+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: Buyers or Sellers at the trade deadline?

Quote Originally Posted by yanksftw View Post
    we are sellers but we don't even realize it
    I think we realize it but are reticent about admitting it.
    Last edited by Allan; 07-17-13 at 10:17 AM.
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way. - Babe Ruth

The Yankees won't sell because they're not ready to part with their most valuable chips: Cano and Kuroda.

Those are the only guys that would yield a great return in a trade at this point.

With the Yankees only a couple out of the wild card there is no logic in selling unless you're going to go big and sell off your best guys. The Yankees won just enough games to make that not a realistic possibility. Especially since they want Cano and Kuroda back next year.

I think ultimately the Yankees become bargain buyers. That seems to be what Cashman does every year at the deadline. He did make a push for Cliff Lee that one year and had a trade worked out, but there is no comparable player available and no considerable trading chips to dangle in a move like that.

With insurance savings the Yankees will use their wallet to add salary this year and not have to give up much else. They'll probably land an everyday or at least platoon bat.

As for their chances in the playoffs the Yankees need some help in the lineup beyond Jeter, ARod, Granderson. However another bat or two and them getting hot at the right time could give them a decent shot. They have the starting pitching and bullpen to be a good team in the playoffs. Getting there actually will probably be the harder task for them as low scoring teams generally don't make the playoffs even with good pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilEmpireDC View Post
    I think a lot of our fans think the Yankees are "too good" for rebuilding for some sick reason and I believe the management thinks the same.

I'm sorry but getting a wild card spot just to get decimated by Baltimore or Boston isn't worth it to me. I'd rather suck for a year or two and rebuild with a chance at another dynasty. A rebuild won't be that bad in NYY since they actually have money. But it'll never happen.

Teams (YES EVEN THE YANKEES) have expiration dates and the Yankees hit theirs. If you legitimately think this squad has a chance at a WS, you're crazy. Simple as that. There aren't gonna be any big moves at the deadline. The same scrubs will be playing August 1.

I don't care that they're three games out now because I feel as though that number will triple by the end of next week with trips to Boston and Texas on the horizon.

But we're the Yankees so we always have a chance I guess
    The problem is this line of thinking - it will not take a year or two to straighten this mess out. I am not against rebuilding, but to think that the turnaround will occur in one or two years is irresponsible. Take the Mets as an example - they were bad for two years (2010 and 2011), they dumped salary starting 2 years ago using Beltran to get Wheeler and last year using Dickey to get d'Arnaud and other prospects. Had they traded Reyes perhaps they would have gotten even better returns. Harvey has been in their system for years. Only now are the Mets even STARTING to turn the corner as their young prospects are beginning to shine. Even so, they will be lucky to win 75-80 games this year. Perhaps next year, if they add offense, they might make a run at the wild card.

You may say, "But the Yankees spend more - we aren't the Mets!" That may be true overall, but the Mets had ONE bad recent contract - Johan Santana. He's coming off the books at the end of this year, and the Mets will be utilizing all 100-125 million bucks available to them on useful pieces to plug in when the time is right. The Yankees have tied up 30 Million on A-Rod, 20+ million on Tex, and 23+ on CC for at least 3 more years! As we go further into the future, at least $50+ million of our payroll will be wasted as Tex gets worse (A-Rod is already obviously a waste of salary). CC will only get worse as well, and eventually his contract will hurt as well. Of the 189 million we have to spend, if we are wasting 50 -70 million on dead weight, then our actual payroll for useful players is around that of the Mets.

But therein lies another problem (besides the fact that fewer quality free agents are available)- The Mets have spent YEARS building up their farm system (and doing it quite well I might add). Their future looks very bright as long as they don't screw it up.

I have no faith in the Yankees ability to develop prospects since they've ruined Hughes and Joba, dealt Montero (who appears to be nothing special) and Kennedy, and Phelps, Nova, and Pineda are still up in the air. Not to mention our position player prospects, at least the ones closest to the majors, are a bit disappointing (maybe Almonte will amount to something?).

