+ Reply to Thread
Page 215 of 277 FirstFirst ... 115 165 205 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 225 265 ... LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,375 of 6905

Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

The only way for Al to gain the upper hand in terms of PR would be to come out and admit he's been a habitual user, apologize and then say that the rest of the charges against him are a personal vendetta by MLB and a severe overcharge

That position would have traction till the arb's ruling and any further leaks by MLB would be diminished in impact

Once the arb rules, and we all know he'll reduce the suspension , he can claim vindication

I don't see it ever happening, though.

One- Al's ego won't let the drugs take any credit for his success.

Two- Tacobella has already floated the idea of Bosch as a "consultant" not a supplier
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

The state whose symbol is...a pile of rubble

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    I'd like to nominate ftw for NYYfans "COMMISSIONER OF KEEPIN' IT REAL"
    He does move around, last week he's on the veranda of the Plantation, now he's lecturing us all on what's going down in the 'hood.

What a play from A-rod to prevent 3 runs from scoring!

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yanksftw View Post
    again you need to step out from the bubble of white fenced suburbia. the perception of alex in the inner cities is far from what you perceive
    Yeah, but those people don't count.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

I heard he plays bones with Tarasco in the offseason. at the idea that A-Rod has street cred on any level that matters.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I heard he plays bones with Tarasco in the offseason. at the idea that A-Rod has street cred on any level that matters.
    I know...in 2013, jeter doesn't even have street cred. Arod might as well be the lead singer of Fleetwood Mac.

NYYF Legend

If this has been posted elsewhere on the forum, I didn't see it.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/96...-espn-magazine
    Over the past week, The Mag's Confidential team interviewed 36 MLB pitchers, all of whom were promised anonymity. When asked point-blank "Do you want to bean Alex Rodriguez?" not a single player answered yes. In a followup question about risking an ejection to make a statement, only one pitcher said hitting A-Rod would be worth getting tossed. In fact, several went out of their way to condemn Dempster. "That was just bush-league baseball," said one veteran star. "Hitting guys is a part of the game, but only when the situation calls for it. That situation didn't call for it. When you're throwing 90 mph fastballs at people, you need to take caution with that kind of responsibility."

As the results below show, overall, players sounded like they might not particularly like Rodriguez, but they don't dislike him, either. When asked whether he should be able to play during his appeal (something John Lackey and Evan Longoria both publicly disagreed with recently), 83.3 percent said yes. "We collectively bargained for that right, and I would want it myself," said an NL starting pitcher. "I think in our hearts, many of us have a hard time seeing a good player able to play in a playoff hunt when he did something that will probably end up getting him a suspension. But it is his right, and that should be supported."

There also appears to be an undercurrent of anger toward MLB and, specifically, Bud Selig. When presented with the statement "True or false: You'd be surprised how many players think A-Rod has been targeted unfairly by MLB," 47.1 percent answered true. Many pitchers expressed frustration with Selig, saying they didn't understand how the same commissioner who oversaw the game during the McGwire/Sosa/Bonds era is now cracking down on PEDs. "It's hard to take Bud seriously at this point," said an NL starting pitcher. "I think A-Rod is a cheater, but come on. You can't blame him for all of the sins of the past."

NYYF Legend

Thanks for posting that, Eldee5! I would like to know who the "Perennial All-Star pitcher who sides with A-Rod" is:

"I would hope a big percentage of players would side with A-Rod. We're family. We all fight together for one cause and, like it or not, with what he did, there's a basic agreement. You start giving into stuff like that and we become weaker."

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Thanks for posting that, Eldee5! I would like to know who the "Perennial All-Star pitcher who sides with A-Rod" is:
    Clemens?

verlander mebbe
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Clemens?

After reading the article, I got the impression that they only talked to current players.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Mariano?

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Mariano?
    I doubt someone about to retire would care that much about the strength of the union.

The state whose symbol is...a pile of rubble

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    If this has been posted elsewhere on the forum, I didn't see it.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/96...-espn-magazine
    Amazing, Arod tells his 'team' to quit the endless BS and suddenly the only news is this ? I am breathlessly awaiting the MLB High School popularity poll to see if he's voted "Most Likely to Litigate".

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YogiKnows View Post
    Amazing, Arod tells his 'team' to quit the endless BS and suddenly the only news is this ? I am breathlessly awaiting the MLB High School popularity poll to see if he's voted "Most Likely to Litigate".
    Well, I think MLB ceasing it's own endless stream of half-truths and innuendo helped as well - likely a calmer head told the to both relax.

As for the poll, it's not surprising that the players realized that Bud was being overly vindictive. It's not going to help him when A-Rod's suspension gets cut significantly.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Well, I think MLB ceasing it's own endless stream of half-truths and innuendo helped as well - likely a calmer head told the to both relax.

