+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    #1 Yankee fan yankeesrule2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Marlins hitting coach Tino Martinez was poised to resign after a player notified the team Martinez erupted in anger unjustly and grabbed him by his neck and neck chain, according to multiple sources.

    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/2...#storylink=cpy
    Rich

  2. #2

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    If I was the Marlins hitting coach, I'd wanna choke someone out too.

  3. #3
    there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    "The Bad boy of baseball is back"

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    ...

    not surprised.
    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

  4. #4

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    If I was the Marlins hitting coach, I'd wanna choke someone out too.
    Eh, no excuse for this kind of crap. In general, I feel like this is one of the reasons baseball looks foolish. We all care so, so much if a guy takes steroids and act like he's a horrible human being for trying to be a better player. That person is a cheater, that's it.

    Stuff like the what's coming out about Tino will get brushed away and called "competitive" or "Hey, the Marlins hitters suck, what do you expect?" Well, that's crap. There is absolutely no excuse for being abusive - physically and verbally - toward players. None.

    I find these situations similar to when a guy gets busted for drinking and driving. There's a tiny bit of outrage and then that goes away and everything goes back to normal. But steroids, oh crap, that'll never go away and those people are evil. I think the priorities in these manners are totally out of whack.

    I love Tino the player for everything he did in the dynasty years. But, like so many others, he's clearly not the greatest human and I'm glad he resigned. He should have been canned, but, of course, his boss is another example of a crappy person.

  5. #5

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    I was kidding.

  6. #6
    Let's Go Yankees!!! Bozidar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Central CT

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    otb - they didn't accept his resignation. i think they'll find a replacement soon, though.

    If he's really having anger issues, I hope Tino finds some help.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

  7. #7

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    what a shame

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Bronx

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    totally didn't expect this....
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

  9. #9
    NYYF Cy Young

    BobLoblaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NH

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    That's disappointing....
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

  10. #10
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    They were probably making fun of his voice and he just snapped.
    Pardon, for us.

  11. #11

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Poor Tino...

  12. #12
    NYYF Legend

    GiambiRocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, NJ

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    They were probably making fun of his voice and he just snapped.
    Please don't let him back in the booth.
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

  13. #13

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBorder79 View Post
    Eh, no excuse for this kind of crap. In general, I feel like this is one of the reasons baseball looks foolish. We all care so, so much if a guy takes steroids and act like he's a horrible human being for trying to be a better player. That person is a cheater, that's it.

    Stuff like the what's coming out about Tino will get brushed away and called "competitive" or "Hey, the Marlins hitters suck, what do you expect?" Well, that's crap. There is absolutely no excuse for being abusive - physically and verbally - toward players. None.

    I find these situations similar to when a guy gets busted for drinking and driving. There's a tiny bit of outrage and then that goes away and everything goes back to normal. But steroids, oh crap, that'll never go away and those people are evil. I think the priorities in these manners are totally out of whack.

    I love Tino the player for everything he did in the dynasty years. But, like so many others, he's clearly not the greatest human and I'm glad he resigned. He should have been canned, but, of course, his boss is another example of a crappy person.
    Yes, agreed. Meanwhile, back at Fenway... cute, cuddly Papi goes into a Clemens-ish roid-rage, and....... ( I wonder what would've happened if he injured someone ? and his arm-flailing surely looks more forceful than a neck/jersey grab. ) Hypocrisy reigns by MLB.
    Last edited by RogerNatural; 07-29-13 at 09:08 AM. Reason: additional comments
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

  14. #14

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Post Roid Rage Syndrome.


  15. #15

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    They were probably making fun of his voice and he just snapped.
    You'd think he would be used to people making fun of his voice by now.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  16. #16
    NYYF Cy Young

    Messerwhitescooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the 'burbs

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerNatural View Post
    Yes, agreed. Meanwhile, back at Fenway... cute, cuddly Papi goes into a Clemens-ish roid-rage, and....... ( I wonder what would've happened if he injured someone ? and his arm-flailing surely looks more forceful than a neck/jersey grab. ) Hypocrisy reigns by MLB.
    So true.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

  17. #17

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Tino talks about the incidents. In this PC world we live in all I got to say is there is always two sides to an argument.

    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/t...ng-cage-072913
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

  18. #18
    Let's Go Yankees!!! Bozidar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Central CT

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Guy is not cut out to be a coach if that's how he reacts to kids not showing the respect they should. You don't lead with anger.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

  19. #19
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Tino talks about the incidents. In this PC world we live in all I got to say is there is always two sides to an argument.

    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/t...ng-cage-072913
    If it went down the way Tino is describing then I say good for Tino and it is a shame that he is out of a job because of this incident.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  20. #20

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    Guy is not cut out to be a coach if that's how he reacts to kids not showing the respect they should. You don't lead with anger.
    Poor little darlings!
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

  21. #21

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    If it went down the way Tino is describing then I say good for Tino and it is a shame that he is out of a job because of this incident.
    I agree, the article I read had him getting in people's faces and calling them out. Sure he dropped an F bomb but these are adults here. It's been confirmed by eye witnesses he grabbed someone's shirt, not throat too.

  22. #22
    Let's Go Yankees!!! Bozidar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Central CT

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Poor little darlings!
    I'm not saying the players were right, but that's just bad leadership. I could easily think of ways to handle that situation better.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

  23. #23
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Kingdom of Back

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Guess this helps explain why that team is among the most lethargic & pathetic in Baseball.

    From the link:

    Were Martinez’s problems simply a case of an old-school coach failing to relate to a new generation of players?

    Martinez said no, explaining that he had it much worse as a younger player, when coaches and veterans would hassle rookies every day. He emphasized, over and over, that his arguments with Marlins players were isolated incidents.

    Picking up balls in the batting cage, that’s what this was all about. Picking up balls in the batting cage, Tino Martinez couldn’t understand why it was such a problem.

    “If Bernie Williams and Paul O’Neill and Derek Jeter can pick balls up for everyone else, so can this guy here who has no time in the big leagues — that’s what was in my mind,” Martinez said. “That’s what burned me up a little bit on the days they didn’t do that. And it went on for days before I even said something.

    “It was one day, it was one outburst (with each player). I had just bottled it up for so long.
    “I had to say something. And that was it.”
    Agree with Yankees1962 -- those "Poor little darlings!" Let them get out of baseball and take up Ballet.

    HOFer Mike Schmidt was razzed umnercifully by the likes of Greg Luzinksi & Larry Bowa when he came up, and the insults were personal. Not defending those clods, but good thing for that franchise that Mike didn't go whining & crying about it, and let his work ethic speak for him instead.

  24. #24

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    Guess this helps explain why that team is among the most lethargic & pathetic in Baseball.

    From the link:



    Agree with Yankees1962 -- those "Poor little darlings!" Let them get out of baseball and take up Ballet.

    HOFer Mike Schmidt was razzed umnercifully by the likes of Greg Luzinksi & Larry Bowa when he came up, and the insults were personal. Not defending those clods, but good thing for that franchise that Mike didn't go whining & crying about it, and let his work ethic speak for him instead.
    Please. Ballet dancers work waaaay harder than baseball players.

    Yesterday it was Coffee dissing the deep south. Today it's you and ballet. You people need to work on your analogies.

  25. #25
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: Tino Martinez abusive to Marlins players

    In today's world, Tino was probably wrong. But that doesn't mean the player(s) didn't have it coming to them.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts