+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 277 FirstFirst ... 29 69 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 89 129 179 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 6905

Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    On what grounds would they take it to Federal Court?
    Defamation like they did in the NFL

NYYF Legend

Unfair labor practices?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Wait--Federal grounds, right?

Trick question?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

I thought Hinkey was the guy who shot Reagan.
    Incorrect: http://www.retroland.com/wp-content/..._hero_650x.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    And since he was most likely put in as a PH in a clutch situation, his abject failure in those situations speaks volumes.

And the last three years, he has been worse than awful.

For his post-season career, he has more K's (75) than hits (72).

In the last 3 seasons, 24 K's, 12 Hits.
    Looks like he's only a little bit worse than Mr. October himself. Reggie Jackson career playoff stats: 78 hits, 70 strike outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Metroidman View Post
    Defamation like they did in the NFL
    The lawsuit which was dismissed? Goodell didn't lose in court. The player suspensions which were overturned were overturned by an appeal within the NFL CBA.

Since there is an antitrust exemption wouldnt it automatically go to the feral court?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    It's funny... because I don't know what half of those words mean, but then I notice that you used the wrong "you're".
    It's not surprising that someone who tried to marginalize a beloved member of his favorite franchise for a cheap pot shot at a poster he disagreed with would be smarmy about an autocorrect error rather than defend his ridiculously stupid post.

Quote Originally Posted by South Facing Epitaph View Post
    Did someone try to throw a Yankee legend under the bus in deference to steroid cheat? Some of you are so gripped by cognitive dissonance and misguided enlightened contrarianism, and conspiratorial persecution hysteria that you're going to bat for a corpse who's crippled your favorite baseball team with a reprehensible contract that he earned by abusing drugs.
    All I can say is youre just lucky ARod is not smart enough to understand this quote.

The state whose symbol is...a pile of rubble

Any first year law student could work up in a week a complaint with at least 50 counts...now understand, 40 would have virtually zero merit, but that's how you plead, a few could argue under parsing of the CBA (that's going to be very difficult if the Union isn't a party plaintiff also), a few attacking the powers of the Commissioner directly and in that case also attacking, at least in part the underlying exemption that makes baseball unique:

Federal Baseball Club v. National League - 259 U.S. 200 (1922).. majority opinion by Oliver Wendell Holmes, no less. Baseball is not interstate commerce and not subject to the monopoly laws that govern such commerce.

This has been tried a few times, in at least one case in punting (and refusing to reverse) the Supreme Court opined that 'even if baseball was interstate commerce', Congress' failure to ever pass explicit law making it subject to the Sherman Act meant they expected the MLB exemption to continue.

Then add several dozen counts attacking the underlying evidence on all sorts of grounds and claim the Commissioner's decision is unfair and denies due process. Yes, this is exactly conflating your legal civil rights with those available as an employee of a private business, a legal monopoly no less... but that's how you plead: You throw everything you can think of against the wall and hope something sticks...
    Last edited by YogiKnows; 07-30-13 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelling

His lawyer needs a new boat ?
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    His lawyer needs a new boat ?
    Boat or no boat, ARod is up a tree with no pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Since there is an antitrust exemption wouldnt it automatically go to the feral court?
    The lawyers there are jackals.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Ok, I'm starting a new game show. It's time to play... Guess who has the highest career postseason OPS!!!!

Contestant number one! Joe DiMaggio! One of the all time Yankee greats with too many World Series wins to count! But one thing's for sure, the Yankees retired his number, so he clearly must have performed when it really counts: October!

Contestant number two! Paul O'Neill! He's known as the warrior, and boy was he a fan favorite! And if you know Yankee fans like I know Yankee fans, you'll know that they don't call just anyone a fan favorite. With four World Series wins and rumors of his number being retired, you can bet the farm that he was quite the producer in the playoffs!

Contestant number three! Roger Maris! Another Yankee great most famous for breaking Babe Ruth's single season home run record! Although he only had two World Series wins in pinstripes, he played on some of the greatest Yankee teams of all time, and had his number retired to show for it. Surely breaking the home run record prepared him to be a truly clutch player in October?

Contestant number four! Yogi Berra! I think he has about 47 World Series rings, his number is retired, and he's still a fan favorite to this day. And if you want to win in October, you have to produce in October! I think it's pretty safe to say, he performed pretty well in the playoffs!

Contestant number five! Alex Rodriguez! This loser only has one stupid World Series ring (the lowest of all our contestants). He's hated by Yankee fans for being an unclutch d-bag and is famous for striking out a lot in big spots! His number will never be retired, and he might even be banned from baseball! I think it's pretty safe to say, that he sucks!

So folks... WHO HAS THE HIGHEST CAREER POSTSEASON OPS?!?!?!

(hint, it's the unclutch d-bag... and yes, I am aware that I should get back to work).

Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    Ok, I'm starting a new game show. It's time to play... Guess who has the highest career postseason OPS!!!!

Contestant number one! Joe DiMaggio! One of the all time Yankee greats with too many World Series wins to count! But one thing's for sure, the Yankees retired his number, so he clearly must have performed when it really counts: October!

Contestant number two! Paul O'Neill! He's known as the warrior, and boy was he a fan favorite! And if you know Yankee fans like I know Yankee fans, you'll know that they don't call just anyone a fan favorite. With four World Series wins and rumors of his number being retired, you can bet the farm that he was quite the producer in the playoffs!

