+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 277 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Bottom line is that the Yankees are stuck with him and they need him to produce if they want to have a real chance of making a run.
    Don't totally agree...the Yankees are in second place right now..a half game out of the wild card race and I don't think he's going to be able to contribute anything anyway. The guy seems still not to be able to run. i mean...if he can't run comfortably now, why would repeated running over the next three weeks help that situation?

I'd be more optomistic if it was just a slow bat or general timing issues. As it stands now, it doesn't seem he can move. This goes past the point of needing to catch up to the speed of the game. He can't run beyond a glorified trot at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Don't totally agree...the Yankees are in second place right now..a half game out of the wild card race and I don't think he's going to be able to contribute anything anyway. The guy seems still not to be able to run. i mean...if he can't run comfortably now, why would repeated running over the next three weeks help that situation?

I'd be more optomistic if it was just a slow bat or general timing issues. As it stands now, it doesn't seem he can move. This goes past the point of needing to catch up to the speed of the game. He can't run beyond a glorified trot at this point.
    He said he can't run comfortably? I haven't read anything about that.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Their run differential is 0 and their offense is 11th in the league. If they really want to make a run in the second half, they need A-Rod (plus Jeter and Granderson) to produce.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I don't think it is a big leap to say he will be an improvement over Luis Cruz.

i mean...if he can't run comfortably now, why would repeated running over the next three weeks help that situation?
    .... uh, did you just ask why repetition would help someone get better at something?

And yeah, I haven't heard anything about him running uncomfortably. In fact, he's been moving around in the field a lot, hasn't he? Charging bunts, double plays. He might not bust in out of the box after every groundball anymore, but I hardly think he's useless in terms of mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    .... uh, did you just ask why repetition would help someone get better at something?

And yeah, I haven't heard anything about him running uncomfortably. In fact, he's been moving around in the field a lot, hasn't he? Charging bunts, double plays. He might not bust in out of the box after every groundball anymore, but I hardly think he's useless in terms of mobility.
    No, he hasn't been running well at all. And no, I wouldn't expect that to improve through the act of running more.

He may well get better enough to play but thus far the results haven't been encouraging.

That is fantastic stuff.

No, he hasn't been running well at all.
    Are you just saying this over and over again in hopes that people start believing it?

And no, I wouldn't expect that to improve through the act of running more.
    Good point. You know the old saying: Practice makes exactly the same and will never improve anything. Ever.

Are you just saying this over and over again in hopes that people start believing it?

Good point. You know the old saying: Practice makes exactly the same and will never improve anything. Ever.

If the condition of his hip is that the healing isn't complete, sure, it's possible that running hard on it could cause further damage and could get worse with time

That said, there's no evidence at all that that's what is going on w/ Al right now
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    That said, there's no evidence at all that that's what is going on w/ Al right now
    I was expecting at least an unnamed source familiar with the situation.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

It's not a secret that he doesn't look good so far.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...H1k5gGoZWbxB2I

I've not heard anybody say that 'practicing running' can help heal a surgicially repaired hip. Between the very serious injury and the possibility of a long suspension, the odds are very large against ARod actually getting back on the field and being any better than a replacement player.

He's not running well at all. His swings have not shown anything that would suggest he can get his hips firing again. No amount of practice can fix all that. he's either going to heal or he's not without further rehabilitation and time.

Look at Jeter...he's in Triple A and some say he will be back next weekend. By all accounts he's looked fine running. Arod has not.

It's not a secret that he doesn't look good so far.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...H1k5gGoZWbxB2I

I've not heard anybody say that 'practicing running' can help heal a surgicially repaired hip. Between the very serious injury and the possibility of a long suspension, the odds are very large against ARod actually getting back on the field and being any better than a replacement player.
    We could use a replacement-level player at third right about now. His worst season, last year, when he was clearly hurt he put up a 112 OPS+.

He's not running well at all.
    Says you and nobody else.

His swings have not shown anything that would suggest he can get his hips firing again. No amount of practice can fix all that. he's either going to heal or he's not without further rehabilitation and time.
    Except he's doing fine in BP, which to me says his bat speed just has to catch up to game speed. Which you would expect since he's only had 25 ABs, which would be about a third of the way through a normal spring training.

Look at Jeter...he's in Triple A and some say he will be back next weekend. By all accounts he's looked fine running. Arod has not.
    What does Jeter have to do with A-Rod?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    We could use a replacement-level player at third right about now. His worst season, last year, when he was clearly hurt he put up a 112 OPS+.

Says you and nobody else.

Except he's doing fine in BP, which to me says his bat speed just has to catch up to game speed. Which you would expect since he's only had 25 ABs, which would be about a third of the way through a normal spring training.

What does Jeter have to do with A-Rod?
    Listen, Coffee, I'm not going to go through and correct all of your mistakes and faulty logic because I don't have the time.

Just suffice to say that ARod doesn't look close to being able to get back on the field and there are real questions if he'll ever play again, between the potentially career ending injury and a possible 100 game suspension (assuming Selig doesn't invoke the 'best interests of baseball' clause and get rid of him all together.)

NYYF Legend

The article doesn't mention anywhere that arod has had any trouble running... It just mentions that he's been jogging down the line, which is more indicative of him getting back into the groove of the game rather than an injury he's hiding
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    The article doesn't mention anywhere that arod has had any trouble running... It just mentions that he's been jogging down the line, which is more indicative of him getting back into the groove of the game rather than an injury he's hiding
    He's not running well and he's not comfortable.

Believe me now and thank me later for giving everybody the heads up on it.

Listen, Coffee, I'm not going to go through and correct all of your mistakes and faulty logic because I don't have the time.
    Yeah, that's why.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

So I guess you expect him to bust it down the line in his third game back from surgery after not having played in a competitive environment for months?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
    As he landed his crew with care;
    Supporting each man on the top of the tide
    By a finger entwined in his hair.

"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it twice:
    That alone should encourage the crew.
    Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:
    What I tell you three times is true."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Are you suggesting that more practice would help in some way?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Are you suggesting that more practice would help in some way?
    Probably not.

Once a player is uncomfortable, well, there's just no coming back from that.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Just suffice to say that ARod doesn't look close to being able to get back on the field and there are real questions if he'll ever play again, between the potentially career ending injury and a possible 100 game suspension (assuming Selig doesn't invoke the 'best interests of baseball' clause and get rid of him all together.)
    Why do you say this is a potentially career-ending injury?

And why are you assuming a 100-game suspension? The grounds for even a 50-game suspension look weak so far, and 100 games seems ludicrous. Any suspension would be appealed, and there'd better be a whole lot more evidence than we've heard about if MLB expects to make it stick. And the "best interests" clause? Don't be silly.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    So I guess you expect him to bust it down the line in his third game back from surgery after not having played in a competitive environment for months?
    Yeah, I would. If he's gearing up to be ready in 20 days, which would give him roughly two months of season to play, then yes. With just under three weeks to go for his return, I would think he could run at full speed.

If this were spring training and a guy couldn't run close to full speed a week into the exhibition season, I'd definitely have doubts that he'd be ready by opening day, unless we knew it was something short term like a twisted ankle or muscle strain or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Why do you say this is a potentially career-ending injury?

And why are you assuming a 100-game suspension? The grounds for even a 50-game suspension look weak so far, and 100 games seems ludicrous. Any suspension would be appealed, and there'd better be a whole lot more evidence than we've heard about if MLB expects to make it stick. And the "best interests" clause? Don't be silly.
    I'm not assuming anything. From the sounds of it, baseball is considering a 100 game suspension. 50 games for taking the PED's and 50 games for lying about it. On this I have no inside scoop, but that's the word.

I'm not predicting the 'best interest of baseball' move, but really it wouldn't shock me if Selig tries it.

Funny how apparently people are thinking I'm going out on a limb by saying i think there's a really good chance, maybe even a likelihood, that ARod will never again take the field and be a net positive for the Yankees.

Major League Baseball would love to see him gone. The Yankees would love to see him gone. And he can't run really beyond a trot. and he's 37 years old and looked shot even before the hip surgery...his second surgery of the kind. All the while trying to come back without the use of PED's (presumably).

I think I'm likely on the winning end of this bet.

NYYF Legend

I'm not assuming anything. From the sounds of it, baseball is considering a 100 game suspension. 50 games for taking the PED's and 50 games for lying about it. On this I have no inside scoop, but that's the word.
    They couldn't suspend Braun with a failed test. The "word on the street: is this is all smoke for show.

I'm not predicting the 'best interest of baseball' move, but really it wouldn't shock me if Selig tries it.
    That is funny. I think I have nearly as good a chance of being the next commissioner of MLB as Bud has of tossing A-rod "in the best interest of baseball"

Funny how apparently people are thinking I'm going out on a limb by saying i think there's a really good chance, maybe even a likelihood, that ARod will never again take the field and be a net positive for the Yankees.
    Sure there is a chance that he'll never play again but that chance is less and less likely with each day he takes the field in rehab games.

Major League Baseball would love to see him gone.
    Really? The same league that just made Bartolo "I just started the season finishing a 50 game suspension for cheating last year" Colon the A's lone all-star representative?

The Yankees would love to see him gone.
    Considering what they have to pay him for what production he is likely to give them this is probably very, very true.

And he can't run really beyond a trot. and he's 37 years old and looked shot even before the hip surgery...his second surgery of the kind. All the while trying to come back without the use of PED's (presumably).
    We are talking about the same guy who successfully stole on 13 of 14 SB attempts last year and put up a 113 OPS+ right?

I think I'm likely on the winning end of this bet.
    I missed the bet but if the bet is based on the rest of your logic how do I get a piece of this action?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I did a Google search looking for info on any problems with A-Rod's running and this is what I came up with:

The guy seems still not to be able to run.
    As it stands now, it doesn't seem he can move.
    He can't run beyond a glorified trot at this point.
    No, he hasn't been running well at all.
    He's not running well at all.
    he can't run really beyond a trot.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Thread Information