As for the poll, it's not surprising that the players realized that Bud was being overly vindictive. It's not going to help him when A-Rod's suspension gets cut significantly.
    I'm not really going to put too much stock into an anonymous poll of 36 pitchers. They could themselves be current/former PED users. They could be teammates. That's a throwaway poll IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'm not really going to put too much stock into an anonymous poll of 36 pitchers. They could themselves be current/former PED users. They could be teammates. That's a throwaway poll IMHO.
    I'm not going to take it as gospel, but it's probably around 10% of ML pitchers, so it's better than the hearsay on here. Added to Ortiz's comments, where he called out his own pitcher a bit, and likely some Union pressure (along the lines of what Girardi was talking about in Boston), I'd expect the players to be suspicious of Bud.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Devoted Member

At this rate he is going to be very close and may be surpass WIllie Mays on the all time HR list by season's end.THe Yankees, if it led to a few postseason gates, would probably sign the $6 million bonus check right now if the playoff berth was a given.
    pitching, pitching and pitching

Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    At this rate he is going to be very close and may be surpass WIllie Mays on the all time HR list by season's end.THe Yankees, if it led to a few postseason gates, would probably sign the $6 million bonus check right now if the playoff berth was a given.
    I suspect they'd rather pay it now than have it potentially hanging over their luxury tax number next year if he plays

NYYF Legend

I suspect they'd rather pay it now than have it potentially hanging over their luxury tax number next year if he plays
    This!
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

ARod's HR milestone bonuses do not count towards the luxury tax.

A-Rod’s homerun milestone bonuses will not count towards the luxury tax. Signing bonuses, awards bonuses, and playing time bonuses do count towards the tax, but apparently not milestone bonuses. Alex will get $6M each for his 660th, 714th, 755th, 762nd, and 763rd career homers. He’s at 631 career dingers right now.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2012/04/sta...ury-tax-67259/
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    ARod's HR milestone bonuses do not count towards the luxury tax.

http://riveraveblues.com/2012/04/sta...ury-tax-67259/
    Thanks. Now that you say that, I remember it. That's good news.

NYYF MVP

Hey guys and girls hello, it's nice to be in here posting while the Yanks are playing well, and we also dodged a huge bullet last night when Cano got drilled off his hand hand while hitting.. Thank God everything turned out well for us and Cano, and the Yankees who are now capable of winning, we'll also need a fair and even shot by home plate umpires...

If the Yankee games are called fairly at the plate, I'm pretty sure that we could hit even the aces of most good staffs.. We're not gonna win every game we play, but even at our advanced age we can give any team a game of it... I'm proud of what we're doing, win lose or draw, after what the Yankees have been through..

We all know that the odds are against us, and to think that Soriano will stay this smoking hot is wishful thinking, even so it's possible!! Even Alex after having double hip and a knee surgery has been better than expected, and is still capable of hitting the ball a country mile when he connects.. It makes me happy and proud to know that Alex dug deep and at the very least, he helped to make this Yankee lineup better..

Just remember that anything can happen in Baseball, so we'll just keep our fingers crossed and hope that a few things go our way!

Isn't the degree of vindictiveness still to be determined?

If Al ratted out Braun and Cervelli contra the rules of the CBA, tried to buy evidence to bury it, and if all the other leaked allegations prove to be true ( and I believe MLB has the evidence to back up the claims ) then the suspension would be justified. Of course everyone expects the arbitrator to reduce the penalty because they almost always do even in cases where things are cut and dry.

Seems like Braun would have been the better target for a vendetta with his despicable performance after he got off on the technicality. Yet, they only added 15 games on to his suspension.

Sure MLB has had Al in it's sights for years- he's a very high profile entity and living in that zip code begets scrutiny, but "they're picking on me" doesn't seem to be a good defense

We'll have to se what the arb decides. The easy choice would be to reduce the pernalty so that he misses the entire '14 season. Anything less than that is the arb saying that MLB overcharged
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Isn't the degree of vindictiveness still to be determined?

If Al ratted out Braun and Cervelli contra the rules of the CBA, tried to buy evidence to bury it, and if all the other leaked allegations prove to be true ( and I believe MLB has the evidence to back up the claims ) then the suspension would be justified. Of course everyone expects the arbitrator to reduce the penalty because they almost always do even in cases where things are cut and dry.

Seems like Braun would have been the better target for a vendetta with his despicable performance after he got off on the technicality. Yet, they only added 15 games on to his suspension.

Sure MLB has had Al in it's sights for years- he's a very high profile entity and living in that zip code begets scrutiny, but "they're picking on me" doesn't seem to be a good defense

We'll have to se what the arb decides. The easy choice would be to reduce the pernalty so that he misses the entire '14 season. Anything less than that is the arb saying that MLB overcharged
    Yes and No.

If you're speaking about how well the punishment fits the crime -- yes, that's up to the arbitrator to decide, after reviewing evidence that we have only a hint at. We do know that the Union, which seemed to be invested in having this settled, thought the proposal MLB made to A-Rod was out of line, but clearly they aren't the most objective stakeholder in this.

If you're talking about the leaking and innuendo - I don't think that was necessary or supportable. If they have the goods on A-Rod, go after him. But the way that all played out didn't help anyone, and it's not going to help convince an arbitrator either.

Thread Information