+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 71
  1. #26
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Fort Myers

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    The Yankees are ready for World War Z!
    Right.

  2. #27
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    This kid has a SLG of 1.167 - not an OPS (which is 1.833), but a slugging percentage.

    I realize that it is only two starts and these numbers will begin to normalize, but thus far, this kid is causing me to Zoil my pants.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  3. #28

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Zoilo is just such a great name.

  4. #29
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    ride the wave, Joe.

    I want to say Zo-LEE -O
    but it's ZOY-LO
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  5. #30
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    so, two more doubles today?? wtf....
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  6. #31
    Trade Bait Mr.Muhozi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    City Of London

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    so, two more doubles today?? wtf....
    Both oppo field.

  7. #32

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Adams was doing this when he was called up. Then he got the pull bug. Hope it doesn't spread to Zoilo, because his approach is really good.

  8. #33
    there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    "The Bad boy of baseball is back"

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    Adams was doing this when he was called up. Then he got the pull bug. Hope it doesn't spread to Zoilo, because his approach is really good.
    keep Long away from him. He's pure dominican anyway, no way he'd understand him.
    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

  9. #34
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    so, two more doubles today?? wtf....
    Two for four with four total bases and yet his BA and OPS both drop.

    WTF??
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  10. #35
    there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    "The Bad boy of baseball is back"

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Two for four with four total bases and yet his BA and OPS both drop.

    WTF??
    cuz he struck out in the last AB. If not he'd have a better OPS and BA.

    That's why it's a flawed stat, cuz' a batter could be a better power hitter and a strikeout affect on the OPS will completely knock his power stat down. His BA should drop cuz' obviously the ball is not in play and that's a negative. But in no way and many people that follow baseball stats, in no way should it flaw his power production.
    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

  11. #36
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ARoDfan4life View Post
    cuz he struck out in the last AB. If not he'd have a better OPS and BA.

    That's why it's a flawed stat, cuz' a batter could be a better power hitter and a strikeout affect on the OPS will completely knock his power stat down. His BA should drop cuz' obviously the ball is not in play and that's a negative. But in no way and many people that follow baseball stats, in no way should it flaw his power production.
    A strikeout affects his OPS the same way a groundout would...

  12. #37
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    A strikeout affects his OPS the same way a groundout would...
    Despite the fact that a groundout displays considerably more power. QED. Distorted stat.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  13. #38
    there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    "The Bad boy of baseball is back"

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    A strikeout affects his OPS the same way a groundout would...
    I know but a SO and GO is like a death sentence to your avg/obp/slg ... he asked why it was lowered when he had two doubles.
    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

  14. #39
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ARoDfan4life View Post
    I know but a SO and GO is like a death sentence to your avg/obp/slg ... he asked why it was lowered when he had two doubles.
    It was lowered because it was so absurdly high going into the game.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  15. #40
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Despite the fact that a groundout displays considerably more power. QED. Distorted stat.
    How do you define power? A groundout usually results from a weak swing. A really hard grounder has a better chance of getting through or causing an error. Given that both result in an out, if you are going to think about power, isn't bat speed rather than contact more important?

    Conversely, how many strikeouts are the result of a huge power stroke on two strikes that missed the ball because of a good pitch?

    It's not a distortion of the stat--it's simply limiting the input to actual bases earned by hits. You are distorting the stat by asking it to do something it really can't do. I have this problem with many of the criticisms of stats by the baseball quant-jocks.

    It is fair to say that BA is overvalued in estimating the worth of a player, for example. It is not fair to say the stat itself is distorted. It all depends on how it is used.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  16. #41
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    How do you define power? A groundout usually results from a weak swing. A really hard grounder has a better chance of getting through or causing an error. Given that both result in an out, if you are going to think about power, isn't bat speed rather than contact more important?

    Conversely, how many strikeouts are the result of a huge power stroke on two strikes that missed the ball because of a good pitch?

