+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Yanks to honor Mo 9/22

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Re: Yanks to honor Mo 9/22

Awesome. Well deserved, obviously. I keep coming back to the fact that we can say we watched the babe Ruth of closers play in person.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

I'm going to the last game of the season. I wonder what Rivera will do then.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    I'm going to the last game of the season. I wonder what Rivera will do then.
    probably nothing but if the Yankees dont make the postseason it would be Mo's last game as an active player at Yankee Stadium
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    probably nothing but if the Yankees dont make the postseason it would be Mo's last game as an active player at Yankee Stadium
    Oh, put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
    Put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today;
    Look at me, I can be Centerfield.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Boooooo! I got tickets for the last game of the season hoping that's when they'd do things. Dammit, Yankees.

Against The Giants? Odd choice... Is that the last 1pm Sunday game or something?
    "Bacon, The Candy of Meats"

NYYF MVP

Still wanna be at the last game, although it's getting more & more depressing when I think about it, and the sinking feeling of Dread is getting worse.
    Got the ticket in March (already put in for 2 vacation days @ work, beings it's a night game.)

Looked forward to Opening Day (obviously ) so much more. Was worth 5X the ticket just to see him introduced before the game.

Even with post season, there's no guarantee the game we're at will be his last. PS Tickets have been easy to score the past years; certainly wouldn't be the case this year, because of him.

CF has to be a given. Don't know what else the Yanks can give/do for him, save give him a chunk of team $tock or re-name The Stadium. Would be hard to top what the the Dodgers did with Mrs. Jackie Robinson anyways. Mo sounded like he was choking up, talking about her after last night's game. Closest Yanks could do would be to also invite her & Double-Retire # 42.
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    Against The Giants? Odd choice... Is that the last 1pm Sunday game or something?
    As of now yes it is the last 1pm Sunday game, assuming
    Espn doesn't grab it for the Sunday night game

NYYF Legend

Please don't do that, ESPN. Some of us live in a different state and have work on Monday...

(They're totally doing that, aren't they.)

NYYF Legend

May or may not happen. Competing with Sunday Night Football is no small feat. Although the match-up that night isn't all that - Bears vs. Steelers.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I have tickets to the last game too. Section 103, right next to the bullpen.

I got tix to the final home game once Mo announced his retirement thinking that the Yanks would do something then. Silly me, I'd shouldve known they'd do another game just to sell more tix.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYDragoon View Post
    Please don't do that, ESPN. Some of us live in a different state and have work on Monday...

(They're totally doing that, aren't they.)

Yes, just like they did with the final game across the street in 2008.

What do you guys expect on 9/22? All we know so far, as per the press release, is that there will be a special pre-game tribute starting fifty minutes before the game. There will be special guests including former teammates and coaches. And all fans in attendance will receive a limited edition "Thank you Fans" photo from Mo.

NYYF MVP

The Mayor & Guv should be attendance, and declare that an A will officially be added to the end of "River" (Ave.)!

Everyone show up to games with "Just Add The a!" signs!

(Hope Bald Vinny sees this.)
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

Got tickets to the game through the Yankees website. Still tickets available in the $48/per terrace range.

Don't think most of the Yankee fans know about this yet so we'll see how prices react once it gets closer.

Traveling from DC just to catch this game. Decided it would be worth the memories in the long run.

Please don't move it to 8pm ESPN!

NYYF Cy Young

I know the overwhelming consensus here (including mine) is to not have ESPN grab the game for 8pm, but if you look at the schedule that day, there is not really another appealing game for them to grab. (And by appealing, I mean a big market game that will attract viewers, it's their job and goal to get the most viewers.) If the race in the NL Central tightens up down the stretch I can possibly see them thinking about grabbing CIN@PIT, but other than that, the Yankee game is the only one that seems like a logical choice, ratings-wise anyway.
    As a former Sunday STH for 18 seasons, I am right there with you all in knowing what a crappy deal it is when they come in and snipe games like that. For everyone's sake, I hope it doesn't happen.

P.S. as far as NFL goes, ESPN will be competing against CHI@PIT as the SNF game that night with whatever game they grab for SNB. Pirates & Steelers both at home that night playing within eyesight of each other at the same time if they grabbed CIN-PIT for SNB. Awesome sports night for Pittsburgh fans but not sure if they'd want to do that logistically.
    9-22 sked.jpg
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroo Court View Post
    What do you guys expect on 9/22? All we know so far, as per the press release, is that there will be a special pre-game tribute starting fifty minutes before the game. There will be special guests including former teammates and coaches. And all fans in attendance will receive a limited edition "Thank you Fans" photo from Mo.
    I hope that they get all living Yankee closers to attend . . .

Devoted Member

I picked up 4 tickets myself. Maybe he will announce that he changed his mind and come back for 2014. :-)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    I picked up 4 tickets myself. Maybe he will announce that he changed his mind and come back for 2014. :-)
    I don't think Mariano is the type to go all Roger Clemens on Brett Favre on us. Could you imagine the sounds coming out of the booth if Rivera was to come back midseason?
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    I don't think Mariano is the type to go all Roger Clemens on Brett Favre on us. Could you imagine the sounds coming out of the booth if Rivera was to come back midseason?

Make him the pitching coach !!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    I know the overwhelming consensus here (including mine) is to not have ESPN grab the game for 8pm, but if you look at the schedule that day, there is not really another appealing game for them to grab. (And by appealing, I mean a big market game that will attract viewers, it's their job and goal to get the most viewers.)
    The game is nothing special for ratings, since the ceremony will be an hour before the game starts. ESPN isn't going to start broadcasting it an hour before, and they would only show highlights after they go on-air at 8:00 pm

I also bought tickets to the final game thinking they would do something then. I honestly just think they did this to sell seats .. Makes no sense too me to have a ceremony 4 games before the his final game ...I was about to buy tickets to this ceremony and just realized I'd rather be at his final game than this...although it should be nice

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    The game is nothing special for ratings, since the ceremony will be an hour before the game starts. ESPN isn't going to start broadcasting it an hour before, and they would only show highlights after they go on-air at 8:00 pm
    I fully understand that. That wasn't where I was going.
    My point was, what other game on the slate that day would they rather grab besides this one to attract more viewers. I can't really come up with one off that list so that's why I think it will probably end up likely being this one. Not definite but highly likely IMO.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Thread Information