Contestant number three! Roger Maris! Another Yankee great most famous for breaking Babe Ruth's single season home run record! Although he only had two World Series wins in pinstripes, he played on some of the greatest Yankee teams of all time, and had his number retired to show for it. Surely breaking the home run record prepared him to be a truly clutch player in October?

Contestant number four! Yogi Berra! I think he has about 47 World Series rings, his number is retired, and he's still a fan favorite to this day. And if you want to win in October, you have to produce in October! I think it's pretty safe to say, he performed pretty well in the playoffs!

Contestant number five! Alex Rodriguez! This loser only has one stupid World Series ring (the lowest of all our contestants). He's hated by Yankee fans for being an unclutch d-bag and is famous for striking out a lot in big spots! His number will never be retired, and he might even be banned from baseball! I think it's pretty safe to say, that he sucks!

So folks... WHO HAS THE HIGHEST CAREER POSTSEASON OPS?!?!?!

(hint, it's the unclutch d-bag... and yes, I am aware that I should get back to work).
    ultimate proof that there are lies, damned lies and statistics. Small sample sizes make for numbers that prove nothing.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YogiKnows View Post
    Ahhh....interesting.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Ahhh....interesting.
    I'm aware those numbers all skew high as a 3 year average of 'the regular top MLB players' eliminating those who didn't play regularly, so should probably be taken more as showing relative position OPS, but as they mention the stat too easily gets volatile..so just how misleading do you want your numbers to be ?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    well played
    Baseball is life;

Any first year law student could work up in a week a complaint with at least 50 counts...now understand, 40 would have virtually zero merit, but that's how you plead, a few could argue under parsing of the CBA (that's going to be very difficult if the Union isn't a party plaintiff also), a few attacking the powers of the Commissioner directly and in that case also attacking, at least in part the underlying exemption that makes baseball unique:

Federal Baseball Club v. National League - 259 U.S. 200 (1922).. majority opinion by Oliver Wendell Holmes, no less. Baseball is not interstate commerce and not subject to the monopoly laws that govern such commerce.

This has been tried a few times, in at least one case in punting (and refusing to reverse) the Supreme Court opined that 'even if baseball was interstate commerce', Congress' failure to ever pass explicit law making it subject to the Sherman Act meant they expected the MLB exemption to continue.

Then add several dozen counts attacking the underlying evidence on all sorts of grounds and claim the Commissioner's decision is unfair and denies due process. Yes, this is exactly conflating your legal civil rights with those available as an employee of a private business, a legal monopoly no less... but that's how you plead: You throw everything you can think of against the wall and hope something sticks...
    The antitrust exemption might not survive another court challenge, but it has nothing to do with this situation. The Commissioner's authority here isn't imposed by MLB, it's collectively bargained with the MLBPA. That's also why any of their other claims would be thrown out of court. Unless they're claiming some outright violation of labor law that would render the CBA illegal, they'll never make it into court.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    good 1

NYYF Legend

ultimate proof that there are lies, damned lies and statistics. Small sample sizes make for numbers that prove nothing.
    and yet that is exactly what you were doing earlier. no?

by the way, I'm not a fan of Alex or what he's done but I think the railroading he's getting by MLB is unfair and a complete double standard. Unless MLB is going to go for a life time ban on every cheat then is really little more than kangaroo justice MLB is trying to force down Alex's throat.
    Baseball is life;

The antitrust exemption might not survive another court challenge, but it has nothing to do with this situation. The Commissioner's authority here isn't imposed by MLB, it's collectively bargained with the MLBPA. That's also why any of their other claims would be thrown out of court. Unless they're claiming some outright violation of labor law that would render the CBA illegal, they'll never make it into court.
    No, you can "make it into Court" with anything. I could file a federal case against MLB tomorrow...as long as I plead that the case is worth over $10,000 and you either have 'diversity' (the plaintiff and defendant are domiciled in different states) or the suit involves a question of constitutional law, you have a case. Even if it's defective on it's face, the Court doesn't throw it out until the other party makes a motion to dismiss. Pretrial motions and briefs arguing about such matters can take months, if the court is persuaded there is ANY count or issue of merit, we then proceed to discovery... in NY Southern District I'll make that last well over a year...easy.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

I'm aware those numbers all skew high as a 3 year average of 'the regular top MLB players' eliminating those who didn't play regularly, so should probably be taken more as showing relative position OPS, but as they mention the stat too easily gets volatile..so just how misleading do you want your numbers to be ?
    Are you being rhetorical? I'll answer anyways.

Beside the fact you brought up, the fact that there is a decline in hitting over the past five years due to steroid testing (supposedly), and the slightly subjective nature of what constitutes a starter, I think it's a useful tool. Hence......interesting.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    and yet that is exactly what you were doing earlier. no?

by the way, I'm not a fan of Alex or what he's done but I think the railroading he's getting by MLB is unfair and a complete double standard. Unless MLB is going to go for a life time ban on every cheat then is really little more than kangaroo justice MLB is trying to force down Alex's throat.
    sorry I don't recall where I used stats ? No system of law is ever applied equally or fairly. In Alex's case it's not a question of civil rights, it's your rights as an employee and the rule there forever has been "Don't piss off your boss". In any event Alex may yet get an open and 'fairer hearing'... except he may not want us all to see the evidence, time will tell. I don't think a dying man like Weiner is much concerned with anything but the truth and protecting his Union members, if Alex is treated in a grossly unfair manner, I expect we'll be hearing from them, if not, it means Alex's natural allies don't have the stomach to defend him.

I just think MLB is looking to set an example of A-rod to other players. Fair or not fair, it is what it is.

Thread Information