This offseason we are losing 3 pitchers who give us 150-200 IP - Andy, Hughes, and Kuroda. CC will also continue to decline. I think it is a bit optimistic to figure that those 600 IP will be replaced so easily by sliding in Pineda, Nova, and Phelps, especially with our track record with young pitchers. Yes, we've seen glimpses from Nova and Phelps, but nothing consistent. If all 3 pitchers step right in, we might remain competitive - but I feel that the chances of this happening are slim.

My father always tells me that this season feels like 1965. The Yankee greats all got old at the same time after essentially dominating baseball for well over a decade. It took FIVE years for them to win 90 games again and it wasn't until 1977 that they were able to have back-to-back 90 win seasons. Now I'm not saying that this is the exact same situation, but if you think that this team will only need "a year or two" to rebound from this, I think you might not be thinking realistically. I feel the Yankees understand this and therefore are doing everything they can to try and milk every last win they can out of this group before taking the plunge. I believe they feel that every day you are not rebuilding is one day closer to the end of the albatross contracts. When the fort finally collapses, it will be a spectacular one and a long one - trading Cano now ensures that not only will the collapse happen immediately, but it will probably take 3 years for the prospects you receive in return to make a critical impact on the major league level (and that's of course if they pan out). Zack Wheeler made his major league debut 2 years after the Mets traded for him and will not significantly impact the team (in terms of winning and a playoff push) for another year (and he was as much of a "sure thing" prospect as there was - and that was back in 2011). Waiting it out and signing Cano allows us to keep our franchise player who will help us dig out of this mess when the youth arrives. Furthermore, even if Cano's contract becomes an albatross, it probably won't happen until CC, Tex, and A-Rod's contracts are already off the books.

Anyway, I guess the point of this is that while I would be okay with a rebuild, it will take much longer than people realize and I understand the Yankees perspective as to why they refuse to give in. Either way, I do feel we are in for a few long seasons coming up in the near future and won't truly complete the rebuild until the expiration of the bad contracts.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by sousuffer View Post

Anyway, I guess the point of this is that while I would be okay with a rebuild, it will take much longer than people realize and I understand the Yankees perspective as to why they refuse to give in. Either way, I do feel we are in for a few long seasons coming up in the near future and won't truly complete the rebuild until the expiration of the bad contracts.
    great post.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

The problem is this line of thinking - it will not take a year or two to straighten this mess out. I am not against rebuilding, but to think that the turnaround will occur in one or two years is irresponsible. Take the Mets as an example - they were bad for two years (2010 and 2011), they dumped salary starting 2 years ago using Beltran to get Wheeler and last year using Dickey to get d'Arnaud and other prospects. Had they traded Reyes perhaps they would have gotten even better returns. Harvey has been in their system for years. Only now are the Mets even STARTING to turn the corner as their young prospects are beginning to shine. Even so, they will be lucky to win 75-80 games this year. Perhaps next year, if they add offense, they might make a run at the wild card.

You may say, "But the Yankees spend more - we aren't the Mets!" That may be true overall, but the Mets had ONE bad recent contract - Johan Santana. He's coming off the books at the end of this year, and the Mets will be utilizing all 100-125 million bucks available to them on useful pieces to plug in when the time is right. The Yankees have tied up 30 Million on A-Rod, 20+ million on Tex, and 23+ on CC for at least 3 more years! As we go further into the future, at least $50+ million of our payroll will be wasted as Tex gets worse (A-Rod is already obviously a waste of salary). CC will only get worse as well, and eventually his contract will hurt as well. Of the 189 million we have to spend, if we are wasting 50 -70 million on dead weight, then our actual payroll for useful players is around that of the Mets.