    It's not a distortion of the stat--it's simply limiting the input to actual bases earned by hits. You are distorting the stat by asking it to do something it really can't do. I have this problem with many of the criticisms of stats by the baseball quant-jocks.

    It is fair to say that BA is overvalued in estimating the worth of a player, for example. It is not fair to say the stat itself is distorted. It all depends on how it is used.
    I'm measuring power by how far the ball goes. Heck, I could swing really hard and miss the ball.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  17. #42
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I'm measuring power by how far the ball goes. Heck, I could swing really hard and miss the ball.
    So a really weak swinger who could NEVER get the ball out of the infield has more power than a hard swinger who COULD hit it into the next county, but does so rarely? To me, outs are outs and attributing power to them is meaningless. In fact, I could argue that grounders represent less power than a SO, as they can remove a second baserunner via DP, while a SO cannot. To me, power is about total bases, not how far the ball goes into a mitt.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  18. #43
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Sarcasm?

  19. #44
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Sarcasm?
    It's a possibility.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  20. #45
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Sarcasm?
    Finally, someone who understood my comment.

    Where is the sarcasm smilie when you need it?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  21. #46
    NYYF MVP

    YankeeStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Does anyone else get the impression that the Yankees kind of sandbag on their good prospects and then overhype ones that aren't that great so they can trade them?

    The prospects over the last 10 years or so :

    Not very hyped:
    Robbie Cano
    Chien Ming Wang
    Francisco Cervelli
    Ivan Nova
    David Phelps
    Adam Warren
    Preston Claiborne
    Zoilo Almonte
    Brett Gardner
    Eduardo Nunez


    Hyped:
    Phil Hughes
    Jesus Montero
    Dellin Betances
    Manny Banuelos
    Eric Duncan
    Andrew Brackman
    Joba Chamberlain
    Tyler Clippard
    Ian Kennedy
    “When you have the chance to take the ball for the World Champs, you take the ball.”—Roger Clemens

  22. #47
    Addicted Member
    Norge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Jersey

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStripes View Post
    Does anyone else get the impression that the Yankees kind of sandbag on their good prospects and then overhype ones that aren't that great so they can trade them?

    The prospects over the last 10 years or so :

    Not very hyped:
    Robbie Cano
    Chien Ming Wang
    Francisco Cervelli
    Ivan Nova
    David Phelps
    Adam Warren
    Preston Claiborne
    Zoilo Almonte
    Brett Gardner
    Eduardo Nunez


    Hyped:
    Phil Hughes
    Jesus Montero
    Dellin Betances
    Manny Banuelos
    Eric Duncan
    Andrew Brackman
    Joba Chamberlain
    Tyler Clippard
    Ian Kennedy
    Dioner Navarro and Melky probably belong in that hyped category. Drew Henson, too

  23. #48
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post
    Dioner Navarro and Melky probably belong in that hyped category. Drew Henson, too
    I'm not so sure about Melky. I was at the game where he got his first hit. He was sent back down shortly thereafter after not much production and some klutz plays. I think it was a surprise when he came back up to stay, and it was more for lack of an alternative. I don't remember any huge hype on him. Canó had way more hype.

    Navarro, for sure.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  24. #49
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStripes View Post
    Does anyone else get the impression that the Yankees kind of sandbag on their good prospects and then overhype ones that aren't that great so they can trade them?
    Would you rather the team hype the better prospects so that teams demand them in trades?

    It seems to me like this modus operandi is EXACTLY what I want the front office to do, not the opposite.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  25. #50
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2013 Zoilo Almonte Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I'm not so sure about Melky. I was at the game where he got his first hit. He was sent back down shortly thereafter after not much production and some klutz plays. I think it was a surprise when he came back up to stay, and it was more for lack of an alternative. I don't remember any huge hype on him. Canó had way more hype.

    Navarro, for sure.
    Agreed on Melky. He was brought up out of necessity, and wasn't much hyped before that.

    Also, nice job on the accent.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts