+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Re: 2013 Alfonso Soriano Performance Thread

he'll also be 38 next year. our team is going to be crazy old. nunez is like the only player in his 20's.

NYYF Legend

As soon as I catch the ball, I just took two or three seconds for me, he said. I realized I make the catch, and I wanted to enjoy it first, for two or three seconds, by myself, and after that I just throw the ball to the infielder.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/09/1...ame-notes-116/

Gotta love Soriano!

NYYF Legend

that catch was EPIC!!!!!!!!!
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Amazing catch & Sterling blew the call too!

happy that he's having fun
    always reasonable

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

is there video out there of the catch?
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    is there video out there of the catch?
    Here's a link.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Idk.....I don't think Soriano will produce like he has, but this isn't a crazy outlier season.
    No, but he's had crazy outlier HR power since coming to the Yankees. Bring that back to earth and he looks a whole lot less exciting.

I'd also like him better for next year if the supporting cast were different. Gardner/Soriano/Ichiro!/Wells - all under contract for next year - isn't exactly an outfield that dreams are made on.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    No, but he's had crazy outlier HR power since coming to the Yankees. Bring that back to earth and he looks a whole lot less exciting.

I'd also like him better for next year if the supporting cast were different. Gardner/Soriano/Ichiro!/Wells - all under contract for next year - isn't exactly an outfield that dreams are made on.
    Right. Ichiro had a similar surge (more BA than power, but still) and look how he's faring this year.

At least Soriano, even given what we can reasonably expect next year, is a more useful player than Ichiro.

His defense has been surprising--to me anyway.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    His defense has been surprising--to me anyway.
    In a good way.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    In a good way.
    Yes..
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post

Not even really an outlier when you look at it like that....his OPS since joining the yankees is almost the exact same as his OPS was last year. The only big differnece is he's hitting like .400 with RISP. Then again, he also had 110 RBI's last year, which he may not surpass this year. This added to the fact that Yankees stadium and the AL east in general have been extremely kind to his numbers makes me think he is not playing to out of sync with what his actual abilities are.

2012: 822 OPS
    2013 (With Yanks): 831 OPS

One of those players who is just meant to be a Yankee.

Quote Originally Posted by Joolazoo View Post
    Not even really an outlier when you look at it like that....his OPS since joining the yankees is almost the exact same as his OPS was last year. The only big differnece is he's hitting like .400 with RISP. Then again, he also had 110 RBI's last year, which he may not surpass this year. This added to the fact that Yankees stadium and the AL east in general have been extremely kind to his numbers makes me think he is not playing to out of sync with what his actual abilities are.

2012: 822 OPS
    2013 (With Yanks): 831 OPS
    His OPS may be similar, but that doesn't change the fact that he's been hitting home runs at a crazy, unsustainable pace.

15 HR in 193 PA. Over the 615 PA he had in 2012, that would be 48 HR. His HR% with the Yankees is 7.8%, way higher than he's ever had before.

The MLB leaders in HR%:
    Chris Davis, 8.1%
    Miguel Cabrera, 7.3%
    Edwin Encarnacin, 5.9%

I think it's safe to say that Soriano can't sustain anything like this HR surge.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information