+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Re: Braun accepts suspension for remainder of 2013 season

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    There was no open FedEx facility within 50 miles of the site of the sample collection.
    None that would ship Friday night or Saturday. Or so the collector believed - I don't know if that's been verified or not.

Honestly, I don't think a 100-mile drive should be an insurmountable obstacle to doing his job right.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    None that would ship Friday night or Saturday. Or so the collector believed - I don't know if that's been verified or not.

Honestly, I don't think a 100-mile drive should be an insurmountable obstacle to doing his job right.
    Yes. That's what he said. Being in the job for 5 years I suppose he would know about facilities in the area. And it's not far fetched to think CDT had an agreement in place that would limit the mileage their collectors were expected to travel.

Here's part of his statement:

"I completed my collections at Miller Park at approximately 5:00 p.m. Given the lateness of the hour that I completed my collections, there was no FedEx office located within 50 miles of Miller Park that would ship packages that day or Sunday.

"Therefore, the earliest that the specimens could be shipped was Monday, October 3. In that circumstance, CDT has instructed collectors since I began in 2005 that they should safeguard the samples in their homes until FedEx is able to immediately ship the sample to the laboratory, rather than having the samples sit for one day or more at a local FedEx office. The protocol has been in place since 2005 when I started with CDT and there have been other occasions when I have had to store samples in my home for at least one day, all without incident."

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post

You're expecting a guy with a family to drive 100 miles at 5pm just to drop off a parcel at a FedEx? It's one thing if this was a special case, but he probably takes collections every day.

Devoted Member

You know what I wonder about Ryan Braun...
    • He was Freshman of the Year in college with 17 HRs
    • Junior year batted .396 with 18 HRs
    • Minors: in 2+ years (199 games) hit 42 HRs
    • MLB Rookie of the Year in 2007 w/ 34 HRs
    • 2008 - 37 HRs
    • 2009 - 32 HRs
    • 2010 - 25 HRs
    • 2011 - 33 HRs
    • 2012 - 41 HRs
    So when did he start using steriods? Or, should I say, when was he not using steriods?

Quote Originally Posted by PinstripeDynasty View Post
    You're expecting a guy with a family to drive 100 miles at 5pm just to drop off a parcel at a FedEx? It's one thing if this was a special case, but he probably takes collections every day.
    And maybe he has to come home at 7 sometimes. People do it.

I would put the blame on CDT rather than on him. I believe that he was following their procedures, but their procedures did not fulfill their obligations to MLB.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PinstripeDynasty View Post
    You know what I wonder about Ryan Braun...
    • He was Freshman of the Year in college with 17 HRs
    • Junior year batted .396 with 18 HRs
    • Minors: in 2+ years (199 games) hit 42 HRs
    • MLB Rookie of the Year in 2007 w/ 34 HRs
    • 2008 - 37 HRs
    • 2009 - 32 HRs
    • 2010 - 25 HRs
    • 2011 - 33 HRs
    • 2012 - 41 HRs
    So when did he start using steriods? Or, should I say, when was he not using steriods?
    I am reluctant to even mention this because it is purely internet rumor from an anonymous message board poster but I'm a fan of the University of Miami football program and a poster on a Miami message board that I frequent claims that he knows for certain that Braun and many of the players on that Miami team were juicing in college. Again, internet rumor so take it for what it's worth.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/95...e-doping-fraud
    A longtime friend of Ryan Braun's filed a lawsuit against the suspended slugger last month, charging that Braun defamed him after the friend provided help in his successful appeal of Braun's positive steroid test in 2011.

Ralph Sasson, 29, makes a number of personal accusations against Braun, saying in the lawsuit that Braun doped through his years at the University of Miami, committed academic fraud and accepted money while a student.

NYYF Legend

If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    If he actually came clean- admitted to doping back to college days, then I'd be stunned

We're in for another " I was injured and used one time and I'm so, so, so, truly sorry.

