.

He will sign with the biggest check. Pretty simple call really, this will probably be the biggest contract in his career.

I am confused to why Olney is talking about this like this is the NPB Posting system.
    My anti-karma worked?
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

70m for 5 years is pretty decent for a guy who's going to hit like a god
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    70m for 5 years is pretty decent for a guy who's going to hit like a god
    He never put out a video like Cespedes did. Why

He never put out a video like Cespedes did. Why
    have you seen his stats
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    have you seen his stats
    I'm not denying his talent, but I wish he put out a showcase video. Youtube does no justice.

Cuban first baseman Jose Dariel Abreu is "finalizing" a six-year, $68MM contract, likely with the White Sox, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal tweets. Abreu is represented by Praver Shapiro Sports Management. The deal would be the largest contract ever for an international free agent. It would easily surpass the six-year, $42MM deal Yasiel Puig received from the Dodgers last June.
    -MLBTR

My idea of using him as 3B/RF is now tarnished! Noooooo

If the White Sox do get him, Dunn will have to be moved. As no one is going to want him at that price, they'll probably do an absolute salary dump without anything resembling talent coming back their way.

I still don't get how the Yankees got the Wells contract to represent an AAV save against the '14 lux tax, but if a) the WS eat almost all of that deal, b) it results in a lux tax "credit" to the Yankees and c) the WS would take garbage in return, it wouldn't surprise me if Dunn were considered as a potential LH platoon option at DH.

I know this idea will frost some folks here, but again if it's an AAV credit and he's so cheap that he's cuttable if he sucks I wouldn't be dead set against it.

^ Wouldn't the White Sox use Abreu at 1B and Dunn as DH?

Hayman reporting Rangers trying to make a last minute push

Update on the matter...

The Rangers will not sign Abreu, Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan tweets. The Astros and Red Sox likely will not, either. The White Sox still appear to be the favorites, although there might still be a "mystery team" involved.
    -MLBTR

Cashman waiting to make his move, lol.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Update on the matter...

-MLBTR

Cashman waiting to make his move, lol.
    Yes, he's waiting to see whom the White Sox dump, so he can swoop in and scoop up the remains.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

^ Wouldn't the White Sox use Abreu at 1B and Dunn as DH?
    Depends on whether you think Abreu can play 1B at the lower pain tolerance threshold at the MLB level. Doesn't seem like here is a lot of confidence in that. I suppose they could, or they could put Dunn at 1B too... But both of those moves seem highly questionable.

My guess? If they sign Abreu, they punt Dunn and convince Konerko to play one more year at a nominal salary.

White sox signed him

/thread

NYYF Legend

Numbers on Twitter.

6 years, $68M.

Damn, REALLY wanted this kid.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Yes, he's waiting to see whom the White Sox dump, so he can swoop in and scoop up the remains.
    This..
    Ain't it EVIL to LIVE backwards

Richmond Virginians

Let's add Dunn to our group of overpaid has beens.

Thread Information