+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Re: Buyers or Sellers at the trade deadline?

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I want them to sell as much as possible & go into a rebuild. Now I know this will never happen unfortunately so I'd be Okay with them being "buyers" as long as a legit prospect doesn't get moved &/or an awful contract doesn't get taken on. I still have no real interest in this year's team but I'm still very interested in where this team's headed over the next couple years.
    Why should they go into a rebuild?
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    It's more like "why shouldn't they?" Over the next couple of years, this team is going to have major question marks all over the roster, some of which will be extremely expensive question marks such as Tex, A-Rod, & CC. Mo is going to be retiring so the Closer position is up in the air, and the starting rotation is a question mark from 1-5. CC is no longer a bonafide #1 ace, Kuroda could be gone, Pettitte gone or back & getting slapped around, Hughes probably gone, Pineda (who knows what he's going to bring)...and Cano will be the only reliable offensive weapon on this team.

This is a very old & very expensive roster & the sooner they try to fix this, the better off they will be long term.

I have a feeling your question was more of a sarcastic "why should they..." though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Michael View Post
    A *very* strong candidate for buyer's remorse. ...

... he'll no longer be worth the money he will be paid after this year.
    I agree with these statements. Assuming Cano isn't traded (which seems very unlikely) the Yankees should offer him a reasonable contract but not a stupid contract. Let the Dodgers or Angels pay the stupid money and end up regretting it later.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

WE ARE 3 GAMES BACK IN THE WILD CARD

We will not sell.

We will buy.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post

We will not sell.

We will buy.
    How far (when it comes to buying) do you want the Yankees to go?

How far (when it comes to buying) do you want the Yankees to go?
    Not crazy, obviously. I'm not expecting them to trade high-tier prospects (I hope). I think definite trades HAVE to involve Joba and Hughes. If at least 1 does not get traded, I would be disappointed. We just need 1 impact bat to get in this thing. Our pitching is fine. A right handed power outfielder or left side of the infielder would be great.

I think a lot of our fans think the Yankees are "too good" for rebuilding for some sick reason and I believe the management thinks the same.

I'm sorry but getting a wild card spot just to get decimated by Baltimore or Boston isn't worth it to me. I'd rather suck for a year or two and rebuild with a chance at another dynasty. A rebuild won't be that bad in NYY since they actually have money. But it'll never happen.

Teams (YES EVEN THE YANKEES) have expiration dates and the Yankees hit theirs. If you legitimately think this squad has a chance at a WS, you're crazy. Simple as that. There aren't gonna be any big moves at the deadline. The same scrubs will be playing August 1.

I don't care that they're three games out now because I feel as though that number will triple by the end of next week with trips to Boston and Texas on the horizon.

But we're the Yankees so we always have a chance I guess
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

Quote Originally Posted by EvilEmpireDC View Post
    I think a lot of our fans think the Yankees are "too good" for rebuilding for some sick reason and I believe the management thinks the same.

I'm sorry but getting a wild card spot just to get decimated by Baltimore or Boston isn't worth it to me. I'd rather suck for a year or two and rebuild with a chance at another dynasty. A rebuild won't be that bad in NYY since they actually have money. But it'll never happen.

Teams (YES EVEN THE YANKEES) have expiration dates and the Yankees hit theirs. If you legitimately think this squad has a chance at a WS, you're crazy. Simple as that. There aren't gonna be any big moves at the deadline. The same scrubs will be playing August 1.

I don't care that they're three games out now because I feel as though that number will triple by the end of next week with trips to Boston and Texas on the horizon.

But we're the Yankees so we always have a chance I guess
    Getting to the playoffs is an accomplishment. And the team that wins it all is the team that plays best at that time. What if the Yankee team that won 6-7 straight games shows up in October? What if the Orioles suddenly slump then? Baseball is an unscripted sport. You can't say these group of guys we currently have can't outperform a stronger team (on paper) in the post season. Our starting pitching and bullpen is strong enough to at least give fans some optimism.

That being said, a potent bat, just one, is in need. And I feel that's all this team needs. And it can and should be done by dealing Hughes and Joba. And then let the reinforcements come (Jeter, Arod, Grandy) to come and do their jobs.

A-rod, by the way, hit a home run tonight and went 2-4. He said he expects to be in the majors by next week.

And yes, rebuilding is not an option. Even the Steinbrenners said they expect a championship caliber team each season. I wouldn't be surprised if the $189M mark next year is not met.

Getting to the playoffs is an accomplishment. And the team that wins it all is the team that plays best at that time. What if the Yankee team that won 6-7 straight games shows up in October? What if the Orioles suddenly slump then? Baseball is an unscripted sport. You can't say these group of guys we currently have can't outperform a stronger team (on paper) in the post season. Our starting pitching and bullpen is strong enough to at least give fans some optimism.

That being said, a potent bat, just one, is in need. And I feel that's all this team needs. And it can and should be done by dealing Hughes and Joba. And then let the reinforcements come (Jeter, Arod, Grandy) to come and do their jobs.

A-rod, by the way, hit a home run tonight and went 2-4. He said he expects to be in the majors by next week.

And yes, rebuilding is not an option. Even the Steinbrenners said they expect a championship caliber team each season. I wouldn't be surprised if the $189M mark next year is not met.
    I don't think Minnesota is going to make it though

And by all accounts, A-Rod has been looking bad physically and playing wise in his rehab starts so I'm sorry if I'm not pre-ordering my WS gear
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

Devoted Member

Because they have long term holes practically everywhere on the field and they need to start thinking about addressing them in an intelligent way instead of chasing the fantasy that it will all come together and they will win the WS in 2013.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

NYYF HOF

Anyone who thinks this team will be saved by ARod, Jeter, Granderson and Pineda all coming off serious injuries and long rehabs is kidding themselves. Anyone pegging the Yankees chances on a few other much better, younger teams just collapsing is really kidding themselves.

Anyone that looks at this team and thinks they're just a few pieces away wasn't around in the 80's.

They have to be smart and get what they can giving more weight towards the future versus a potential for a few games in early October.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

It's more like "why shouldn't they?" Over the next couple of years, this team is going to have major question marks all over the roster, some of which will be extremely expensive question marks such as Tex, A-Rod, & CC. Mo is going to be retiring so the Closer position is up in the air, and the starting rotation is a question mark from 1-5. CC is no longer a bonafide #1 ace, Kuroda could be gone, Pettitte gone or back & getting slapped around, Hughes probably gone, Pineda (who knows what he's going to bring)...and Cano will be the only reliable offensive weapon on this team.

This is a very old & very expensive roster & the sooner they try to fix this, the better off they will be long term.

I have a feeling your question was more of a sarcastic "why should they..." though.
    I apologize in advance for the length of this post...

We are shedding a LOT of money this offseason: Youkilis ($12M), Granderson ($15M), Kuroda and Pettitte likely ($27M), Mariano ($10M), Jeter ($9 M), Hughes ($7M), A-Rod ($3M), Hafner ($2M). That's a cool $85 million dollars.

The team's approach for the future will hopefully depend on what we see from Nova and Pineda in the second half. If they dazzle (and both certainly have the capability to do so), we've got a solid 1-3 to build around (Pineda/Nova/CC). I think Phelps can serve as a back-end guy, leaving one rotation spot to fill. Our bullpen moving forward would still be formidable, even with Mo gone.

If that's the scenario, I'd hope we re-sign Cano, get Tex healthy, move A-Rod to DH, and try to obtain Headley. I'm guessing Jeter will pick up his option if he gets healthy at some point this year. Sign Gardner to a reasonable extension, keep Ichiro in RF, and monitor the FA OFers - Pence, Beltran, Ellsbury, Granderson, Hart, and Choo. If signing one of those guys to a reasonable contract isn't feasible, roll with Almonte.

Take a peak at McCann; otherwise, move forward with Stewart, Cervelli, and hopefully Murphy.

A roster of CC/Pineda/Nova/Phelps and bullpen with D-Rob/Logan/Kelley/Betances should run about $36 million.

A lineup of Gardner/Jeter/Cano/Headley/A-Rod/Tex/Almonte/Ichiro/Murphy should cost about $115 million (assuming $8 million for Gardner on an extension; $25 million for Cano on new contract; $15 million for Headley on extension; $3 million for the catcher position). And it's not terrible!

So that's $151 million total. I guess $10 million or so should go to filling out the bench. Wells is basically free, right? Maybe we keep him; maybe not. $161 million total, I'll round up to $170 million. That would leave almost $20 million for another free agent before we even hit the $189 limit - if that's in play. With that you can consider an upgrade in the rotation (Kuroda, Garza, trade for Price?), an upgrade in the OF from a strong FA class, or an upgrade at catcher (McCann).

I'm not sure how reasonable some of the assumptions are, and I feel like I'm forgetting something, but the bottom line is that tremendous cost savings can be achieved if Pineda and Nova can hold down important slots in the rotation for cheap. That's the only scenario in which I'd reload rather than rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I apologize in advance for the length of this post...

We are shedding a LOT of money this offseason: Youkilis ($12M), Granderson ($15M), Kuroda and Pettitte likely ($27M), Mariano ($10M), Jeter ($9 M), Hughes ($7M), A-Rod ($3M), Hafner ($2M). That's a cool $85 million dollars.

The team's approach for the future will hopefully depend on what we see from Nova and Pineda in the second half. If they dazzle (and both certainly have the capability to do so), we've got a solid 1-3 to build around (Pineda/Nova/CC). I think Phelps can serve as a back-end guy, leaving one rotation spot to fill. Our bullpen moving forward would still be formidable, even with Mo gone.

If that's the scenario, I'd hope we re-sign Cano, get Tex healthy, move A-Rod to DH, and try to obtain Headley. I'm guessing Jeter will pick up his option if he gets healthy at some point this year. Sign Gardner to a reasonable extension, keep Ichiro in RF, and monitor the FA OFers - Pence, Beltran, Ellsbury, Granderson, Hart, and Choo. If signing one of those guys to a reasonable contract isn't feasible, roll with Almonte.

Take a peak at McCann; otherwise, move forward with Stewart, Cervelli, and hopefully Murphy.

A roster of CC/Pineda/Nova/Phelps and bullpen with D-Rob/Logan/Kelley/Betances should run about $36 million.

A lineup of Gardner/Jeter/Cano/Headley/A-Rod/Tex/Almonte/Ichiro/Murphy should cost about $115 million (assuming $8 million for Gardner on an extension; $25 million for Cano on new contract; $15 million for Headley on extension; $3 million for the catcher position). And it's not terrible!

So that's $151 million total. I guess $10 million or so should go to filling out the bench. Wells is basically free, right? Maybe we keep him; maybe not. $161 million total, I'll round up to $170 million. That would leave almost $20 million for another free agent before we even hit the $189 limit - if that's in play. With that you can consider an upgrade in the rotation (Kuroda, Garza, trade for Price?), an upgrade in the OF from a strong FA class, or an upgrade at catcher (McCann).

I'm not sure how reasonable some of the assumptions are, and I feel like I'm forgetting something, but the bottom line is that tremendous cost savings can be achieved if Pineda and Nova can hold down important slots in the rotation for cheap. That's the only scenario in which I'd reload rather than rebuild.
    Your money calc is out of whack.

The 189M is based on AAV, so ARod and Jeter will not be savings. ARod, Jeter, Tex and Sabathia will consume 90.5M of the 189. Resigning Cano, arb raises, Wells and Ichiro (8.9M combined) and a 10M+ benefits package will be another 50M+.

They should have enough left for a quality SP, an above average bat and some bench players. The young arms, catchers, etc. will need to keep stepping up.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

NYYF Legend

We will not sell.

We will buy.
    Exactly.

I can see Hughes for a RH bat assuming a match can be found with a team with surplus bat that needs mid/back end of the rotation help.

I can see Joba for whatever he might be worth. Low B prospect not on 40 man?

Otherwise I don't see much happening other than hoping Jeter, A-rod & Granderson can give the offense a shot in the arm.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Your money calc is out of whack.

The 189M is based on AAV, so ARod and Jeter will not be savings. ARod, Jeter, Tex and Sabathia will consume 90.5M of the 189. Resigning Cano, arb raises, Wells and Ichiro (8.9M combined) and a 10M+ benefits package will be another 50M+.

They should have enough left for a quality SP, an above average bat and some bench players. The young arms, catchers, etc. will need to keep stepping up.
    I knew I would overlook something, although those are actual savings compared to this year, even though the 189 is calculated differently. The $189 should really have an asterisk beside it.

Even with the numbers you posted, wouldn't we have $40-$50 million to play with after locking up Cano (and still be within the $189)? That's plenty to field a contender IF Pineda and Nova can emerge as frontline starters.

NYYF Cy Young

We will not sell.

We will buy.
    Yankees play 12 more times prior to July 31 deadline. 3 are at home vs. T-Bay and 9 are on the road vs. Boston, Texas, and LA Dodgers. Their position relative to playoff contention is precarious at best and likely to diminish dramatically before the trade deadline. I think it's time to go into sell mode.
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way. - Babe Ruth

Not at all. I see clamoring for a rebuild, and I decided to ask one person who could spell it out in a, well, non-retarded way. I sort of disagree about filling the holes that will come up, but it's not like either way is going to 100% rebuild the team.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Exactly.

I can see Hughes for a RH bat assuming a match can be found with a team with surplus bat that needs mid/back end of the rotation help.

I can see Joba for whatever he might be worth. Low B prospect not on 40 man?

Otherwise I don't see much happening other than hoping Jeter, A-rod & Granderson can give the offense a shot in the arm.
    Agree. Logical, realistic and probable.

Unless they tank all 10 games coming out of the ASB and find themselves down 6 teams and 8 games in the wild card ... then sell everything not nailed down. (Some posters seem to wish for this scenario)
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Since April, the idea was to hold on until Jeter, ARod, Teixeira and Granderson could come back.

Well, three of the four came back.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Since April, the idea was to hold on until Jeter, ARod, Teixeira and Granderson could come back.

Well, three of the four came back.
    smart ass
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Agree. Logical, realistic and probable.

Unless they tank all 10 games coming out of the ASB and find themselves down 6 teams and 8 games in the wild card ... then sell everything not nailed down. (Some posters seem to wish for this scenario)
    I think I can sign on to this. If they sell, I won't be happy unless we get high quality youngsters in return, even if it only amounts to one SS and one OF.

I also don't agree that the team has no shot at a title. The pitching is there and if Pineda returns strong it'll get better. The addition of a RH 1B and the return of Jeter, Granderson and Cervelli could account for an additional run per game on average (return of ARod would be a plus, but I' m not counting on it).
    Let the kids play.

Serious questions: Based on the current ML roster and farmhands, how do you envision this team in 2014 and which of those players do you think we can bank on, by position, to fill the roster? Who do you see as being part of the starting 9, rotation and bullpen?

Obviously, some holes will have to be filled via signings, trades and pick ups, but to be honest, I struggle finding the pieces to make this a competitive team in 2014 with what we have. Maybe you can shed better light on it.

Edit: At Bub's good suggestion, I started a new thread on the topic for anyone to discuss:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...014-and-Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Serious questions: Based on the current ML roster and farmhands, how do you envision this team in 2014 and which of those players do you think we can bank on, by position, to fill the roster? Who do you see as being part of the starting 9, rotation and bullpen?

Obviously, some holes will have to be filled via signings, trades and pick ups, but to be honest, I struggle finding the pieces to make this a competitive team in 2014 with what we have. Maybe you can shed better light on it.
    This question is excellent and deserves its own thread, although I would aim 2 years out instead of 2014.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    This question is excellent and deserves its own thread, although I would aim 2 years out instead of 2014.
    Thanks....that's what I'll do. I'll link the new thread within my original post.

we are sellers but we don't even realize it

Thread Information