F'em after his arrogant performance last year, don't let him buy credibility so cheaply.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

A true POS:

"Reports: Ryan Braun told players that collector was anti-Semite
    By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel Aug. 18, 2013

ESPN reported Sunday that the Brewers' suspended slugger tried to curry support with other players during the appeal of his positive drug test in 2011-'12, telling them collector Dino Laurenzi Jr. had an agenda against him as a Cubs fan as well as an anti-Semite. Braun is Jewish.

Yahoo! Sports has a similar report and says the Dodgers' Matt Kemp, Cincinnati's Joey Votto and Colorado's Troy Tulowitzki were among the players that Braun solicited.

ESPN cited three unnamed sources saying Braun called veteran players privately to lobby for their support while waiting for arbitrator Shyam Das' verdict on his appeal of a positive test for elevated testosterone levels in October 2011. By claiming Laurenzi was a Cubs fan, the inference was that he might try to harm the star of their divisional rival, the Brewers.
    "

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/220135051.html

The state whose symbol is...a pile of rubble

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    A true POS:

"Reports: Ryan Braun told players that collector was anti-Semite
    By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel Aug. 18, 2013

ESPN reported Sunday that the Brewers' suspended slugger tried to curry support with other players during the appeal of his positive drug test in 2011-'12, telling them collector Dino Laurenzi Jr. had an agenda against him as a Cubs fan as well as an anti-Semite. Braun is Jewish.

Yahoo! Sports has a similar report and says the Dodgers' Matt Kemp, Cincinnati's Joey Votto and Colorado's Troy Tulowitzki were among the players that Braun solicited.

ESPN cited three unnamed sources saying Braun called veteran players privately to lobby for their support while waiting for arbitrator Shyam Das' verdict on his appeal of a positive test for elevated testosterone levels in October 2011. By claiming Laurenzi was a Cubs fan, the inference was that he might try to harm the star of their divisional rival, the Brewers.
    "

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/220135051.html
    adding what I posted in the Arod thread:

I realize this is tangential, but considering it's been fleshed out in the last 24 hours, let's be clear that whatever Arod has done and whatever you think of his current strategies, it now appears that Ryan Braun is several orders of magnitude more despicable. Buster Olney has been fleshing out the story that Braun, while appealing his suspension elicited support from tons of players across all of MLB telling them the story that he had discovered that the urine collector was a Cub fan and an anti-semite and that's why his samples were tampered with.

Let's be clear as I posted before: Braun's Dad is Jewish, his Mother is Catholic, Judiasim considers birth inheritance of religion to be matrilinial, so he is not considered Jewish. He was brought up in a household with NO religious training or observance. He was NOT bar mitzvahed. He has NEVER been a member of any Jewish temple. This is tantamount to 'pulling the race card' while applying cork black to your face a la Al Jolson. You cannot get any lower.

So Braun released a long statement/apology and used the same "recovering from injury and only used it for a short time" excuse that so many before him have. I believe Brian Roberts was the first to use it and many many others have followed suit.
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

NYYF Legend

Now that the initial MLB investigation is over, I want to apologize for my actions and provide a more specific account of what I did and why I deserved to be suspended. I have no one to blame but myself. I know that over the last year and a half I made some serious mistakes, both in the information I failed to share during my arbitration hearing and the comments I made to the press afterwards.

I have disappointed the people closest to me -- the ones who fought for me because they truly believed me all along. I kept the truth from everyone. For a long time, I was in denial and convinced myself that I had not done anything wrong.

It is important that people understand that I did not share details of what happened with anyone until recently. My family, my teammates, the Brewers organization, my friends, agents, and advisors had no knowledge of these facts, and no one should be blamed but me. Those who put their necks out for me have been embarrassed by my behavior. I don't have the words to express how sorry I am for that.

Here is what happened. During the latter part of the 2011 season, I was dealing with a nagging injury and I turned to products for a short period of time that I shouldn't have used. The products were a cream and a lozenge which I was told could help expedite my rehabilitation. It was a huge mistake for which I am deeply ashamed and I compounded the situation by not admitting my mistakes immediately.