But therein lies another problem (besides the fact that fewer quality free agents are available)- The Mets have spent YEARS building up their farm system (and doing it quite well I might add). Their future looks very bright as long as they don't screw it up.

I have no faith in the Yankees ability to develop prospects since they've ruined Hughes and Joba, dealt Montero (who appears to be nothing special) and Kennedy, and Phelps, Nova, and Pineda are still up in the air. Not to mention our position player prospects, at least the ones closest to the majors, are a bit disappointing (maybe Almonte will amount to something?).

This offseason we are losing 3 pitchers who give us 150-200 IP - Andy, Hughes, and Kuroda. CC will also continue to decline. I think it is a bit optimistic to figure that those 600 IP will be replaced so easily by sliding in Pineda, Nova, and Phelps, especially with our track record with young pitchers. Yes, we've seen glimpses from Nova and Phelps, but nothing consistent. If all 3 pitchers step right in, we might remain competitive - but I feel that the chances of this happening are slim.

My father always tells me that this season feels like 1965. The Yankee greats all got old at the same time after essentially dominating baseball for well over a decade. It took FIVE years for them to win 90 games again and it wasn't until 1977 that they were able to have back-to-back 90 win seasons. Now I'm not saying that this is the exact same situation, but if you think that this team will only need "a year or two" to rebound from this, I think you might not be thinking realistically. I feel the Yankees understand this and therefore are doing everything they can to try and milk every last win they can out of this group before taking the plunge. I believe they feel that every day you are not rebuilding is one day closer to the end of the albatross contracts. When the fort finally collapses, it will be a spectacular one and a long one - trading Cano now ensures that not only will the collapse happen immediately, but it will probably take 3 years for the prospects you receive in return to make a critical impact on the major league level (and that's of course if they pan out). Zack Wheeler made his major league debut 2 years after the Mets traded for him and will not significantly impact the team (in terms of winning and a playoff push) for another year (and he was as much of a "sure thing" prospect as there was - and that was back in 2011). Waiting it out and signing Cano allows us to keep our franchise player who will help us dig out of this mess when the youth arrives. Furthermore, even if Cano's contract becomes an albatross, it probably won't happen until CC, Tex, and A-Rod's contracts are already off the books.

Great post.

Everything you said made sense.
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

the truth is quite often not pretty, which I guess is why so many people want to avoid it as much as possible. #28 ain't going up this season, next season, or probably any time in the near future...and I'm okay with that. We're all familiar with NBA teams that seem to limp along and squeeze into the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed year in and year out, only to get smashed in the first round. Do you really want the Yankees to become the MLB version of this?

Quote Originally Posted by NoWay View Post
    the truth is quite often not pretty, which I guess is why so many people want to avoid it as much as possible. #28 ain't going up this season, next season, or probably any time in the near future...and I'm okay with that. We're all familiar with NBA teams that seem to limp along and squeeze into the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed year in and year out, only to get smashed in the first round. Do you really want the Yankees to become the MLB version of this?
    Agreed...I imagine there could be one way to avoid this problem - spend, spend, spend, and spend some more. If the Yankees are willing to sign more free agents and bring their payroll up to about 250 million bucks, they could probably withstand the bad contracts. They had a chance to do that by signing Swisher and Martin and clearly went in a different direction. Technically, they could sign another 3rd baseman and eat A-Rod's contract completely and send him home. During the mid-2000's the Yankees did things like this all the time - they signed replacements for Pavano, Igawa, and Wright (among others) while still paying them. I don't think it's healthy for baseball, however (nor is it that much fun to root for mercenaries), and I don't expect it to happen.

NYYF Legend

Sell Sell Sell Sell Sell. Won't happen but Cano for Nick Castellanos.

(nor is it that much fun to root for mercenaries)
    If you don't want to root for "mercenaries," I suggest rooting for LLers or perhaps college ball. Every professional player is a "mercenary." Some are just more successful at it and get paid more.

If you mean that it is no fun to root for a team with a payroll that is much higher than the payroll of other teams, I disagree. The team still has to compete on the field by the same rules. I agree it is no fun to root for a team that wins most every game and every year, but a dominant team like the 1998 Yankee team is a lot of fun, at least once a generation. I am hoping to live long enough to root for another Yankee team at that level, perhaps filled with some players with monster contracts, as well as some fresh faces.

Anyway, with other big market teams like the LA teams, Boston, Texas, Philly, etc,, having cable contracts now, we do not have to worry about the Yankees out spending the others to hire most of the most successful professionals, i.e. mercenaries.

There are a lot fewer mercenaries out there anyway since more teams are making an effort to sign their guys. Votto, Braun, Wright, McCutchen, King Felix, Verlander, Posey etc may have seen free agency years ago.

Please.

Those guys and their agents made a calculated assessment of how they could make the most money, taking into account risk of injury and endorsements. They are professionals trying to maximize their career returns. They are no different than someone who signs with another team after hitting free agency. There is nothing wrong with this. It is how they make money. They are professionals.

What is wrong is deluded fans booing certain players, like Alex and Mark, because they have gone through free agency and signed with another team.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Please.

Those guys and their agents made a calculated assessment of how they could make the most money, taking into account risk of injury and endorsements. They are professionals trying to maximize their career returns. They are no different than someone who signs with another team after hitting free agency. There is nothing wrong with this. It is how they make money. They are professionals.

What is wrong is deluded fans booing certain players, like Alex and Mark, because they have gone through free agency and signed with another team.
    I have something that I like to say in regards to this...and that is that I hate "sports fans". "Sports fans", for the most part, are morons. They're the idiots that you hear on 'Mike and Mike' when they open that stupid chatter line. They're the fools that sit behind you in the stands and scream 'YOU SUCK!" at guys who have spent their entire lives perfecting their skills to the level where they play a sport at the ultimate level. They're the kind of deluded idiots that call in death threats when their teams' kicker misses a game winning field goal attempt. The vast majority of the time, they know next to nothing about the sports they follow beyond a 30,000' view.

Maybe that will help you understand.

I have something that I like to say in regards to this...and that is that I hate "sports fans". "Sports fans", for the most part, are morons. They're the idiots that you hear on 'Mike and Mike' when they open that stupid chatter line. They're the fools that sit behind you in the stands and scream 'YOU SUCK!" at guys who have spent their entire lives perfecting their skills to the level where they play a sport at the ultimate level. They're the kind of deluded idiots that call in death threats when their teams' kicker misses a game winning field goal attempt. The vast majority of the time, they know next to nothing about the sports they follow beyond a 30,000' view.

Hello. First time poster here. I wanted to add a personal experience to this.

Back when Sammy Sosa left the Cubs for Baltimore, a friend and I went down to Cincinnati from Indianapolis the next season to see the O's play the Reds. Despite the fact the Cubs themselves were playing a game that day, dozens of Cubs fans drove all the way down from Chicago to Cincinatti so they could sit in the stand and boo and cuss at Sosa everytime he came up.

I agree with your assessment of many "sports fans"....

Staying on topic, I too think the Yanks may end up being bargain buyers again this time around.

NYYF Triple Crown

Well, they have Boston, Texas and the Rays coming up. Should make the answer fairly obvious.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    Well, they have Boston, Texas and the Rays coming up. Should make the answer fairly obvious.
    what if they go 5-5?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Personally, I think that the Yankees should be sellers.

The problem is that they have very little merchandise to sell.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    what if they go 5-5?
    I think .500 and below would mean "sellers."

There's no such thing as an MLB version of that. The NBA is completely different game. Even with the one game playoff making it as a wild card in the MLB your chances of winning it all are not much worse than the rest of the playoff field. We've all seen teams win the World Series that simply got hot at the right time. They were good teams that had good talent, but the MLB playoffs is a lot more unpredictable than the NBA.

Pitching and clutch hitting win in the playoffs. That's what's the Yankees dynasty was built around and what we've seen from most of the recent World Series champs. Consistent offense is most important in the regular season when your lineup needs to be able to take advantage of lack luster pitching to pick up wins.

I do agree the Yankees probably aren't winning in the very near future. The organization is well setup for it unless they make full use of their financial advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Personally, I think that the Yankees should be sellers.

The problem is that they have very little merchandise to sell.
    I think they'd have to commit to selling Cano and Kuroda something I'd be shocked to see from them. However it would make total sense if they were willing to do that with a plan to replace (or ideally still re-sign) them in free agency.

It'll never happen though cause if the Yankees sell the only thing that will bring people into the stadium is Mo's farewell tour. Too much money to lose.

It'll take a HORRIBLE stretch starting today for them to even consider selling.

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

These athletes all make money because there are fans willing to pay to watch them play. Its an entertainment industry fans have the right to enjoy it however they would like. Obviously illegal acts or extremism (death threats, etc.) have no place, but fans 100% have the right to yell, scream, boo, or complain about whatever part of the sport they don't like. Just like you have every right to complain about those fans making your experience less enjoyable.

On a side note you think you're a better fan than most because you don't boo. Well others might think they're a better fan because they're passionate enough to voice criticism. Neither side is correct you're all consumers of the game you just choose to do it in a different manner.

Devoted Member

No. Which is why the sooner the better. And if Cano is not going to sign for a reasonable length, let's get on with it and turn him into some future assets. This season should cement the idea that ANY position player over 35/36 is probably not going to contribute much. Why repeat that msitake again?
    pitching, pitching and pitching

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    There's no such thing as an MLB version of that. The NBA is completely different game. Even with the one game playoff making it as a wild card in the MLB your chances of winning it all are not much worse than the rest of the playoff field. We've all seen teams win the World Series that simply got hot at the right time. They were good teams that had good talent, but the MLB playoffs is a lot more unpredictable than the NBA.

Pitching and clutch hitting win in the playoffs. That's what's the Yankees dynasty was built around and what we've seen from most of the recent World Series champs. Consistent offense is most important in the regular season when your lineup needs to be able to take advantage of lack luster pitching to pick up wins.

I do agree the Yankees probably aren't winning in the very near future. The organization is well setup for it unless they make full use of their financial advantages.
    Slight disagreement. You cannot quantify "clutch" but you can quantify and measure patience, working the count, running up the opposition's pitch count, getting into a team's often inferior bullpen. What has happened the last few years when the Yankees got eliminated is they face superior starters who threw strikes early in the count and made that strategy work agaisnt them. It still wroks very well in the regular season, but seems better playoff teams tend to have better aces than the Yankees.
    pitching, pitching and pitching

NYYF Legend

Agreed...I imagine there could be one way to avoid this problem - spend, spend, spend, and spend some more. If the Yankees are willing to sign more free agents and bring their payroll up to about 250 million bucks, they could probably withstand the bad contracts. They had a chance to do that by signing Swisher and Martin and clearly went in a different direction. Technically, they could sign another 3rd baseman and eat A-Rod's contract completely and send him home. During the mid-2000's the Yankees did things like this all the time - they signed replacements for Pavano, Igawa, and Wright (among others) while still paying them. I don't think it's healthy for baseball, however (nor is it that much fun to root for mercenaries), and I don't expect it to happen.
    Watch what happens with this team if they continue to lose and the fan base drops. Ticket prices are out of sight and attendance will continue to drop. YES ratings are already dropping and if the Mets continue to improve and show signs of developing super stars...Harvey and Wheeler it will look like the late 1960's when the Mets dominated and the Yanks were dropping. I think NY should look at the way the Cardinals are successful, develop their farm system and have great instructors in the minors.

NYYF Legend

We won. Hooray, we're buyers again.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information