+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Buyers or Sellers at the trade deadline?

Thoughts?

The Yanks can get something decent back for Kuroda. Cano, I'd trade or just see what can be gotten back for him. Anyone else on this team that is tradeable that is not hurt? Hughes ehh, Joba barf. I havent seen I line up this bad since 89-92.

NYYF HOF

Re: Buyers or Sellers at the trade deadline?

They need to use the ASB to take a real honest assessment of what they expect out of this season. Do they really expect Baltimore and Boston to fade? Do they really expect a few players in their late 30's coming off injuries to contribute enough catch up? Do they expect CC, AP and Kuroda to stay healthy through the rest of the season? Do they expect Pineada to dominate from day one? Will Mo be able to close out games in August the same way he has been all year? Will some team give them a 1st baseman or maybe a corner infielder for a collection of AA players?

Too many thing need to fall into place for this team to be competitive. Too many variables need to be accounted for.

Test the market and sell what they can.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Thoughts?

The Yanks can get something decent back for Kuroda. Cano, I'd trade or just see what can be gotten back for him. Anyone else on this team that is tradeable that is not hurt? Hughes ehh, Joba barf. I havent seen I line up this bad since 89-92.
    Some would use the glass half full analogy and mention things like only 4 games out of a playoff spot on July 1st, Jeter/ARod/Granderson due back...blahblahblah...

What I see at this point is a team that has dropped 21 out of their last 33. A team that is loaded with bad contracts. A team that is waiting for a 39 year old SS coming off of 2 surgeries for 2 different fractures on the same ankle and a 38 year old 3rd baseman that has had surgery on both hips. A team that, offensively, just doesn't have the talent offensively to make any real noise down the stretch.

This past weekend is very telling of where this team is going. It's time to blow it up and start building for the next run.

I agree with both of you. I looked at this past Baltimore series as test to see how they can play against a good team. They obvisously failed miserably.

NYYF Legend

unless the Yankees were 10 games back I dont see us being sellers. No way possible. If anything the Yankees will be buyers especially for 3B. Michael Young makes too much sense as a rental, he can platoon with ARod (if he can comeback), and platoon with Overbay at 1B. Send down Adams, he needs to work on stuff in AAA.

Hopefully Granderson will be back at the ASG. Right there thats some offensive help.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Sell! This is already a bad team and getting worse in a hurry. Hard to be in love with anyone on this roster (not named Rivera).
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    unless the Yankees were 10 games back I dont see us being sellers. No way possible. If anything the Yankees will be buyers especially for 3B. Michael Young makes too much sense as a rental, he can platoon with ARod (if he can comeback), and platoon with Overbay at 1B. Send down Adams, he needs to work on stuff in AAA.

Hopefully Granderson will be back at the ASG. Right there thats some offensive help.
    This strikes me as wishful thinking in the extreme. Think the drops in TV ratings and attendance will lead management to be sellers. Now, those details don't impact wins and losses at all. But Cashman and the Steinbrenners have to recognize that this is an aging team with little talent in the minors such that being buyers for a putative 2013 run makes no sense. And further their customers and fan base recognize it's past time to rebuild or retool and nobody is going to lose any sleep over Cano or Kuroda being traded. Pettitte is looking at retirement. CC is untradeable but also a guy who is an inning eater and still an effective lefty who will be here nex year anyway. And Jeter, Texiera and Rodriguez are all on the downside. The Yankees have to trade what ever saleable assets they have for young talent. They had a nice run early in 2013 but it's fools gold after this weekend.
    pitching, pitching and pitching

If anything, lower ratings would make us buyers to keep up some hope.

NYYF Legend

Sell please.

We will be buyers

NYYF Legend

I would love to write off this bad stretch as just a blip on the radar but it's looking more and more like a legitimate trend. This is a bad baseball team (offensively at least) and I think it is unrealistic to think that Jeter and A-Rod are going to just swoop in at some point and save the day. So with that said, they probably should be sellers give the number of holes they will need to fill next year and beyond with a shrinking payroll, but I don't see that happening. As long as they are within "striking distance" they will either stand pat or possibly pick up a Michael Young type of player.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Sell please.
    I don't get this mind set.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    They aren't good enough to win it all. The sooner they realize this, the better. I was saying this last week even before this rough stretch - I was saying how they're shooting themselves in the foot with their decent record.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    they're not going to win every year. They're not going to contend every year. This happens to be one of those years, and continuing down the same path creates the potential for several more years like this. What is it that you don't get about this mindset?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    This strikes me as wishful thinking in the extreme. Think the drops in TV ratings and attendance will lead management to be sellers. Now, those details don't impact wins and losses at all. But Cashman and the Steinbrenners have to recognize that this is an aging team with little talent in the minors such that being buyers for a putative 2013 run makes no sense. And further their customers and fan base recognize it's past time to rebuild or retool and nobody is going to lose any sleep over Cano or Kuroda being traded. Pettitte is looking at retirement. CC is untradeable but also a guy who is an inning eater and still an effective lefty who will be here nex year anyway. And Jeter, Texiera and Rodriguez are all on the downside. The Yankees have to trade what ever saleable assets they have for young talent. They had a nice run early in 2013 but it's fools gold after this weekend.
    No one will lose sleep over Kuroda - or especially Cano - being traded? I think a TON of Yankee fans would lose sleep over that.

I think it will not only depend on the likelihood of an addition or two making a difference but also the market value of rentals. If its low, they probably buy. If its high, they might consider selling if they're completely in the tank.

I really doubt this team moves Cano even if they're out of it if they can't get a king's ransom in return.

I'm on board with being sellers and focusing on next season. This team is not good, and the assumption that a 39 year old SS coming off two surgeries, and a 38 year old 3B coming off two hip surgeries are gonna come back and save the day is just crazy. I dont see the mentality of waiting around hoping for those two to channel their prime years, while wasting minor league players to trade for the likes of Michael Young helps us now and going forward at all.

I would sell off anyone I can in return for useful assets.

Contrary to what some may say, there really isnt anything wrong with just admitting this years team isnt good enough, selling off parts and focusing on the future. We've been a playoff team every year since 1993 except one. I think we can all handle a second non-playoff season.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I'm on board with being sellers and focusing on next season. This team is not good, and the assumption that a 39 year old SS coming off two surgeries, and a 38 year old 3B coming off two hip surgeries are gonna come back and save the day is just crazy. I dont see the mentality of waiting around hoping for those two to channel their prime years, while wasting minor league players to trade for the likes of Michael Young helps us now and going forward at all.

I would sell off anyone I can in return for useful assets.

Contrary to what some may say, there really isnt anything wrong with just admitting this years team isnt good enough, selling off parts and focusing on the future. We've been a playoff team every year since 1993 except one. I think we can all handle a second non-playoff season.
    This.

Our fans are spoiled. Nothing wrong with that but eventually Father Time catches up.
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

And we're only "3 games out" because of us peaking in freakin' April.

Orioles aren't going anywhere . They'd smack us even with Jeter and A-Rod and Granderson.

The Red Sox would smack us as too.
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    No one will lose sleep over Kuroda - or especially Cano - being traded? I think a TON of Yankee fans would lose sleep over that.

I think it will not only depend on the likelihood of an addition or two making a difference but also the market value of rentals. If its low, they probably buy. If its high, they might consider selling if they're completely in the tank.

I really doubt this team moves Cano even if they're out of it if they can't get a king's ransom in return.
    Ever since the quick exit in the playoffs last year, there have been very few developments for fans to get excited about. The hot stove season was pretty uneventful as we lost some pieces and picked up no players to get worked up about. In ST, we kept scavenging for other teams' castoffs in order to fill holes, which was also nothing to get worked up about. Many Yankee fans were hugely disappointed and concerned about the roster going into the season, which has been amplified now by one of the most listless and punchless Yankee teams in many years. I think a major trade, like a Cano, or even Kuroda, should bring back some legit top prospects, which could be the first thing we have to get excited about with this team all year. Maybe a TON of Yankee fans would lose sleep over that, but I can see another TON of Yankee fans in complete support.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Addicted Member

Any chance of the Pirates biting on Hughes Kuroda? They're 51-30 and they've got the best record in baseball. Unless they have an epic collapse in the second half, they're going to the playoffs.

Look what they've done with Liriano, Burnett, Melancon, Grilli, etc. Kuroda would give them a solid arm going forward, and I'm sure they have a cap on Coles innings. So there's his veteran replacement come playoff time.

Hughes could be a reclamation project. Again, look at AJ & Liriano. Pitching like their "phenom" years.

I'm sure we can grab something of value from them, and Kuroda seems to be the guy to get it done.

Now that I think of it, the Cardinals are another good team who might bite on Kuroda.

Waino/Miller/Lynn/Kuroda/Garcia if healthy?

I'm sure there's plenty more options if we become sellers.

Geez, lots of fans are in for a rude awakening if they continue to think Yankees will actually be sellers.

LOL

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Geez, lots of fans are in for a rude awakening if they continue to think Yankees will actually be sellers.

LOL
    I don't think they actually have the balls to sell, but I do think it's the wise move for the future of the franchise.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post

LOL
    Better than hoping that players like Michael Young will fix a hole in this sinking ship.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Ever since the quick exit in the playoffs last year, there have been very few developments for fans to get excited about. The hot stove season was pretty uneventful as we lost some pieces and picked up no players to get worked up about. In ST, we kept scavenging for other teams' castoffs in order to fill holes, which was also nothing to get worked up about. Many Yankee fans were hugely disappointed and concerned about the roster going into the season, which has been amplified now by one of the most listless and punchless Yankee teams in many years. I think a major trade, like a Cano, or even Kuroda, should bring back some legit top prospects, which could be the first thing we have to get excited about with this team all year. Maybe a TON of Yankee fans would lose sleep over that, but I can see another TON of Yankee fans in complete support.
    I don't disagree with anything you've said here, but I think this forum isn't necessarily representative of the entire Yankee fan base. Few here might object to the Yankees becoming (gasp!) sellers if it made sense. But a very significant - I'd assume an easy majority - of fans wouldn't know how to process that. I think the Yankee FO would and should be very concerned about the fan "revolt" and will need to weigh that against the impact of going for it, missing the playoffs, and losing fan interest anyway. Will be interesting in and of itself to see how they approach things.

As for what Kuroda or Cano will bring, depends. I could see it being a seller's market given how many teams have a shot at the playoffs with the additional wild card. But we don't know what effect that the receiving team not even getting a draft pick if that rental player signs elsewhere will have on the bidding. If it is a seller's market for true rentals then clearly Cano would be at or near the top of the list for many teams, and Kuroda would be up there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I don't think they actually have the balls to sell, but I do think it's the wise move for the future of the franchise.
    Sure, maybe. Won't happen though. They show bigger balls actually buying than selling because it proves to their fanbase they never give up on a season. Selling Kuroda is basically saying "hey fans, we're done for 2013, see you next season"

Yea, right.

Quote Originally Posted by RIYankeeFan View Post
    Better than hoping that players like Michael Young will fix a hole in this sinking ship.
    Maybe he can. It only takes one impact player, who displays leadership like Young, to infuse this offense and perhaps the rookies.

Thread Information