+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 35 of 35
  1. #26

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    I have to say, if Tino's accounts of the events are true (and I tend to believe him), then I can't blame him for his reactions toward these entitled, disrespectful little punks. I believe him because being disrespectful seems to be the norm in today's society and sometimes warped culture - even applauded; certainly more accepted than it was in the past. Maybe if these punks had a different upbringing it wouldn't have come to this.


  2. #27

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    I'm not saying the players were right, but that's just bad leadership. I could easily think of ways to handle that situation better.
    I'm sure if Tino had to do it differently, he would, but only because he unsuspectingly became the bad guy in all of this. Sometimes enough is enough. Tino respectfully explained the proper procedure and etiquette that teammates have always adhered to at batting practice and they decided to respond like douchebags. That the poor little bitches were butt-hurt by his yelling and cursing, especially since Tino was right, says it all. They want to be tough guys and play by their own rules until confronted. The one incident where he grabbed a player by the uniform for being insubordinate, disrespectful and getting in Tino's face was a non-issue until that player was demoted. Even then he lied by saying Tino grabbed him by the neck, when there were witnesses claiming this wasn't true.


  3. #28
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Kingdom of Back

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Please. Ballet dancers work waaaay harder than baseball players.

    Yesterday it was Coffee dissing the deep south. Today it's you and ballet. You people need to work on your analogies.
    True. Unfair to comare them when I have never done both. Apologies to all Ballets out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    In today's world, Tino was probably wrong. But that doesn't mean the player(s) didn't have it coming to them.
    No kid finishes last.

  4. #29
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Kingdom of Back

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I have to say, if Tino's accounts of the events are true (and I tend to believe him), then I can't blame him for his reactions toward these entitled, disrespectful little punks. I believe him because being disrespectful seems to be the norm in today's society and sometimes warped culture - even applauded; certainly more accepted than it was in the past. Maybe if these punks had a different upbringing it wouldn't have come to this.
    Probably had little league & HS coaches who had these kids' parents wanting to beat them up & sue them because the coach would correct them & demanded the same from the whole team, including the kids with better work ethic.

  5. #30
    Let's Go Yankees!!! Bozidar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Central CT

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I'm sure if Tino had to do it differently, he would, but only because he unsuspectingly became the bad guy in all of this. Sometimes enough is enough. Tino respectfully explained the proper procedure and etiquette that teammates have always adhered to at batting practice and they decided to respond like douchebags. That the poor little bitches were butt-hurt by his yelling and cursing, especially since Tino was right, says it all. They want to be tough guys and play by their own rules until confronted. The one incident where he grabbed a player by the uniform for being insubordinate, disrespectful and getting in Tino's face was a non-issue until that player was demoted. Even then he lied by saying Tino grabbed him by the neck, when there were witnesses claiming this wasn't true.
    I believe Tino. I believe him 100%. I still think it's ................ty leadership to get angry. It's not something that would be accepted in any other profession, why should it be accepted in coaching?

    I don't think he should have resigned, I think he should have kept his job and learned from this, but that didn't happen.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

  6. #31

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    I believe Tino. I believe him 100%. I still think it's ................ty leadership to get angry. It's not something that would be accepted in any other profession, why should it be accepted in coaching?
    Except for maybe the Ruggiano incident, it doesn't look like he "led with anger," it looks like he issued the most reasonable of orders and got riled up when a trio of bozos with a combined 268 career hits decided to out-bigtime Derek Jeter and openly defied said order.

    Actually, Martinez's worst transgression seems to be the Kotchman incident (implying that a player is jaking an injury is pretty serious business from all I've heard) but that's not what he got pushed out for.

    Young athletes making what most of us would consider big money (even the Marlins) will often tend to act in a more immature and entitled way than the typical wage slave would. I don't profess to know what the "right" formula for handling such individuals is, but I suspect there are going to be times when priestly persuasion is inadequate.

  7. #32
    Let's Go Yankees!!! Bozidar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Central CT

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Except for maybe the Ruggiano incident, it doesn't look like he "led with anger," it looks like he issued the most reasonable of orders and got riled up when a trio of bozos with a combined 268 career hits decided to out-bigtime Derek Jeter and openly defied said order.

    Actually, Martinez's worst transgression seems to be the Kotchman incident (implying that a player is jaking an injury is pretty serious business from all I've heard) but that's not what he got pushed out for.

    Young athletes making what most of us would consider big money (even the Marlins) will often tend to act in a more immature and entitled way than the typical wage slave would. I don't profess to know what the "right" formula for handling such individuals is, but I suspect there are going to be times when priestly persuasion is inadequate.
    He didn't have one incident, he had 3 incidents with 3 different players with the same problem, and never figured out that he was doing it wrong. The Kotchman incident is an even bigger red flag, to me.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

  8. #33

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    He didn't have one incident, he had 3 incidents with 3 different players with the same problem, and never figured out that he was doing it wrong. The Kotchman incident is an even bigger red flag, to me.
    I totally agree with you about the Kotchman incident. No excuse. However, the 3 incidents with 3 different players seemed to happen because those different 3 players were being ornery jagoffs over the same thing. It's protocol (and common courtesy) for them to help pick up the balls with their teammates, but for some reason, these 3 not only refused to, but chose to be insubordinate and confrontational. The fact that it was over the same thing probably got to Martinez. He's there to coach, not babysit.


  9. #34

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    He didn't have one incident, he had 3 incidents with 3 different players with the same problem, and never figured out that he was doing it wrong. The Kotchman incident is an even bigger red flag, to me.
    a. I never said there was one "incident."
    b. Perhaps he "never figured out he was doing it wrong" because no one appears to have complained until Dietrich got demoted?
    c. I'd certainly be open to hearing your insights as to the "right" way to handle blatantly insubordinate young professional athletes with clearly inflated views of their place in the baseball firmament. Not what you shouldn't say/do ... what would you say/do?
    d. Agreed about the Kotchman incident, and if Kotchman complained, hopefully someone in management gave Martinez the same talking to and chance that Tino gave the three future Hall of Famers to straighten up and fly right. It doesn't look like Kotchman did complain, but some reporter should ask him.

  10. #35
    Let's Go Yankees!!! Bozidar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Central CT

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    1) Have a veteran on the team explain it to them. Instead of telling Pierre that they'll "get it", enlist him. If the kids aren't listening to an authority figure, then maybe they'll listen to a peer.
    2) Try sitting them down outside of cage time, and explain how things work, and the why of it. Yelling : "You're part of the team" doesn't really explain it.
    3) Talk to the manager, maybe have him explain it.
    4) If he's got the authority, give them extra work to do - laps, drills, whatever. If not, find someone who does.

    He's the coach, an authority figure, he's got to lead not just yell. I agree that he was blindsided by this, and it was clearly a mistake to resign, but it doesn't mean he didn't make a mistake. it doesn't help that the vast majority of the team has very little MLB experience, so he doesn't have a big pool of vets in the clubhouse to keep these guys straight.

    I feel bad for him, but it doesn't change my mind that he made mistakes.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts