+ Reply to Thread
Page 224 of 277 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 234 274 ... LastLast
Results 5,576 to 5,600 of 6905
  1. #5576

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I don't know, but I also wonder if there might be something specific in NY state law - as opposed to federal law - that might work to Rodriguez's advantage and against MLB's
    YogiKnows spends more time in court and probably knows this better than I remember it, but I don't think that really matters. If claiming a violation of state law, moving to federal court (if appropriate) doesn't get rid of the state law claim. The federal court may hear the state law claims, but it's still state law. Of course, the federal court might interpret state law differently than the state itself would in that particular case. I think case law is still divided on a federal court's discretion when interpreting state law.


  2. #5577
    Released Outright YogiKnows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The state whose symbol is...a pile of rubble

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    YogiKnows spends more time in court and probably knows this better than I remember it, but I don't think that really matters. If claiming a violation of state law, moving to federal court (if appropriate) doesn't get rid of the state law claim. The federal court may hear the state law claims, but it's still state law. Of course, the federal court might interpret state law differently than the state itself would in that particular case. I think case law is still divided on a federal court's discretion when interpreting state law.
    Choice of laws was a full semester long long ago but yeah you have it correct: there is no Federal law concerning interference torts and the federal court has to apply the applicable state law which means NY, there is nothing particularly unique about NY law in these areas, only that there is more case precedent than in many/most states. The main difference here remains that Federal judges won't allow the nonsense you can often get away with in a state court.

  3. #5578
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philly Burbs

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Just realized that this partial season of his dropped his career batting average below .300 to .299, I bet that irks him. I remember reading once it always annoyed Mantle that he finished his career at .298 instead of .300.

  4. #5579
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Just realized that this partial season of his dropped his career batting average below .300 to .299, I bet that irks him. I remember reading once it always annoyed Mantle that he finished his career at .298 instead of .300.
    I think he's more irked that his prospective contract value is now well under 300.........million.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  5. #5580
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    He's irreplaceable, according to Cashman:

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...n-cashman-says

  6. #5581
    The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    On the bench

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    He's irreplaceable, according to Cashman:

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...n-cashman-says
    I'd like to think that was a deliberately crafted public statement designed to protect the Yankees against ARod and Tacopina.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  7. #5582
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I'd like to think that was a deliberately crafted public statement designed to protect the Yankees against ARod and Tacopina.
    Yeah, with all the lawsuits flying around, I don't really think there's anything else he could say
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  8. #5583
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I'd like to think that was a deliberately crafted public statement designed to protect the Yankees against ARod and Tacopina.
    Why not just see it as the simple, unvarnished truth?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  9. #5584
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    At this rate his arb hearing might be as long as his suspension. How can it take this long to hear this case?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  10. #5585
    NYYF Cy Young

    BeantownYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sterling, Ma

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    At this rate his arb hearing might be as long as his suspension. How can it take this long to hear this case?
    I'm guessing we may not hear anything until after the World Series as not to take away from the fall classic as Arod has done before...
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

  11. #5586
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownYankee View Post
    I'm guessing we may not hear anything until after the World Series as not to take away from the fall classic as Arod has done before...
    May be true. Supposedly, there's also a ton of evidence the arbitrator needs to sift through.

    I just hope it's done before FA opens so the Yankees have some idea of what they are dealing with.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  12. #5587
    NYYF Triple Crown

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I just hope it's done before FA opens so the Yankees have some idea of what they are dealing with.
    I've been thinking all along that Yankee spending this offseason will be contingent on whether A-Rod gets suspended for the whole season or not. My thinking has been if they don't have to pay him $25M they can use that money for FAs in addition to re-signing Cano, i.e. signing Tanaka and McCann, perhaps even an outfielder.

    I read an interesting tidbit yesterday suggesting that perhaps if A-Rod's suspension is lowered to 50-80 games and they have to pay him, they'll scrap the whole "stay-below-$189M plan" since it can't be achieved without fielding a non-contending team. which Hal Steinbrenner claims he'll never do.

    I'm really looking forward to November, when we'll have a clearer understanding of exactly what their approach will be.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  13. #5588
    NYYF MVP

    NoodleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    The Yankees need Alex, and so do the fans!

  14. #5589
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    The Yankees need Alex, and so do the fans!
    I'll take him in game #101 for $10M

  15. #5590
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Now in Section 312

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    After what the Yankees ran out there at third base during the 2013 season, I want the entire suspension lifted. Zero games.
    Alex is the best option for them at third base in 2014. (my opinion)
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  16. #5591

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    After what the Yankees ran out there at third base during the 2013 season, I want the entire suspension lifted. Zero games.
    Alex is the best option for them at third base in 2014. (my opinion)
    But the issue is, is that increased production worth the salary they would like to not have to pay him?

    It could be rolled over into Beltran, Tanaka or other more cost efficient options
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

  17. #5592

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Honestly, yes. .800 ops 3bs are very valuable.

    Assuming hes healthy, he could be 2nd or third best 3b in 2014.

  18. #5593
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Honestly, yes. .800 ops 3bs are very valuable.

    Assuming hes healthy, he could be 2nd or third best 3b in 2014.
    I am guessing you are going Miggy with best.

    Second or third after Miggy? Over.....

    Longoria?
    Beltre?
    Donaldson?
    Johnson?
    Zimmerman?

    Remember, ARod has really declined defensively, never mind he is unlikely to outhit any of the above.


    I also think we have seen the last of .800 OPS from ARod. I think .750-.775 is possible, and nothing to sneeze at either.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  19. #5594

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Honestly, yes. .800 ops 3bs are very valuable.

    Assuming hes healthy, he could be 2nd or third best 3b in 2014.
    25M valuable?

    Don't think so
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

  20. #5595

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    He gets a whole lot of people to tune into the games.

  21. #5596

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    "when healthy"

  22. #5597
    NYYF Triple Crown

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Expecting Alex to provide significant production in 2014 and beyond is a pipe dream. He's failed to play 100 games two out of the last three years. His OPS has been in decline for seven straight years. Plus, he'll turn 39 before July ends. If he doesn't get suspended and is eligible to play all season, he's a lock for DL stints, plenty of days off to rest his ailing bones, and continued power decline. In my opinion, the money saved would be much better spent shoring up several other positions as another poster suggested, no matter who else they get to play third base.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  23. #5598
    Addicted Member
    LongtimeNYYFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Parts Unknown

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    The Yankees need Alex, and so do the fans!
    I'm a fan and I don't need or want him.

  24. #5599
    Addicted Member
    LongtimeNYYFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Parts Unknown

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I am guessing you are going Miggy with best.

    Second or third after Miggy? Over.....

    Longoria?
    Beltre?
    Donaldson?
    Johnson?
    Zimmerman?
    Let's not forget Machado.

  25. #5600
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Now in Section 312

    Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

    First - I don't really think about the money. That is the concern of the Yankees.
    They paid him that money for the production they've already received. These remaining years are sunken costs as far as I'm concerned.

    Second - since the Yankees don't have Cabrera, Longoria, or any of the others, Alex becomes the best option. Unless there is a superstar 3rd baseman available.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts