+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: The Official Hal Steinbrenner is the Worst Owner in Sports

Tools and haters fuel the payroll.

We need them.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I hear this a lot and I don't really get it. You don't think those tools would jump right back on the bandwagon once they start winning again?
    Good point. One of my peeves is hearing Yankee fans whine because we aren't ahead by 10 games or we are "cheap" despite having a $230 million payroll. Getting on Cashman and the organization for our upper minor league status and how we are spending it, that is another story.

I have serious issues with a lot of decisions made off the field regarding the obnoxious corporate direction this organization has taken the past decade. But if anyone is here to whine and be overly dramatic about the performance of the team, please go find another one.
    The artist formerly known as BillBuckner.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Good point. One of my peeves is hearing Yankee fans whine because we aren't ahead by 10 games or we are "cheap" despite having a $230 million payroll. Getting on Cashman and the organization for our upper minor league status and how we are spending it, that is another story.
    I don't think people are complaining about the size of the payroll. It's more the attempt to get under $189 million when the team already has almost that much sunk into Arod, Tex, Sabathia, etc. Plus, the team is still making boatloads of money. So the perception is that Hal is much more concerned with finances than with winning. And I don't disagree with that criticism. I've been a fan of this team for a long time (I was able to say for 15 years I was at the last Yankee World Series game), and this year's offense is the worst I can remember since 1990. And I can see next year being worse if the $189 million edict is followed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hobokenfish View Post
    I don't think people are complaining about the size of the payroll. It's more the attempt to get under $189 million when the team already has almost that much sunk into Arod, Tex, Sabathia, etc. Plus, the team is still making boatloads of money. So the perception is that Hal is much more concerned with finances than with winning. And I don't disagree with that criticism. I've been a fan of this team for a long time (I was able to say for 15 years I was at the last Yankee World Series game), and this year's offense is the worst I can remember since 1990. And I can see next year being worse if the $189 million edict is followed.
    ^ All of this. With that said, Loria and Dolan are much worse.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

The fans will complain regardless. Hal can spend even more money then he wants to and there will still be cries of "why didn't he trade for -insert star here-"

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    ^ All of this. With that said, Loria and Dolan are much worse.
    True. Calling Hal the worst owner in sports is an extreme exaggeration. But the fact that he wants to go into austerity mode at this point at the expense of winning is unfortunate.

True. Calling Hal the worst owner in sports is an extreme exaggeration. But the fact that he wants to go into austerity mode at this point at the expense of winning is unfortunate.
    How much should he spend/who should he acquire for it to be categorized as trying to win?

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    How much should he spend/who should he acquire for it to be categorized as trying to win?
    If you are asking how much should we spend, you missed my point. But for starters, we should have a real catcher this season, and we don't.

Yep, this. Tough spot.

Next year this board could be brutal.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Every time the Yankee payroll approach gets referred to as austerity measures, a kitten dies.

Some definitely are. It's two arguments. One. Is going down to $189 million in 2014 wise considering our current situation? Absolutely not. Even though we are losing a lot of players, the only way we might stand a chance is if we alter our approach from the $20 million plus a year superstars to signing players like Boston did last offseason. Sign players that are solid players that won't cost the large contracts. Then you have some here calling $189 "cheap". That is the argument I'm talking about that drives me nuts. And you are right, this year's offense is bleak but don't you think that has more to do with Jeter, A-Rod, Teixeira, Granderson, Youkalis being out than our payroll?

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

There is so much miscommunication and misunderstanding about this whole "austerity" and "cheap" debate that it's hard for anyone to get a point across anymore. Of course, how can any team that's spending $230M this year be reasonably criticized as cheap? Even if their payroll is $189M next year, that's still more than most other teams, right? However, the other reality is that so much of that money is fixed cost from existing contracts that it leaves little to no flexibility to do anything else but sign washed up veterans on short term deals in hopes of capturing lightning in a bottle. The prevailing strategy now is more motivated by cutting rather than building. Personally, I accept that as a sensible long term strategy. The trouble is that in the short term, the team has a multitude of weaknesses and holes with no apparent internal solutions, and a limited ability to fix them from the outside because they just don't have the resources.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    There is so much miscommunication and misunderstanding about this whole "austerity" and "cheap" debate that it's hard for anyone to get a point across anymore. Of course, how can any team that's spending $230M this year be reasonably criticized as cheap? Even if their payroll is $189M next year, that's still more than most other teams, right? However, the other reality is that so much of that money is fixed cost from existing contracts that it leaves little to no flexibility to do anything else but sign washed up veterans on short term deals in hopes of capturing lightning in a bottle. The prevailing strategy now is more motivated by cutting rather than building. Personally, I accept that as a sensible long term strategy. The trouble is that in the short term, the team has a multitude of weaknesses and holes with no apparent internal solutions, and a limited ability to fix them from the outside because they just don't have the resources.
    Well said.

Well said and this I agree with.

no flexibility to do anything else but sign washed up veterans on short term deals in hopes of capturing lightning in a bottle.
    This is higher probability play than signing young "promising" players that haven't delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Imposing a budget on Cashman during last year's trade deadline was a real dick move. I was more annoyed by that than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Imposing a budget on Cashman during last year's trade deadline was a real dick move. I was more annoyed by that than anything.
    After dropping nearly a half billion in contractual guarantees this offseason, can we finally put the "austerity" meme and the "Hal doesn't care about winning" meme to bed?

Yes calling him cheap was the dumbest name given to anyone
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Yes calling him cheap was the dumbest name given to anyone
    George is rolling over in his grave about the amount of money Hal has spent
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    After dropping nearly a half billion in contractual guarantees this offseason, can we finally put the "austerity" meme and the "Hal doesn't care about winning" meme to bed?
    In all fairness, the previous austerity plan coupled with poor player development led the train wreck that was 2013, which led to a financial hit for the team, which led to the spending spree this offseason.

Addicted Member

My previous post in no way endorses the validity of this thread. It is just recognizing the sequence of events that led us to today.

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    In all fairness, the previous austerity plan coupled with poor player development led the train wreck that was 2013, which led to a financial hit for the team, which led to the spending spree this offseason.
    I'd say that the Tex/A-Rod/Jeter/Granderson injuries had a heck of a lot more to do with last year's results, as well as CC's decline, than some perceived "austerity" plan did.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'd say that the Tex/A-Rod/Jeter/Granderson injuries had a heck of a lot more to do with last year's results, as well as CC's decline, than some perceived "austerity" plan did.
    There was nothing austere about anything the Yanks did
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    Only in Yankeefanland can the team smash the all time record for payroll (breaking its own record from the previous year), and spend $240 million on players and have it be considered an austerity plan.

You, sir, should run for Congress.

Thread Information