I deeply regret many of the things I said at the press conference after the arbitrator's decision in February 2012. At that time, I still didn't want to believe that I had used a banned substance. I think a combination of feeling self righteous and having a lot of unjustified anger led me to react the way I did. I felt wronged and attacked, but looking back now, I was the one who was wrong. I am beyond embarrassed that I said what I thought I needed to say to defend my clouded vision of reality. I am just starting the process of trying to understand why I responded the way I did, which I continue to regret. There is no excuse for any of this.

For too long during this process, I convinced myself that I had not done anything wrong. After my interview with MLB in late June of this year, I came to the realization that it was time to come to grips with the truth. I was never presented with baseball's evidence against me, but I didn't need to be, because I knew what I had done. I realized the magnitude of my poor decisions and finally focused on dealing with the realities of-and the punishment for-my actions.

I requested a second meeting with Baseball to acknowledge my violation of the drug policy and to engage in discussions about appropriate punishment for my actions. By coming forward when I did and waiving my right to appeal any sanctions that were going to be imposed, I knew I was making the correct decision and taking the first step in the right direction. It was important to me to begin my suspension immediately to minimize the burden on everyone I had so negatively affected -- my teammates, the entire Brewers organization, the fans and all of MLB. There has been plenty of rumor and speculation about my situation, and I am aware that my admission may result in additional attacks and accusations from others.

I love the great game of baseball and I am very sorry for any damage done to the game. I have privately expressed my apologies to Commissioner Selig and Rob Manfred of MLB and to Michael Weiner and his staff at the Players' Association. I'm very grateful for the support I've received from them. I sincerely apologize to everybody involved in the arbitration process, including the collector, Dino Laurenzi, Jr. I feel terrible that I put my teammates in a position where they were asked some very difficult and uncomfortable questions. One of my primary goals is to make amends with them.

I understand it's a blessing and a tremendous honor to play this game at the Major League level. I also understand the intensity of the disappointment from teammates, fans, and other players. When it comes to both my actions and my words, I made some very serious mistakes and I can only ask for the forgiveness of everyone I let down. I will never make the same errors again and I intend to share the lessons I learned with others so they don't repeat my mistakes. Moving forward, I want to be part of the solution and no longer part of the problem.

I support baseball's Joint Drug Treatment and Prevention Program and the importance of cleaning up the game. What I did goes against everything I have always valued -- achieving through hard work and dedication, and being honest both on and off the field. I also understand that I will now have to work very, very hard to begin to earn back people's trust and support.I am dedicated to making amends and to earning back the trust of my teammates, the fans, the entire Brewers' organization, my sponsors, advisors and from MLB. I am hopeful that I can earn back the trust from those who I have disappointed and those who are willing to give me the opportunity. I am deeply sorry for my actions, and I apologize to everyone who has been adversely affected by them.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Would love to see the dbag address his anti semitism

He went the " limited use/injury " route- should have saved his breath

Did he consult w/ Bosch on this aplolgy ?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Would love to see the dbag address his anti semitism

He went the " limited use/injury " route- should have saved his breath

Did he consult w/ Bosch on this aplolgy ?
    He did the smart thing - by accepting the suspension and thus sealing/suppressing the evidence, he can make up pretty much whatever story he wants.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Here is what happened. During the latter part of the 2011 season, I was
    dealing with a nagging injury and I turned to products for a short period of
    time that I shouldn't have used.

Hang on. After nothing but strings of lies, I am to believe this? He just did a quick Andy Pettitte?

Please.....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

blah blah blah blah. I'd rather they just all stay quiet. There is no string of words that anyone can put together that doesn't make me not hear "I'm sorry I was caught". Just move on and be elite again. If not, sucks for you. Enjoy your money.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

I would have been more likely to believe "I put the cream in my hand, but I didn't rub it in". Or, "I didn't let the lozenge dissolve"
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Thread Information